• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:A newspaper said it, so it must be true:
A longtime resident of Vermont has begun the journey to its new home at the Railroad Museum of New England. The Rutland 260, one of two surviving train cars from the heyday of the Rutland Railroad, which ceased operation in 1963, was donated to the museum by the Vermont Railway. The 60-foot long railcar had been relatively unused from 1963 to 2009 for historical rail tours, and hadn't been in use at all since then.
http://www.benningtonbanner.com/localne ... cut-museum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last time Rutland 260 was on former Rutland rails: http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=212710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
Well, I think that RMNE may have gotten one of the moves of the decade... An authentic Rutland combine, fully restored and serviceable, and in good enough shape where it was handled by a freight train? Counting the fact that it is a wooden car (truss-rods at that), and we're around Christmas of 2013... Beats any presents I could give! On another note, there was a second car mentioned... What's the plan for the other? Is RMNE getting that one as well, or is it staying put?
  by Otto Vondrak

fl9m2004 wrote:Has 2002 had any updates to it I'm superised why Nagatuck doesn't get a more recent fl9 like 2027 or one of those in New Haven
So that way it would be able to pull or push the regular scenic trains
I bet a lot of things "superise" you.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:On another note, there was a second car mentioned... What's the plan for the other?
On display in Rutland.

-otto-
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

fl9m2004 wrote:Has 2002 had any updates to it I'm superised why Nagatuck doesn't get a more recent fl9 like 2027 or one of those in New Haven
So that way it would be able to pull or push the regular scenic trains
2002 has served in that capacity on the NAUG in the past. I'm not sure why RMNE would need a "more recent" FL9 to accomplish that task. There is no need for a push-pull arrangement in regular passenger service. The only time you really see it is when the Santa Express and Northern Lights Limited services are running. Plus there's always the notion that it is more expensive to run two locomotives than one.
  by DutchRailnut

Its not like CDOT is giving away FL-9's worth $60 000 over and over and over again.
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

I think RMNE was fortunate to get the three FL9s they have. 2002 is the oldest survivor and 2033 was not only the last FL9 built, but the last F unit EMD produced. The FL9 is well represented on the NAUG!
  by shadyjay

Drove by the Saybrook yard yesterday. Counted roughly 6 pieces of equipment left, including RS-3 #140 and the #4601. Interesting, I noticed reporting marks stenciled on the 4601, though I can't remember them. They definitely didn't look like NAUG or any railroad I'm familiar with. Anyone "in the know" care to share? Is she still destined for IRM?
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

shadyjay wrote:Drove by the Saybrook yard yesterday. Counted roughly 6 pieces of equipment left, including RS-3 #140 and the #4601. Interesting, I noticed reporting marks stenciled on the 4601, though I can't remember them. They definitely didn't look like NAUG or any railroad I'm familiar with. Anyone "in the know" care to share? Is she still destined for IRM?
There's not a whole lot to share at this time. However, it is safe to say that the #4601 is moving to a location other than RMNE's Naugatuck RR. I'm sure more information will be released at the appropriate times. Stand by.
  by shadyjay

Not a problem. We can wait.

It is so weird driving by the yard and seeing it so empty.
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

shadyjay wrote:It is so weird driving by the yard and seeing it so empty.
RMNE will finally have the whole collection together again on one line. Oh, the possibilities!! Keep your eyes peeled and a figurative ear to the railhead.
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

RMNE/NAUG will be present at the Amherst Railway Society's 2014 Railroad Hobby Show at the Big E in Springfield, MA. I encourage you all to stop by and visit with the fine folks from RMNE in the Better Living Center on row 23. See you there!
  by Otto Vondrak

3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:I think RMNE was fortunate to get the three FL9s they have. 2002 is the oldest survivor and 2033 was not only the last FL9 built, but the last F unit EMD produced. The FL9 is well represented on the NAUG!
CAN'T HEAR YOU - MOAR FL9 PLZ
  by Cosmo

Otto Vondrak wrote:
3rd Gen. Brakeman wrote:I think RMNE was fortunate to get the three FL9s they have. 2002 is the oldest survivor and 2033 was not only the last FL9 built, but the last F unit EMD produced. The FL9 is well represented on the NAUG!
CAN'T HEAR YOU - MOAR FL9 PLZ
I am singularly impressed that you guys have THREE FL9's. Willimantic has only one. I can't think of any other museums between here and Maine that have any at all.
  by Otto Vondrak

Cosmo wrote:I am singularly impressed that you guys have THREE FL9's. Willimantic has only one. I can't think of any other museums between here and Maine that have any at all.
Danbury also has two. Plenty of FL9's in the Nutmeg State.

-otto-
  by Cosmo

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Cosmo wrote:I am singularly impressed that you guys have THREE FL9's. Willimantic has only one. I can't think of any other museums between here and Maine that have any at all.
Danbury also has two. Plenty of FL9's in the Nutmeg State.

-otto-
Agreed! EMD fans are well provided for here. :wink: