• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

My mind must be playing tricks on me. Was Presby not taking delivery at Hazen's for a while?
  by RRFAN

Yes, sometime from last summer to the beginning of this summer presby hasent bought any pellets. So basicly just the whole winter.
  by NHV 669

b&m 1566 wrote:My mind must be playing tricks on me. Was Presby not taking delivery at Hazen's for a while?
I'm under the impression that they have previously taken car(s) at the former Isaacson Steel building in Berlin that Presby bought not that long ago. There have been cars spotted there on a couple times that I've ridden by.
  by 690

The 3806 was again parked at Hazen last night, this time on the old Mountain Division. Three covered hoppers for Presby's again.
  by Fritz

bigfreight,
Thanks for the report. I heard them blowing their horn for the U.S. 3 crossing north of Lancaster just as I finished a meeting. I followed them (SLR GP40-3 3806 light engine) to Groveton, where they arrive around 1220. After coupling to a single covered hopper, they returned south around 1230.

There was no action around North Stratford or Shops, but I did note that they have now installed all of the ~85 foot 115 pound rail between North Stratford and Shops and they redid the farm crossing just south of Lovejoys, where the turntable was located. The tracks look really nice.

They have also completely filled two tracks in the yard at Shops and line from about half mile north of Shops north to Cones with stored tank cars.
Have a great day,
Fritz
  by bigfreight

Caught SLR3086 coming north thru Lancaster yesterday with one covered hopper. Photos taken at Page Hill Road
  by bigfreight

I think they just short term leased it so NHCR7324 does not have to be brought down form N Stratford every time they need to move cars to and from Hazen.
  by svobronco

"There was no action around North Stratford or Shops, but I did note that they have now installed all of the ~85 foot 115 pound rail between North Stratford and Shops and they redid the farm crossing just south of Lovejoys, where the turntable was located. The tracks look really nice."

That only took about 5 years......
  by RJDC85

Bigfreight,
Thank you for the response- that makes a lot of sense from an operations standpoint. I wonder how long this lease is for- perhaps 90 days? I presume traffic levels are down on the STL&A/they have enough motive power for current levels to afford the lease of a road engine.
  by Fritz

Hello,
I have a question that has been "floating" around in my mind for awhile now: Is there a runaround or other way for the NHCR to run around cars when they are being spotted at or pulled from Hazens? As far as I can tell, there is no such runaround, and the only way I can think that the NHCR is able to run around cars pulled south is to push them up the Conway Scenic lead and to let them roll downhill to the west (the lead to the Conway Scenic extends east and has a west-facing switch). Otherwise, they would have to push cars all the way to or from Lancaster, where there are (currently) two empty sidings. Thanks for any help understanding how the NHCR places and pulls cars at Hazens.
Best,
Fritz
  by Mikejf

If the old MEC main is empty, they could use that for the passing siding. Other than that, it is a highly guarded secret...