• Silverliner IVs getting old

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by 4400Washboard

I think they're showing some age, but it's not that bad. Compared to a silverliner V though...
  by SCB2525

I still prefer a IV over a V.
  by SubwayTim

The Silverliner IV's were built in the mid 1970's (40 years ago), so of course, they are getting old! I miss the Silverliner II's and III's.
  by scotty269

Maybe you can be a little more specific...? What do you mean "showing their age"?
  by 25Hz

Compared to the silverliner 5's these guys are aging exceptionally well.
  by dcipjr

I think the IVs have held up remarkably well. I find them much more pleasant to ride than the Vs, which are noisy, bumpy, and already are showing signs of wear. I doubt the Vs will last 40 years without a major overhaul.
  by 25Hz

dcipjr wrote:I think the IVs have held up remarkably well. I find them much more pleasant to ride than the Vs, which are noisy, bumpy, and already are showing signs of wear. I doubt the Vs will last 40 years without a major overhaul.
I'm betting 20 years total service life.
  by jackintosh11

A few days ago one of them (V) did have a failed air conditioning unit. However, i've seen IVs not able to accelerate as fast as they should be, and it causes delays.
  by scotty269

jackintosh11 wrote:A few days ago one of them (V) did have a failed air conditioning unit. However, i've seen IVs not able to accelerate as fast as they should be, and it causes delays.
I just want to be sure that you've noticed acceleration issues in more than 1 of the IV's, and it wasn't just because the engineer was slow on the handle, or a speed restriction was in effect, etc.
  by 4400Washboard

Compared to a Silverliner II and Silverliner III, the Silverliner IVs are doing quite well. However, based on my current projections on the life of a Silverliner V, these are doing VERY VERY WELL. But when you compare them to Silverliner Vs in their current state, the Silverliner IVs are better.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The first of the IVs (the RDG single units) turned 40 in late 2013 and early 2014.
  by Head-end View

The Silverliner IV's also look remarkably good for their age. They still look very shiny, much more so than Long Island Railroad's 10-year old M-7's which look very dull for such new cars.
  by 25Hz

Head-end View wrote:The Silverliner IV's also look remarkably good for their age. They still look very shiny, much more so than Long Island Railroad's 10-year old M-7's which look very dull for such new cars.
LIRR also operates near salt water environments, SEPTA does not.
  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:I'm betting 20 years total service life.
Based on...................??