• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Brent S. Bette

The New Haven FL-9s were delivered with a Hancock 4700 whistle (which included the "dish") on the front and a H4700 (without the "dish") on the rear. In fact, the railroad was the largest purchaser of the 4700 series whistles produced in the mid-late 1950s. While Hancock marketed the whistles as a way for railroads to return the by-gone era of steam, the New Haven was more interested in their softer tone tone ideal for high-urbanized areas. They also were applied to SW1500s, Budd RCDs, and 4400 MUs. While producing a rather sweet sound, they were not suitable to high-speeds. However, they lasted on the FL-9s till the late 1980s when Metro-North and Connecticut DOT began replacing them with three and five-chime horns. However, they did retain their rear whistle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Otto Vondrak

Brent S. Bette wrote:A spectacular picture of 2019's sister, the 2002, which, as was discussed previously, resides at the RMNE. There are currently no plans to restore this locomotive to service.
Just curious, what happened to the 2002? I remember helping with cleaning the brake cylinders and some volunteers doing other engine work a few years ago to it when it was still considered "active." Just a matter of dedicating motive power resources to other projects?

-otto-
  by H.F.Malone

One operating FL9 is enough. 2002 needs batteries and a full 3-year air brake servicing, plus some other items. It's kept in good, stored shape. 2059 is given maintenance attention for now, mainly keeping the body tight and making sure all the spare parts collected (to replace stuff MNCR took off it) are with it.

2019 was long overdue for cosmetics, and will be a really nice-looking unit when it's done.
  by Brent S. Bette

With most volunteers were at the Amherst Railway Society show held in West Springfield, MA this past weekend, here are picture from work completed the previous week. We encountered our first issue, which was a welded sand hatch. Our master metal worker Sam Walker, after removing the necessary screws, found the hatch was still immovable. Upon further inspection, it was found the previous "running repair" was to weld it into place. To reverse this work, it was necessary to remove the cab wall and floor on the firemen's side. Work also continued on removing pieces of the nose which are in need of replacement.

On a related note, we are in need of further funding to complete the project. We estimate $10,000 we see it through to full completion. Doing some quick math, it is approximately 700 miles by car from Thomaston, CT to Spencer, NC. Therefore, if 700 people donate $15, we can get the 2019 to Spencer. I'll keep everyone updated of "where we are on the map" relative to the donations. Donations can be made here:

http://www.crowdrise.com/nh2019/fundrai ... seumofnewe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again for your continued support!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Brent S. Bette

Another great shot from Dick Hovey, this time of our very own 2019 shortly after being repainted by Chrome Crankshaft. Glass has yet to be installed and the carbody in need of a good wash however, it can be safely said the unit has not looked this good since rolling of of EMD twenty-five years earlier. Hopefully, the same can be said when she rolls of out the Volunteer Shop.
  by fl9m2004

I remember seeing it look that shiny and clean after coming back from rebuilding
Being how I used to try and ride right behind most of these fl9ms
Almost everytime one was around on the Danbury and Waterbury shuttles I would go for a ride on the shuttle
I'm looking for one in n scale if u know of any hobby shops that have them any information would be helpful
  by CVRA7

Sue and I just made the first donation to the NH 2019 fund - let's have some follow up!
  by Brent S. Bette

Thanks, Bill! We are now 1% there. Please, again, consider donating to this worthy cause. The New Haven 2019 will be the only northeastern locomotive represented at the celebration. It is by far one of the most unique units ever built by EMD and deserves a place next to other notable F & E units. We want to show the nation how proud New England is of our railroad heritage. Please consider donating today!

http://www.crowdrise.com/nh2019/fundrai ... seumofnewe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Brent S. Bette

Excellent news! We had two more donors last night and brining our current total to $175 or 2% of the necessary funds needed. Please, consider even a $15 donation. This project will bring a great deal of pride to the region and help keep the legacy of the New Haven Railroad alive.
  by Otto Vondrak

Brent S. Bette wrote:Excellent news! We had two more donors last night and brining our current total to $175 or 2% of the necessary funds needed. Please, consider even a $15 donation. This project will bring a great deal of pride to the region and help keep the legacy of the New Haven Railroad alive.
I bet adding some information to the fundraiser page might help encourage donations... There's no text, no photos?

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Brent S. Bette wrote:Excellent news! We had two more donors last night and brining our current total to $175 or 2% of the necessary funds needed. Please, consider even a $15 donation. This project will bring a great deal of pride to the region and help keep the legacy of the New Haven Railroad alive.
I bet adding some information to the fundraiser page might help encourage donations... There's no text, no photos?

-otto-
Guys, seriously. It's been a month. There's no photos, no text and no explanation of your project on your fundraising site. I also can't find any mention of fundraising for this project on your web site http://www.rmne.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Your facebook has nice project update photos, but no links to the fundraising site. How do you expect people to make donations, besides the RMNE volunteers who have donated to date?

-otto-
  by Ridgefielder

Brent S. Bette wrote:The New Haven FL-9s were delivered with a Hancock 4700 whistle (which included the "dish") on the front and a H4700 (without the "dish") on the rear. In fact, the railroad was the largest purchaser of the 4700 series whistles produced in the mid-late 1950s. While Hancock marketed the whistles as a way for railroads to return the by-gone era of steam, the New Haven was more interested in their softer tone tone ideal for high-urbanized areas. They also were applied to SW1500s, Budd RCDs, and 4400 MUs. While producing a rather sweet sound, they were not suitable to high-speeds. However, they lasted on the FL-9s till the late 1980s when Metro-North and Connecticut DOT began replacing them with three and five-chime horns. However, they did retain their rear whistle.
I have vivid childhood memories of lying in bed in our old house in Redding Center and hearing the "whooo-whooo-who-whooo" of those Hancock whistles echoing up the valley from West Redding. They really did sound like steam. :-)
  by fl9m2004

I"ll second the fact that it sounded like a steam engine
I used to be able to hear one of the fl9's or f10's horns from Commerece Street to Cannondale
Now a days the genesis horns sounds okay but nothing beats the horn of a fl9 or f10
And I could also hear the engine revving up while in motion
  by CannaScrews

Some more images of the prepping of NH 2019 for its trip to Spencer this spring.
  by H.F.Malone

Repairs of rusted-out areas are just about complete: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jt3D1CRJIU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prep of carbody for painting is almost finished and painting process should start soon. A lot of effort and talent has gone into this locomotive in the last three months.