• Pan Am's Heritage Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by 690

Kind of an inevitability on those GP9s unless they get daily washes. But besides those streaks, they don't usually let the 52 or 77 get too dirty.
  by MEC407

Video by RRFAN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vK47vX13jk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by MEC407

Photo by Derek Carpine:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=559076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by NHV 669

I feel stupid for asking, but with 52 facing south, how are they dropping those cars? Are they going all the way down into Whitefield and backing them in? with no wye, how is 52 also leading back to the shop?
  by RAJ21985

Casey,
Was wondering the same thing myself!
  by newpylong

Hazens is a south/west facing switch.

My guess is they dropped the car down behind the engine at Hazens for the return leg. Baring that the only other option would be to use the wye at Whitefield and run around the car on the MEC, but I think that is full of stored cars?
  by Mikejf

Well, they could drop the whole string on the old MEC, run around to the Hazens end, shove and drop the boxcar out on the main by the diamond, and pull the tanks back into the MEC siding for storage, returning to the B&M main with the loco to go back to the diamond to get the boxcar. Really no other way to do it, unless they do flying switches...
  by gokeefe

Funny to think that somewhere out in the woods, on an old forgotten branch line in northern New Hampshire, unbothered by the prying eyes of inspectors, that 19th century railroad practices might still endure.
  by newpylong

Still allowed on most railroads including Pan Am.
  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:Still allowed on most railroads including Pan Am.
No kidding. I didn't realize that. Thanks!
  by NHV 669

newpylong wrote:Barring that the only other option would be to use the wye at Whitefield and run around the car on the MEC, but I think that is full of stored cars?
which wye would that be? Google doesn't seem to show any sign of one. As for the tracks being full, given RRFan's reports and my own 9-28 viewing from the airport crossing, the tracks were empty prior to these movements
  by newpylong

The interchange track right at the diamond in Whitefield. Perhaps wrong wording, but it is a way to get from the BM to MEC at the west end.
  by NHV 669

Gotcha. Didn't know if the parts down that far were still serviceable. Might confuse a few residents into thinking trains have come back from the dead, lol.