• NYAR Train Sighting Thread

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by tj48

Just watched a west bound freight on the down hill between Deer Park and Wyandanch. The train was moving quickly with a MP15/GP38-2 combo leading and apx 30 cars. Midway through the train there was what looked like a empty Trailer Train TOFC flat. Now I know loaded TOFC cars cannot operate on LI and the train was moving quickly so I couldn't get a real good look at the car, but it looked like there was two short, upright fixtures on the car like I've seen in pictures TOFC flat cars.
  by AlKaLI

I have to thank DogBert with his posts on this thread and on the CSX Oak Point-Fremont thread. Decided to check out Coastal last night to see about any influx of needed empties. So: Farmingdale 8-25-14 9:10 - 10:10 PM NYA MP15AC (missed the number) switched out 11 loads from Coastal leaving 3 only empties. On the siding was CEFX 402 and the rest of the train. In between LIRR MU trains, the MP tacked on the cars and reassembled its train. MP15/GP38-2 402, 11 loads of C&D, 3 CSXT box and 1 SP box w/ EOT. went west at about 9:55 PM. Eastbound headlight was already visible and presumed stopped on main waiting for them to clear. At 10:06 PM Eastbound NYA 151/261 had 22 empty C&D gons and pushed them into Coastal. Pretty neat! One train empties the sidings to have another one already waiting to spot empties.
  by murfunit

At about 11:30 Am I happened to see a small freight, one box car and three or four center beam lumber cars sandwiched between two GP38s, run through Hicksville Station.
  by Teutobergerwald

Was that boxcar an SP one? If so, that consist was from Kleet Lumber in Huntington. I passed Kleet yesterday afternoon and saw those empties there.
  by freightguy

The NS boxcar had a sharp flange and every time it went around the curves at Bush terminal it would derail on the float bridge lead. I guess they were able to finally send it out via 65 St.
  by vin5581

RE:

"Just watched a west bound freight on the down hill between Deer Park and Wyandanch. The train was moving quickly with a MP15/GP38-2 combo leading and apx 30 cars. Midway through the train there was what looked like a empty Trailer Train TOFC flat. Now I know loaded TOFC cars cannot operate on LI and the train was moving quickly so I couldn't get a real good look at the car, but it looked like there was two short, upright fixtures on the car like I've seen in pictures TOFC flat cars."

That flat car was one of 3 that I saw pass through Richmond hill Heading east one day that week. All three flats had large steel loads on them. the loads looked like Steel trusses or maybe some other type of structural steel.
  by AlKaLI

Farmingdale NY 9-11-14 8:30 PM - 10:15 PM Looks like a new pattern is developing. I think I have the train numbers right as I don't have a scanner. Anyway NYA RS-51 (Pine Aire - Fresh Pond) had already switched out Coastal's loads of C & D and Posillico's sidings were empty as well. When I arrived, I thought I had just missed a train. Around 9:00 PM in between LIRR MU trains, NYA 155/CEFX402/NYA 261 went west and ran around their train in the siding. Then they waited for their turn to head west after a LIRR MU. They left around 9:45 PM for Fresh Pond. So it was 155/402/261 with 31 cars - 15 C&D loads from Coastal and 16 empties (mainly GACX 3-bay hoppers with a few TLTX cars) from Posillico.

Not long after RS-51 left, did at 9:59 PM RS-80 NYA 156/151 come east into the siding. Their train was 34 cars - 3 CSXT box first out, followed by 15 empty C&D gons for Coastal and 16 loads of gravel (again GACX and TLTX cars) for Posillico. They had New HIghway blocked for a while when then shoved the loaded gravel cars back into Posillico. BTW Posillico's asphalt plant was active last night. Lots of asphalt trucks running back and forth and a great odor in the air :-)

So the pattern is for RS-51 to empty the sidings in Farmingdale and then new cars are brought in by the RS-80 right behind it. The funny thing was that the two trains had almost the same make-up of cars. C&D gons and 3-bay hoppers. If you wouldn't know it, looked like a model railroad with the same cars moving back and forth. :-)
  by truck1536

vin5581 wrote:RE:

"Just watched a west bound freight on the down hill between Deer Park and Wyandanch. The train was moving quickly with a MP15/GP38-2 combo leading and apx 30 cars. Midway through the train there was what looked like a empty Trailer Train TOFC flat. Now I know loaded TOFC cars cannot operate on LI and the train was moving quickly so I couldn't get a real good look at the car, but it looked like there was two short, upright fixtures on the car like I've seen in pictures TOFC flat cars."

That flat car was one of 3 that I saw pass through Richmond hill Heading east one day that week. All three flats had large steel loads on them. the loads looked like Steel trusses or maybe some other type of structural steel.
Just speculation but I passed by Brookhaven Rail Terminal earlier this week and there was a crane setup closest to Rt. 101 and was picking some large steel structures. Couldn't get a real good look, they built up the berm and the tree barrier is filling in.
  by freightguy

BRT has been unloading steel for new buildings on Long Island. Those are probably the longer TTZX flats you saw .
  by gregorygrice

LIRR 168 derailed/overturned at Fresh Pond Yard not too long ago. Around 40 gallons of fuel leaked. Hazmat and FD are on the scene. Depending on what track it was on, it'll probably affect operations for a couple of days.

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/top ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Crabman1130

Looks like it was an out of service track and the engine ran off the end. Doesn't look like it's blocking anything.

Photo credit to Northeast Railfans.
  by Backshophoss

Were they going upstairs to Fremont? That's an expensive OOPS! :wink:
  by freightguy

They're on lower Montauk formerly #2 main track a bit west of Fresh pond. That's the Bushwick branch tailing off. Mostly likely returning to Morris Park from LIC.