• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by amtrakhogger

The 901 is in Wilmington outside the shop and coupled to a P40. If the 937 is still around, it is in Bear DE.
  by ApproachMedium

937 was also a turd often paired with the 931. Out of the 931, 32, 33, and 37 in the DC class only the 932 seemed to run without problems much.
  by amtrakhogger

The 937 had a high propensity for speed pick-up faults, so you had to be real careful on slippery rail.
  by aem7ac921

Very interesting...
Last time I saw 937 it was paired with 931 lol. Believe it or not but I had 933 on my train the day before it caught on fire. I was traveling to Washington from New Haven. Around Bridgeport, it crapped out. After recycling it multiple times, it decided to cooperate and we limped to Penn Station, where 942 replaced it. The next day it went down to DC and caught on fire. On my way back to New Haven about a week later, I had 936 and 947 doubleheading. Complications developed in Newark, and 949 was called from Sunnyside Yard to tow my train, making a rare triple header. Perhaps anyone remembers these incidents?
  by ApproachMedium

I remember them. Because i remember getting the 933 and shopping it to DC for thyristor oil leaks. In which upon its arrival the DC someone avoided it being shopped, said it works and put it on a train where it of course caught fire because of you know, nothing to cool it off.
  by David Benton

[quote="aem7ac921"] After recycling it multiple times, /quote]
Amtrak has managed to become a lot "greener"than I thought.
  by aem7ac921

ApproachMedium wrote:I remember them. Because i remember getting the 933 and shopping it to DC for thyristor oil leaks. In which upon its arrival the DC someone avoided it being shopped, said it works and put it on a train where it of course caught fire because of you know, nothing to cool it off.
Wow it's cool to hear another side of the story!
David Benton wrote:
aem7ac921 wrote: After recycling it multiple times, /quote]
Amtrak has managed to become a lot "greener"than I thought.
Haha very funny I see what you did there :-D

I'm apologize that I'm asking so many questions, but how was the 906 and 907? Were they good DCs or turd as so many of them have been described as?
  by Martin Baumann

933 fire was July 14 2011
  by aem7ac921

Martin Baumann wrote:933 fire was July 14 2011

July 13, 2011 was the day I went to Washington on train 145, and 933 led from New Haven to NYC, when 942 came to the rescue.
  by 8th Notch

amtrakhogger wrote:The 901 is in Wilmington outside the shop and coupled to a P40. If the 937 is still around, it is in Bear DE.
Is it still that crummy old P42 828 or whatever in the Phase IV? When I was in Choo Choo U awhile ago they said that was going to be made a training unit....
  by ApproachMedium

906 was alright, 907 always had APL converter problems or HEP problems. It would run good for a while then the same issues would come back. It was the unit I trained on.
  by ACeInTheHole

909 I remember hearing was a good one. 905 had that wake the dead loud K5LA. i never once heard it without jumping, even when looking at it, full well knowing it was going to blow.
  by east point

It appears that some MARC Penn line trains are using Amtrak AEM-7s . Begs the question has MARC quit using Hippos ? That would solve some of the MARC maintenance problems that Amtrak does not want to handle after July 1 and probably now ..
  by amtrakhogger

8th Notch wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:The 901 is in Wilmington outside the shop and coupled to a P40. If the 937 is still around, it is in Bear DE.
Is it still that crummy old P42 828 or whatever in the Phase IV? When I was in Choo Choo U awhile ago they said that was going to be made a training unit....
I think it is the 808? I cannot see the number because it is hidden by a building. I will check tomorrow.
  by ApproachMedium

It is the 828. the 808 became an NJT unit i think.

MARC is still operating HHP-8s as we speak.