• B. P. & R.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by pmirl

Hi all! I recently found out my great-grandfather, John Lindsay, worked for the B. P. & R. from 1899 to 1932 when it went out of business, then worked on the B & O until his retirement as an engineer in 1937. Does anyone know where I may get information on what type of trains he was the engineer on? He was out of the Dubois, Pennsylvania area. I did find a partial scrapbook with these two newspaper photos in it.

Thanks,

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by scottychaos

Paul,
the BR&P was the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railway.
it connected its three namesake cities..this page has a system map:

http://www.r2parks.net/BR&P.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was the BR&P, not the BP&R. ;)

The part about it being taken over by the B&O in 1932 is correct, however your two photos have nothing to do with the BR&P.
the first one is a PRR T1, and the second is a New York Central 4-8-4 Niagara. both completely unrelated to the BR&P.

I have been working on a BR&P locomotive roster, but its not on-line yet.
BR&P had some interesting modern steam..they had 4-4-2's and 4-6-2's for passenger service,
and they were well known for their 2-8-8-2 Mallets, which they used to haul heavy coal trains.
here is another page with some info:

http://www.american-rails.com/buffalo-r ... ilway.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
  by pmirl

Thanks Scot.

This is all new to me and finding out a bit about him has sparked my interest.
  by TB Diamond

The late Paul Pietrak authored an excellent book on the BR&P entitled BUFFALO ROCHESTER & PITTSBURGH RAILWAY (1979).

Copies appear for sale on eBay from time to time and the book can also be found on such sites as Amazon.
  by ExCon90

The photos of a PRR T1 and a NYC Niagara suggest that maybe he was something of a railfan as well as an engineer, with interests extending beyond his own railroad.