Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Jo24Sam

It is now 3:30PM, and the MTA website still has the same memos from this morning with zero updates about the suspensions. Sad.
  by Kelly&Kelly

An LIRR spokesman just announced on Cablevision News 12 that the Railroad experienced "a dynamic morning".
Dynamic -- marked by usually continuous and productive activity or change
Truly priceless.
  by Commuter X

LIRRCC Chair Mark Epstein said “when weather conditions disrupt service, the LIRR’s communication with riders must be timely, accurate, and clear. Riders enduring these difficult conditions must have the information that they need to access available service. Unfortunately many riders today did not receive adequate information from the LIRR.”

Epic Fail

Just change the date ... the story is the same

http://www.pcac.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... ation1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Jo24Sam

8:10PM and NOTHING new on the website at all about the suspended branches. How does someone from those areas plan for tomorrow's morning commute?! Their big website update today was that the PW branch is back and to take the subway to the Islanders game in Brooklyn. Unreal.
  by DogBert

Whoever manages the updates for the website is probably on vacation, or stuck on a train.

Sad truth is many organizations don't have enough tech staff to cover when someone is on vacation, sick, etc. Often no one else is trained to handle that responsibility.
  by nyandw

What about software for remote access? PC Anywhere, etc. An organization this large doesn't have a 2nd person to do web updates? Geez, I'm available... :wink: I have donned my Kevlar armor...
  by northpit

bunch of sniveling whiners
  by Jeff Smith

Fox5NY.com
MTA: All LIRR service resumes
For countless commuters, Monday morning was a tedious game of hurry up and wait for a train that may or may not come. If you wanted to take a train from Long Beach, you were out of luck. While the platforms were clear of snow, ice and snow covered the third rail, several trains sat at the station, as workers shoveled the tracks by hand. Finally some Long Island Railroad service was restored Monday morning, but four lines remain suspended.

LIRR train service is restored on the Babylon, Ronkonkoma, and Huntington branches with express trains making local stops until they are filled. Train service is also restored in diesel territory – Oyster Bay and Port Jefferson branches, between Greenport and Ronkonkoma and west of Speonk on the Montauk Branch.

But Monday night, LIRR train service remained suspended on the Far Rockaway, Hempstead, Long Beach and West Hempstead branches, and east of Speonk on the Montauk Branch due to the on-going effects of this weekend’s blizzard. Service between Jamaica Station and Atlantic Terminal is also suspended. Instead, LIRR tickets are cross-honored by New York City Transit on the Nos. 2 and 3 subway lines between Brooklyn and Penn Station.

Officials with the LIRR delays and cancelations on the historic amount of snow along with refreezing rails and switches. The LIRR's Aaron Donovan said in a statement: "... our crews are working around the clock -- just as they have been through the storm, and all weekend -- to restore full service to our riders. In terms of communications, the railroads are very aggressive in providing information directly to customers so they can plan their travels."
  by cam36

northpit wrote:bunch of sniveling whiners
Commuters are whiners because they were blatantly lied to and are ticked off? I think riders understand that this was a pretty large blizzard, but to have the LIRR come out and say that everything will be operational for the Monday morning commute was ridiculous. Had they said there will be cancellations and limited service from the start, people could make other accommodations. Instead, there were thousands of people cramming on platforms, standing in the cold while packed out trains pass them. People understand that commuter rail is a complicated system, but there needs to be honest and accurate communication from the LIRR to it's customers.
  by Slippy

Cam, commuters are going to be ticked off regardless of how this storm was handled. People should have better situational awareness and be more realistic with their expectations. The governor ordered a full shut down of the biggest commuter railroad in the country along with a ban on vehicular traffic for an extended period of time. How quickly do you expect this place to jump start? K&K elaborated in detail what is required, and it doesn't happen in the span of a few hours. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Don't fool yourself, Alfonso Castillo and his peanut gallery of journalists would be publishing their ill-faded logic pieces in Newsday no matter how things were handled.
  by tahawus84

My problem is not with how the railroad cleaned up. Most people I talked to understood that the storm was large and would take time to recover from. My issue is that the railroad said Sunday night that Monday service would be restored on the pj line. When I woke up I checked the lirr website and Twitter and there were no updates and it said service would be restored at 5am. I get to the station for the 5:44 and the train pulls up and the doors stay shut. Then they change the reader board to say that all service is suspended until 7am. They never even bothered to announce it. I would not have been mad had it been communicated via the many outlets they have available. I could have stayed home.

Then when I finally get a train it makes all local stops to Jamaica. The train was beyond full and we were still making stops and no one could even board it as there was no room.

Hopefully this can just be a learning experience for future storms.
  by Head-end View

I think it was a mistake to have all trains making all stops. It leads to the kind of insane crowding that occurred on Monday. They might have done something similar to a normal weekday where trains beginning their run at different points along the line only make a certain number of stops to more evenly distribute the passenger load.
  by cam36

Slippy wrote:Cam, commuters are going to be ticked off regardless of how this storm was handled. People should have better situational awareness and be more realistic with their expectations. The governor ordered a full shut down of the biggest commuter railroad in the country along with a ban on vehicular traffic for an extended period of time. How quickly do you expect this place to jump start? K&K elaborated in detail what is required, and it doesn't happen in the span of a few hours. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Don't fool yourself, Alfonso Castillo and his peanut gallery of journalists would be publishing their ill-faded logic pieces in Newsday no matter how things were handled.
So what you're saying is commuters should've known that there would be limited service and cancellations across the board, despite being told from the LIRR that normal service would return for the 5am Monday morning commute? It's not about people understanding that it takes a long time to get the railroad up and running after being shut down, its about being told one thing, and getting delivered the complete opposite. Again, had the LIRR alerted its customers that there would be very limited service throughout the day Monday, the catastrophe that occurred would've been avoided. People would've either taken the day, worked from home or driven, but instead they were crammed on station platforms like sardines. As a commuter, it's frustrating that a large percentage of the time, I don't make it home on time. I do however, understand that most of the situations that cause delays are out of the railroad's control. I just think there needs to be better communication and more accountability from the LIRR and more accommodation for its passengers.
  by Publius Plunkett

cam36..did you fill out a customer comment card?