• Southern PA's most interesting track

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by gprimr1

I was driving around Coatesville yesterday, and before that I've always considered the Vinence Industrial track Southern PA's most interesting track, the way it's built like a child's roller coaster. Well I think I found one that tops it.

The track that leads from the Keystone line bridge, straight down the mountain and connects with the track coming from the steel plant. I'm really curious, is this track in use? It looks like it has a brand new switch up on the Keystone line, but the grade on it is insanely steep.
  by pumpers

I am not from there but from Google map photos it sure seems to be in service (cars at the steel mill).

Here is a Google StreetView image from the GLencrest Rd crossing just north of the main, down the hill. The shot is looking back south and you can see the grade going back up. (or you can rotate the view 180 degrees if you know how to do that and see the grade down the other way). The image might be distorted in some way but it gives you the idea:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9874588 ... 56!6m1!1e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ALso looking at some of the other crossings this way they seem to be very well maintained, consistent with being in service.
Jim S
  by rob216

The track you are talking about is still in service. It is owned by Norfolk Southern. They will shove their cars down the hill to a switch back and then going into the scrap yard. From there, they drop off cars for the Brandywine Valley Railroad and the East Penn Railroad. On their way out, they shove back up the hill and go on their way. They really work it hard going up the hill.
  by gprimr1

Interesting to know. I traced the line south and it goes down to Wilmington. I figured that hill was abandoned, and the cars just came up north from Wilmington.

I'm guessing it's primarily an overnight operation or are there opportunities to see this during the day?
  by rob216

Im really not sure when they run down to the mill. But they do run the high and wide trains on Saturday mourning from Lancaster to Coastsville and back.