• NYNJ Rail Sightings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by rscott417

[quote="jtunnel"]They sometimes go early in the morning to avoid First Avenue traffic/quote]
How early are we talking, I'm wondering if I might be able to catch them on my way home from work when I'm on midnights.
  by jtunnel

First run in the morning. Sometimes 6:30-7 -ish. No later then 9.

But then there are the days they go before lunch around 10.
  by rr503

Nice shots!
Any idea who gets the tanks?
  by kamerad47

Really nice Pic's !!!!! Two of my fav's Train & Tugboats !!!!!!!
  by jtunnel

Paid a brief visit over art Port Jersey/Greenville side yesterday.

Looks like there has been some work all around, with more on the way. Fair amount of boxcar traffic, but not as much covered hopper traffic on the Port Jersey side of things.

http://jtunnel.rrpicturearchives.net/ar ... ?id=113809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by kamerad47

Nice Pic"s !!!!!! Nice to see Boxcars they are rare nowadays !!!!! so much intermodel stuff now !!!!!! That big MP car looks like one of those old auto part cars!!!!!! Who's wharehouse is that ????? I guess sunday was a good day to look there no one around to call the cops on you ????
  by jtunnel

I go on Sunday to avoid the heavy truck traffic. There is always security and police patrols down here. Port Authority and the BMW both have high value operations down here. There are several receivers in that warehouse.
  by jtunnel

On Wednesday there were some BMT issues, so I was walking. The NYNJ was working the NY&A interchange tracks. Shot a short video:

https://youtu.be/tPLPpO_9yzg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

19 car shove back to Bay Ridge Yard, might have been downhill, but still looked impressive.
  by ccutler

Very cool jtunnel, thanks for posting!

Would you know if that a typical daily run? Might those first 5 empty gons be intended for Sims, interchanged through CSX?
  by jtunnel

This is more or less "typical" from my observations.

Freight traffic appears to be cyclical, with lulls near the end of winter and mid-summer.

There seems to be a fair amount of stored cars at 65th Street, and as scrap traffic winds down, more empty cars end up being stored.

The Sims operation for NYNJRR in South Brooklyn is usually handled by NS Gons. (Older pipe service gondolas, as the tend to get cubed recyclables)
  by DogBert

Took a ride down there yesterday, looked like a lot of CEFX/GERX cars stored for gershow. There were two lines of them at the old cross harbor yard on first ave, and another on the southernmost NYA/NYNJRR interchange track.

Long cut of mixed cars also sitting at the interchange. Boxes, tanks, lumber, covered hoppers.

SIMS's 2 track siding was full of NS gons, and there were 3 more in the lot leading up to sims.
  by ccutler

Thanks jtunnel and dogbert for updates!
  by kamerad47

Really nice pic's !!!!! A little cold down by rhe river !!!!!! :wink: