• NYNJ Rail Sightings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by ccutler

I drove through the NYNJ service area near Bayonne and saw the following:
1. the warehouse served by NYNJ south of the car ferry area in Bayonne is busy as ever..9 box cars spotted. Also of interest is a relatively new warehouse, apparently for a trucking company, with about 18 box cars spotted on two parallel tracks. In the center three-track area, there is a shipper at the end with just a few box cars. All the covered hopper transload business is gone. There is a PANYNJ proposal to build an onsite ship to rail container terminal at that site but no prep work has started.
2. Moving north, there were few cars in the yard for transload to ferries for NYNJ. There were some decent cuts of Tropicana cars and box cars further west.
A few other sightings further north in Jersey City, though these are served by Conrail Shared Assets:
3. The SIMS metal scapping site appears busy as ever.
4. The Daily News print plant at Liberty State Park did not have any box cars spotted but the track showed signs of ongoing use.
5. The tracks to the cement transload facility appears worked-on and eight covered hoppers were spotted at that facility.
  by JoeRailRoad

ccutler wrote:I drove through the NYNJ service area near Bayonne and saw the following:
1. the warehouse served by NYNJ south of the car ferry area in Bayonne is busy as ever..9 box cars spotted. Also of interest is a relatively new warehouse, apparently for a trucking company, with about 18 box cars spotted on two parallel tracks. In the center three-track area, there is a shipper at the end with just a few box cars. All the covered hopper transload business is gone. There is a PANYNJ proposal to build an onsite ship to rail container terminal at that site but no prep work has started.....
Those car you saw are at Port Jersey RR in Jersey City which is also owned by the PANYNJ along with NYNJ Rail.

There isn't any car ferry in Greenville, it's a carfloat service that's towed by tugboat.

You can find more information about Port Jersey RR & NYNJ Rail here: http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nynjr.html

Joe
  by ccutler

JoeRailroad, thanks for the insights and I enjoyed your link.
Here are two photos I took of the yard area. Since it was Saturday there was no traffic, but the whole area is marked "no parking."
  by JoeRailRoad

ccutler wrote:JoeRailroad, thanks for the insights and I enjoyed your link.
Here are two photos I took of the yard area. Since it was Saturday there was no traffic, but the whole area is marked "no parking."
Thanks for posting the pictures.

I noticed that a SW type locomotive is coupled to the new engine 5102.

I wonder if the two are MUed together?

Joe
  by bk77

With the new gensets they now have (I see there is on one the NJ side now), do they still use the EMD switchers??
  by Ðauntless

They don't have Gensets.
  by bk77

Sorry, I actually know the SE10B's aren't gensets... it sometimes comes out "force of habit".

Back to the original question... do they still use the old EMD's?
  by freightguy

The newer engines don't have as much power as the old EMD products. They put two of them together to pull a float verse just using one.
  by jtunnel

Spent a little time on Second Avenue yesterday. Another busy day, and a busy customer.

https://youtu.be/NtksdunK5Bc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ALcocentury

Nice video of the operation, thanks for posting. I enjoyed it very much. Enjoy your day, looking forward to your future video posts, of this unique water front operation.
  by Backshophoss

From that video,seems that the ex-UP/SP SW-1500 still rules the roost at Bay Ridge.
  by rr503

I'm pretty sure that's the SE10. Look at the fans, stacks and the length of the hood.
  by jtunnel

The EMD has gone back to the lessor.

I posted a few photos here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskvEc5uE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Until RR Pictures is done with their upgrade.
  by kamerad47

Is that southrern covered hopper one of the recycled glass cars from NY & A ?????? They are NS traffic & wondering if this how they go?????