• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by ut-1

Snowmojoe: The railroad limits one GP to take 6-8 loads up Paris Hill's 1.8% grade to Sangerfield. These loads are mostly all agricultural products, with the exception of tank cars for Oneida Asphalt.

With the start of the growing seasons, the NYS&W has been hauling 14-16 cars up the Hill. The extra tonnage requires an extra locomotive, I suppose.

I've not seen CSX 2732 in the past week or so; NYS&W 3040 is back to handling matters by itself it would seem.

Here's a recent YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJZn4l457Ow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Two Days, Two Views: NYS&W Washington Mills Express"
  by Cactus Jack

Back in the old days all the guys said that two 1200's (EL GP-7's) were rated at 1700 tons up Paris Hill southbound.

Someplace I have DL&W locomotive tonnage ratings in print for both steam and diesel, but not handy at the moment.

The two 1200's and 1700 tons however was the standard rule of thumb used in EL days for trains dispatched south out of Utica.
  by Alek9997

CSX picked up the 2732 Monday afternoon while making a pickup from NYS&W.

Alek S
  by NYS&W142Fan

Nice Videos, thank you for sharing!
  by ricky

I LIKE these videos that someone posting. any more please post it. any work being done on this line this year or not?
  by ricky

does anybody know whats the hold up with this fixing line i thought they were fixing this spring?
  by NYS&W142Fan

Was this on the NYS&W??? It happened on Tuesday the 21st.

Utica (WSYR-TV/WUTR-TV) - A rolling train slammed into a locomotive display at Union Station in Utica on Tuesday.

According to WUTR-TV in Utica, the rail car was a covered hopper that rolled an estimated 1.5 miles before the collision.

The incident sparked a minor two-car crash at the intersection of Schuyler Street and Oriskany Boulevard.

The display and a covered bridge linking Union Station with a platform north of the tracks sustained significant damage.
  by charlie6017

NYS&W142Fan wrote:Was this on the NYS&W??? It happened on Tuesday the 21st.

Utica (WSYR-TV/WUTR-TV) - A rolling train slammed into a locomotive display at Union Station in Utica on Tuesday.

According to WUTR-TV in Utica, the rail car was a covered hopper that rolled an estimated 1.5 miles before the collision.

The incident sparked a minor two-car crash at the intersection of Schuyler Street and Oriskany Boulevard.

The display and a covered bridge linking Union Station with a platform north of the tracks sustained significant damage.

Yes it was.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 8&t=160089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ricky

i heard on the news that 13 year old who cause this mess is not going to be charge. give me a break in my book this 13 year old should charge.and the the parents of this 13 year old should pay for damages not railroad company or insurance company.