Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by CentralValleyRail

SecaucusJunction wrote:MTA announced a new PJ train being added to the schedule in 2015. Train will be westbound in the afternoon. That either means they'll also add an eastbound or there will be some sort of daily deadhead move. Would be great to see an early evening eastbound but he would have to meet rush hour trains on every siding.
http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/parkingcut.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"In addition, beginning in late 2015, Metro-North plans to initiate a new outbound, midday Port Jervis Line train to close a nearly three-hour service gap."

Unless it only goes as far as Middletown and turns around.

According to a recent study less than 10% of PJ riders get on/off in Otisville and Port Jervis.
  by DanD3815

Wow that's awesome, great job to Metro-North for this new initiative. A new midday train between the 1:20 and 4:18 departures from Secaucus will be huge as well, that was always an inconvenient gap in the schedule. The parking price decreases are incredible though, very cool.
  by CentralValleyRail

DanD3815 wrote:Wow that's awesome, great job to Metro-North for this new initiative. A new midday train between the 1:20 and 4:18 departures from Secaucus will be huge as well, that was always an inconvenient gap in the schedule. The parking price decreases are incredible though, very cool.
Yes it is,It's great to see one railroad in the Tri-State-Area working hard. Unlike its friend NJT to the south. I'm surprised NJT is going to let them run an extra set.

Upon further review, the train is only going to go as far as Middletown just like the 1:20 departure.

Proposed Investment
"Add new West of Hudson weekday mid‐day train from Hoboken, NJ to Middletown, NY"

Rationale
"Addresses a 3‐hour gap in Port Jervis Line mid‐day weekday service, making overall service options very unattractive/inconvenient for daily commuters."

Implementation

"April 2016"

Here is the link.

http://web.mta.info/mta/budget/july2014 ... 8_Vol1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 29.
  by SecaucusJunction

I'd assume it would take roughly the same schedule as holiday train 99 but terminate in Middletown. On the way back, it could dodge train 51 on the siding at Central Valley and still get back to Sterling before 53...

http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/main ... 030214.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by northjerseybuff

when the 2nd track is put back in place west of Sterling, it will help with off peak train moves
  by CentralValleyRail

SecaucusJunction wrote:I'd assume it would take roughly the same schedule as holiday train 99 but terminate in Middletown. On the way back, it could dodge train 51 on the siding at Central Valley and still get back to Sterling before 53...

http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/main ... 030214.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How long are you allowing for a turnaround at Middletown? I don't think 16 minutes will happen. I think the minimum has to be at least 25-30 minutes. Especially being that long of a trip with possible delays.
Which get screwy all around because 99 already has a siding run with 66 at Central Valley.

After looking at myself leaving Middletown any later than 4:40 and it's impossible. No siding at Tuxedo :) for 55 lol.

I think the train has to run 15 minutes earlier than 99 currently does but then you have a problem with 66 unless they adjust that time which isn't an easy fix because I believe 66 turns pretty quick at HOB.
  by northjerseybuff

3 weekends of work are underway. MTA notice said it has something to do with rocks...I thought signals were going to be cut in. I guess not yet.
  by MTASUPT

Rock Slope was completed during the first weekend outage. The following weekend outages are for track department installing new Insulated Joints for the new signal system and welding the joints. Should be completed this weekend.
  by DutchRailnut

They are prefabbed joints, epoxied etc, they come in 25 foot length and need to be welded into existing track.
If the joint is not used as such. at that moment a bond wire is placed across.
  by northjerseybuff

When will the signals be cut in? spring?
  by Fishrrman

Dutch wrote:
[[ a spring switch in interlocking ?? doubt it. ]]

As was mentioned above, the Erie used spring switches at one end of controlled sidings on the Delaware Division between Port Jervis and Binghamton. I've been through them.

Also, the New Haven Railroad used spring switches (again on one end only) on the controlled sidings on the Maybrook Line. When you got to the double track in the Danbury area (which was Rule 251 territory), there were also spring switches at CP Fairgrounds and CP Berkshire Jct. -- you "went to the right" at either location.

(with a wave to MTASUPT -- you've got one of the best jobs on the RR, Fred!)
  by MTASUPT

Central Valley/Secaucus Jct,

When the Cab Signal system gets cut in the trains will need to turn at Howells, otherwise they will be running on a restricting back to Hall from Middletown.
  by MTASUPT

Yes it is the best job on the RR because of the people and Railroads I get to deal with. :-D
  by DutchRailnut

On upper Harlem trains can change ends and turn anywhere, no need to go to interlocking, only requirement is no other train between interlockings and permission,
the traffic will flip after one block, believe Danbury is same.