• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MaineCoonCat

The Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's Facebook Page reports that there will be a discussion of the Town of Grafton's legal appeal at the selectmen's meeting on 16 December 2014. Meeting starts at 1900 EST (7:00 pm. EST). Click either of the pages below to go to the Town of Grafton's web site. To go to the actual meeting though, you're probably going to have to drive. :P I did check to see if you could "live stream" the meeting from Grafton Community Television's web site but it doesn't appear on the schedule.. Je suis désolé.

by MaineCoonCat

UPDATE -The Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's Facebook Page reports that the Town of Grafton's meeting on 16 December 2014 WILL be "live streamed". Meeting starts at 1900 EST (7:00 pm. EST). See Grafton Community Television's web site.
  by Cosmo

papabarn wrote:UPDATE -The Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's Facebook Page reports that the Town of Grafton's meeting on 16 December 2014 WILL be "live streamed". Meeting starts at 1900 EST (7:00 pm. EST). See Grafton Community Television's web site.
DARN! It's probably half over by now. Can you tell us how it went?
ALSO: Does anyone know if the G&U was ever featured in MR or RMC as "...A Railroad You Can Model"?
  by MaineCoonCat

[DISCLAIMER: I'm typing this as I listen/watch so there probably are errors and is by no means complete.] Here are my "notes": If they were to win in court, it would then be remanded to the STB. The "mandatory mediation" meeting was "not fruitful". The town has asked the court for a "stay" to stop further work on the project. There has been no ruling on this so until that time, the G&U is free to continue construction. At least one resident asked about a "plan B" to assist residents in the area in possible relocation etc. The selectmen freely state that they have an "uphill battle". One resident brought up the subject of liability insurance coverage by the G&U for the facility. One resident claimed that there was a "rumor" that the facility will or already has been sold to an outside entity. The selectmen believe that this would nullify preemption if it were true. There is a proposal for another informational meeting for the citizens in the future (early January?) at a larger venue. One citizen wants the parents of children in the North Grafton Elementary School to be notified of the "potential danger" or an "evacuation plan". One selectman advises that residents hire "counsel" to draft a brief about property valuation impacts. There was further discussion about forming an evacuation plan. One resident asked if the property could be taken by "eminent domain" The selectmen indicated that that was not viable. One resident asked if the property could be purchased by the town. Q&A ended ~2135 EST. ¹IMHO, the gist of this seems to be that it's not looking good for their case. Gawd, I wish I'd learned how to touch-type.

¹ Statement of opinion.
  by Cosmo

Cool, thanks! :D
  by MaineCoonCat

View the selectmen's meeting here. The railroad discussion starts at about the 106 minute mark.
  by Friend of G & U RR

Papabarn - you did an excellent job on summarizing the Grafton selectmen's meeting. One of the worst nights I've ever spent at a
selectmen's meeting in my town. Sets a new low for showing how anti-business the town of Grafton really is.

This town doesn't deserve a steam engine, even if we could find the grant money to restore #250.
  by Cosmo

Ok, I just watched about as much of this as I could stomach. while it's not as gruesome as "The Walking Dead" or anything, it's still a groan-a-minute.
  by MaineCoonCat

Friend of G & U RR wrote:Papabarn - you did an excellent job on summarizing the Grafton selectmen's meeting. One of the worst nights I've ever spent at a
selectmen's meeting in my town. Sets a new low for showing how anti-business the town of Grafton really is.

This town doesn't deserve a steam engine, even if we could find the grant money to restore #250.
Thanks! I must admit to having been disappointed with the goings on.. Was there anyone from local commercial media (newspapers etc.) there? I'm a bit surprised not to see anything yet. Usually at least Mike Gleason from the Gatehouse publications ("Wicked Local", Milford Daily News etc.) is right on top of this stuff, then the others seem to follow.
  by Friend of G & U RR

Grafton Villager has had at least two stories since Tuesday's BOS meeting. Grafton News didn't have anything this week, but will publish a pre-holiday edition on Tuesday next.
  by MaineCoonCat

Friend of G & U RR wrote:Grafton Villager has had at least two stories since Tuesday's BOS meeting. Grafton News didn't have anything this week, but will publish a pre-holiday edition on Tuesday next.
Thanks!

Strange how Google doesn't seem to pick up on those two searching by "Grafton Upton Rail" but by going to the villager's site, they're right there.

In The Grafton Villager on December 16, 2014, Richard Price wrote: Selectmen meet tonight on Grafton & Upton Railroad; legal documents filed in appeals court

The first sign of movement in the Town of Grafton’s latest effort to appeal their case against the Grafton & Upton Railroad came out Monday when a representative from the Surface and Transportation Board filed a notice of appearance with the First Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston.

The Town of Grafton filed a petitioner’s briefing notice with the Surface Transportation Board on Dec. 5 as part of their appeal according to court documents obtained by The Grafton Villager.

“Attorneys for both appellant and appellee must file a notice of appearance within 14 days of case opening,” the documents said. “New or additional counsel may enter an appearance outside the 14 day period; however, a notice of appearance may not be filed after the appellee/respondent brief has been filed without leave of court.”

A status update from the town and a question and answer forum is scheduled at the Tuesday night, Dec. 16 Board of Selectmen meeting beginning at 7 p.m.
Full story is HERE

And...
In The Grafton Villager on December 16, 2014, Richard Price wrote: Worried residents ask what their options are if Grafton & Upton Railroad builds
Resident Matt Flynn, far right, speaking to the Board of Selectmen.

The first sign of movement in the Town of Grafton’s latest effort to appeal their case against the Grafton & Upton Railroad came out Monday when a representative from the Surface and Transportation Board filed a notice of appearance with the First Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston.

Town Administrator Tim McInerney said he anticipates a court date to be set in about two weeks so they can argue — yet again — against the 320,000 gallon propane terminal.

Meanwhile, worried neighbors from the Westborough Road area filled the room at the Tuesday night Board of Selectmen meeting wondering what their options are since the town lost their case in front of the STB which ruled the railroad is pre-empted from local oversight.

“My main concern is my family,” said resident Matt Flynn alluding to the potential damage if the tanks should catch fire. “I can rebuild a house but not my family.” He said if the STB ruling holds then an evacuation plan needs to be created to protect children and staff at nearby North Grafton Elementary. Flynn is also the son of Selectman Dennis Flynn who recused himself from the discussion.
Full story is HERE
  by rd5260

There was a crew installing a new gravel base from the rt 140 crossing back towards Hopedale .
  by MaineCoonCat

papabarn wrote: Strange how Google doesn't seem to pick up on those two searching by "Grafton Upton Rail" but by going to the villager's site, they're right there.
Hmmmmmm.. For what it's worth, Google still isn't picking up on these BUT bing found 'em right away.. Guess I add it to what I use to monitor G&U news
  by MaineCoonCat

The Town of Grafton will be holding an informational meeting on January 14, 2015 at 7:00 pm in the High School Cafeteria to answer questions regarding the proposed Liquid Propane Gas Facility located at the Grafton Upton Railroad site in North Grafton. The town is soliciting residents' questions in advance via the town's website. I'll check withFriends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's facebook page for confirmation that it will be livestreamed.
  by Atwater

Folks,
The Town of Grafton is permitting people to electronically submit questions in advance of the meeting. The Grafton Villager has the story at http://www.thegraftonvillager.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . In preparation, an online survey has been set up to field questions. To take the survey, click on this link: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1943386/G ... -Questions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It is time to step and be heard! :-D