Railroad Forums 

• Port Chester & Danbury

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1324351  by Ridgefielder

I came across an antique map of Ridgefield today-- from something called "Belcher Hyde's Atlas of Fairfield and Westchester County," dated 1908. It's incredibly detailed, showing individual structures and property owners. Only part of the town is shown, in the lower right corner of the sheet. And one part of that detail is the route of the "Proposed Port Chester & Danbury Railroad." The line comes into town through the valley between High Ridge and West Mountain, crosses North Salem Rd. just north of the end of Main St., then runs parallel with Danbury Road toward Sugar Hollow. The NYNH&H Ridgefield Branch goes into a wye where it crosses Grove St., with one leg going to the existing station on Prospect St. and the other heading north, crossing Danbury Road and joining the new line roughly in the vicinity of today's Copps Hill Plaza shopping center.

Anyone know anything about this? The route looks similar to some maps I've seen of the phantom "Westchester Northern," but I thought that route was meant as a continuation of the NYW&B north of White Plains.