• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by daylight4449

papabarn wrote:STEAM?!?!?!

The Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's Facebook page reports that
Boothbay personnel have looked at the Baldwin steam engine on static display at Edaville USA for possible use (someday) on the G & U.
Interesting... I had to check this three times just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or something.. Then I checked behind the door to make sure a reincarnated Allen Funt wasn't there with a "Candid Camera"..

Could this (WKS 250) be what they're talking about?

Image [Click photo for larger image]
That's the engine they're talking about.... Unless the stories about the Wolfeboro running with low water are just that, she'll need some firebox work, running gear, 1472 inspection, rebuild on the air system and generator, yada yada. Not a bad sized piece of equipment. Large enough where she can handle decent sized consists on the G&U, while small enough to not kill the wallet on operating costs...
  by Cosmo

Boothbay personnel have looked at the Baldwin steam engine on static display at Edaville USA for possible use (someday) on the G & U.
Interesting... I had to check this three times just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or something.. Then I checked behind the door to make sure a reincarnated Allen Funt wasn't there with a "Candid Camera"..

That's definitely the Wolfboro Baldwin #250, and Priscoli DEFINITELY owns it.
I have said n the past that the locomotive would need tons of $$ worth of work (this in reference to it's being a "great starter engine" for some small operation, which I dispute, but I digress) and Mr Priscoli apparently HAS the kind of money and/or resources and or savvy to make that work happen.
It's just a question of how MUCH $$ and is he willing to shell out for it.
We'll see. :wink:
  by daylight4449

Trainman101 wrote:He should restore the big boy
And where would her run that? Try running that thing up the hill at Snow Road and you'd end up causing the tracks to give out and end up in the living room of the guy three houses down!
  by B&M 1227

I want $20 on that being a joke. pm me for info on sending money.
  by boatsmate

Does Booth bay have the facilities to rework something that size?? or would they look to someone like Dave Conrad at the Valley do the work in their shop where they have the experience rebuilding steam engines... (See the 3025)
  by Cosmo

boatsmate wrote:Does Booth bay have the facilities to rework something that size?? or would they look to someone like Dave Conrad at the Valley do the work in their shop where they have the experience rebuilding steam engines... (See the 3025)
Boothbay has the equipment, the knowledge base and the expertise to do the job, as well as the experience. They can definitely accomplish the task, it's more a question of "where."
[DISCLAIMER! What follows is SPECULATION AND GUESSWORK on the part of this poster! DO NOT TAKE FOR NOSTRADAMUS!]
Regarding the size of the engine as well as it's location, I would not foresee the thing being trucked all the way to Damariscota, although it's certainly not impossible. I wold think it more likely the locomotive would be housed somewhere closer to the G&U (do they have warehouse-sized space on-line? ) My guess is they would set up a temporary facility at such a place and do the tear-down work there, possibly, but not necessarily transporting the boiler itself and any smaller components to Damariscota as necessary.
While The Valley, Dave, et all have the experience, knowledge etc, as well as a spacious facility to do the work in, their shop, (as spacious as it is,) is just barely big enough for the Valley do do everything it wants to do in it for the foreseeable future. Their own projects have, or will have the floor space "booked" well into the future. Again, not "impossible," but far less likely.
That does not, however, mean that some Valley guys wouldn't be called in to help on the project, or that some parts wouldn't go there for refurb, but keep in mind that The Valley sends things like drive wheels and other parts out to either Scranton or Strasburg or other places often enough. Wouldn't make much sense to send something to the Valley that they would normally send out themselves. Again, this is all speculation. We'll just have to wait and see what actually transpires, if anything.
  by MaineCoonCat

Another "Found out about this from the Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's Facebook Page".

Photos of the 2013 "Holiday Lights Train" by DMWenc photography.

Image Click the image or click ► http://www.dmwencphotography.com/p728096629 ◄.
  by frrc

Cosmo wrote:

That's definitely the Wolfboro Baldwin #250, and Priscoli DEFINITELY owns it.
I have said n the past that the locomotive would need tons of $$ worth of work (this in reference to it's being a "great starter engine" for some small operation, which I dispute, but I digress) and Mr Priscoli apparently HAS the kind of money and/or resources and or savvy to make that work happen.
It's just a question of how MUCH $$ and is he willing to shell out for it.
We'll see. :wink:

Maybe Mr Priscoli will ask for public funding on this project, as in the case of his private residence in Southboro, where he's asking for pubic funds to restore his house or it will be torn down...

:(
  by Pat Fahey

Hi
The # 250 would make and excellent engine to be running on the G&U, she is just big enough to haul 5 or 6 coaches , but yet small enough to handle the light rail on the G&U. The last time I rode the cab of this engine was when she was at the Wolfboro RR with my friend Bob Dustin who was a fireman for the railroad during the summer . Steam on the G&U YES that would be Excellent ,,, But time will tell . Pat Fahey
  by MaineCoonCat

VICTORY!!!!! It's OVER!!!

STB rules in favour of the G&U.

"SURFACE TRANSPORTATION BOARD

DECISION

Docket No. FD 35652”

To view the entire document, click the above image OR click this link: http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/readin ... enDocument OR download a copy attached below..

I learned of this from the Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's Facebook page.
42582.pdf
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

It's never ever. The amount of "NUH-UH! NO FAIR!" nuisance filings a town can waste money filing is nearly infinite. Though at this point they'll be seeking injunctions to stop active construction instead of trying to delay construction.
  by MaineCoonCat

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:It's never ever. The amount of "NUH-UH! NO FAIR!" nuisance filings a town can waste money filing is nearly infinite. Though at this point they'll be seeking injunctions to stop active construction instead of trying to delay construction.
In this case however, it isn't the town but seven ("The Gang of Seven") private citizens. I'd be truly surprised to see them spend more of their own money after this..
  by Cosmo

Gotta say it, man:
"Your revolution is OVER Mr Lebowski, the bums LOST! Ever thus to the deadbeats!" - The Big Lebowski ;)
  by Reader#108

Maybe he can have the lunatic from Holbrook come down and "hach" away at it?

Anyhow..............
I would guess that something like this would run around 300K. That's a significant undertaking.
Especially since he just finished the 3rd steamer for Edaville.
But.......that being said........he just finished a 3rd steamer so he is obviously looking at steam
as the revenue generator. Run the 250 on the line as a tourist/weekend attraction?

BRILLIANT IDEA

Polar with steam on one end and the F7 on the other?
Perfect.......

Boothbay is known for making pit stops at the other railroads to help cure ills......
There is a significant relationship there as Boothbay has now rekindled steam at Edaville.
Redo her, steam her, then truck her.......what an attraction that restoration would be.