• CMQ Motive power

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by 690

It was at Newport, and there was a job running down to Newport this morning, so I'd assume they will pick it up.
  by Dcl1332

LETX 3816 was on job 2 today with CITX 3082, CMQ 9014, CMQ 9024, and LETX 2542. Frederic Pansini posted a video of it heading to Fernham On one of CMQ Facebook page saying it was a power movie for job 1 because there were no cars. Note only CITX 3082 was under power. I read 3816 needs to go to Derby to get everything ready to go. More then likely hitching a ride to Brownville Junction on the next Job 1 then Derby.
  by Dcl1332

Was worndering if anyone had any updated information on how many GP38-3 CMQ are leaseing off LETX and how soon they would start replacing the B23-7. What I know is 3812 and 3816 have been delivered, and 3817 is being finished up at AMP. I also heard that LETX GP35 2503, 2506, 2541, and 2580 were sent to AMP to be converted to GP38-3 for CMQ (note one of these four may be 3817 sence I have not found out any info on its past). That said that means that at least CMQ is getting 6 to 7 units and I think originally they were planing on 8. At the same time all but 2 of the B23-7 are going strong again. A month ago it look like they were being phased out because only 2002 and 2003 were out on normal runs, and 2004 was seen from time to time, but right now they are all going strong beside 2001 which is down on The Rockland Branch with electrical and 2005 that's not run sence the MMA days. The main reason I ask is I am hoping to get some photos of the barns, GP38-8, and the B23-7 this summer when i in Maine this summer.
  by KSmitty

3815 has been on property a while. It's Larry's red and gray, but I belive it's here to stay. Same number series and recent rebuild, just like the others.
  by KSmitty

While we're on the subject of motive power, it's worth noting that CMQ may have some much newer, bigger, AC power coming.

Rumor hazit that they are looking for AC44's or SD70MAC's. Traffic on the Moosehead is up and the barns aren't enough.

So stay tuned to see if that develops...I can see where it makes sense, but I'm a bit skeptical they have the money....
  by MEC407

Interesting. CN is scrapping SD60Fs; probably too late at this point for CMQ to snatch a few of those. That might've been a more affordable option than leasing 44s or 70s.

Presumably there's still a pretty big supply of ex-CSX Dash 8-40Cs available, since PAR took only 20 of them; that might be a compelling option for CMQ, especially from an affordability perspective (I have to assume they're priced pretty damned low or else PAR wouldn't have acquired any!).
  by fogg1703

MEC407 wrote:Interesting. CN is scrapping SD60Fs; probably too late at this point for CMQ to snatch a few of those. That might've been a more affordable option than leasing 44s or 70s.
A reoccuring rumor over the last month is that out of the 50 some odd 9500 series CP AC4400CW stored at St Luc, a group could be CMQ bound.
  by MEC407

Interesting. If they can get a good deal on some of those, they're pretty much impossible to beat. The only thing better would be an ES44AC and those aren't going to be cheap anytime soon.
  by 690

MEC407 wrote:Interesting. CN is scrapping SD60Fs; probably too late at this point for CMQ to snatch a few of those. That might've been a more affordable option than leasing 44s or 70s.

Presumably there's still a pretty big supply of ex-CSX Dash 8-40Cs available, since PAR took only 20 of them; that might be a compelling option for CMQ, especially from an affordability perspective (I have to assume they're priced pretty damned low or else PAR wouldn't have acquired any!).
At this point, any heavy power they're interested in acquiring will be ACs, which will be very useful on the Moosehead, especially if they can get them with DPU, which would be hugely beneficial given the track profile. Initially, they were interested in getting SD70MACs, but no one wants to sell those, and they would rather not lease them. There are a group of CEFX AC4400s being stored on the CP that they looked at, and might buy, but it's too early to say whether it will happen or not. But they are rather power short right now. if they did want to lease, there's a group of CREX ES44s that were on CSX that are apparently being returned now that EHH is at the Helm.

Pan Am bought the Dash 8s for ~200k apiece, with some sort of warranty deal on them.
  by KSmitty

My educated guestimate is that older AC power, the vintage CMQ is reportedly looking at is probably in the 500k range. A little newer than the C40's and AC traction should be worth another 300k. And Pan Am got a sweetheart deal on those C40's, arguably getting them at a deflated price, since SD40-2's are going for close to that...
  by 690

Nah, the only reason a Dash 8 is worth 200k is because of the warranty. Otherwise, you can get them at an auction for 50-80k a unit.
  by Dcl1332

KSmitty wrote:While we're on the subject of motive power, it's worth noting that CMQ may have some much newer, bigger, AC power coming.

Rumor hazit that they are looking for AC44's or SD70MAC's. Traffic on the Moosehead is up and the barns aren't enough.

So stay tuned to see if that develops...I can see where it makes sense, but I'm a bit skeptical they have the money....
That's good to hear that traffic is up on the CMQ. I noticed the other day that all the lease CITX Sd40-2 are running. For granted if I remember correctly 9004, 9022, and 3057 ( not 100 on this just my best gess sence it MIA right now) are getting work done at Derby. That only leaves 8 barns and 5 SD 40-2 to do jobs 1 and 2 and it seams that on average at least 3 of these engines are on each train plus what extra power they have from the b23-7, Gp35u, and GP38-3. I can see why there looking into more engines. I have got to give Derby some credit because lately they seem to be busy keeping the eninges going and there not having many problem. just 9004 and 9022 are big projects let alone all the other work there are doing.
  by Dcl1332

Just read today on CMQ Facebook page that LETX 3280 left Derby for Northern Maine Junction. There Pan Am is taking it as it heads back to LETX. Surprised that CMQ didn't try to release it sence they are releaseing all the CITX units, or LETX leased it to another railroad. Info from Matt Sawyer.
  by Dcl1332

Been reading on Facebook that LETX 3817 is on its way to CMQ. It's in the CMQ paint scheme.
  by Dcl1332

Saw photos that 9022 was on the Millinocket job today. It's the first time it's been out sence it was delivered. Info from Harry Gordon.