• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nyswfan

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:I'll have to agree with the last post. 80 sucks! Plain English. I hated when I was a delivery driver and my route included 80. If you weren't past Rte 15 by 6 am forget it. You crawled from there to 287. I won't even get into 209 out of Marshalls Creek to I-80. Going west on a Friday night? Pack a dinner, it will be loooonnnngggg wait.How is a bus going to be faster than the train sitting in the same mess as everyone else?
I don't believe the train would be longer,even with stops.Truthfully, how many extra stops would there be? Scranton,Mt. Pocono, Stroudsburg OR Water Gap, Blairstown, Andover.For the amount of riders using Lake Hopatcong, I could see NJT eliminating that stop anyway. Seems like a ghost stop since Mt. Arlington opened. How long does train stop anyway ? Maybe under 2 minutes if they hold to the schedules. That is about 10 minutes of stopping. Lot more than that on 80 I guarantee.
The fastest AM express train from Dover into NYP has an advertised ride time of 79 minutes. Looking into old Lackawanna timetables from before the cutoff was single tracked, Scranton to Dover advertised ride time for the 95 mile trip was 132 min making 4 stops in between the two. 132+79=211=3.5 hours each way on the train. The Martz bus advertises 2:45 in the AM 2:20 in the PM.
  by Fan Railer

nyswfan wrote:
CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:I'll have to agree with the last post. 80 sucks! Plain English. I hated when I was a delivery driver and my route included 80. If you weren't past Rte 15 by 6 am forget it. You crawled from there to 287. I won't even get into 209 out of Marshalls Creek to I-80. Going west on a Friday night? Pack a dinner, it will be loooonnnngggg wait.How is a bus going to be faster than the train sitting in the same mess as everyone else?
I don't believe the train would be longer,even with stops.Truthfully, how many extra stops would there be? Scranton,Mt. Pocono, Stroudsburg OR Water Gap, Blairstown, Andover.For the amount of riders using Lake Hopatcong, I could see NJT eliminating that stop anyway. Seems like a ghost stop since Mt. Arlington opened. How long does train stop anyway ? Maybe under 2 minutes if they hold to the schedules. That is about 10 minutes of stopping. Lot more than that on 80 I guarantee.
The fastest AM express train from Dover into NYP has an advertised ride time of 79 minutes. Looking into old Lackawanna timetables from before the cutoff was single tracked, Scranton to Dover advertised ride time for the 95 mile trip was 132 min making 4 stops in between the two. 132+79=211=3.5 hours each way on the train. The Martz bus advertises 2:45 in the AM 2:20 in the PM.
Martz definitely does not factor in the heavy rush traffic into it's overly optimistic time table.
  by SecaucusJunction

Fan Railer wrote:
nyswfan wrote:
Martz definitely does not factor in the heavy rush traffic into it's overly optimistic time table.

So is 211 minutes from Scranton to NYC on NJT!
  by JoeG

Even if Martz often can't meet its schedules, the train times are also pretty dismal. In 1954 the Phoebe Snow did Dover to Hoboken in 57 minutes, and it had baggage to unload. It took 2 hours 45 min from Scranton. I figure most commuters wouldn't be from Scranton but from Pocono points. From Pocono Summit it was 2 hours 32 minutes. For comparison, most of the Port Jervis trains take around 2 hours 10 minutes, and that's a pretty daunting commute. Still, people do commute from the Poconos, and the trains would at least be more consistent than Martz and more comfortable.
So the question is, could NJT match the Phoebe Snow schedule? I doubt it given the congestion on the M&E east of Dover. If they could match the 1954 schedule I used, they would undoubtedly get some Pocono ridership. How much? I have no idea how many people actually do the long schlep these days.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

What about a train that would bypass stops like some of the Hackettstown trains that bypoass the Boontion line and run express to Hoboken via M&E ? Would Booton line be a faster route since it is less used ?
  by JoeG

the fastest Hackettstown to Hoboken time is 110 minutes. Fastest Hackettstown-Dover is 32 minutes. Fastest Dover-Hoboken is 77 minutes. One via M&E is listed, one via Boonton. So right now it looks like 77 minutes is the minimum time on either route. So the best NJT can do is 20 minutes slower than Phoebe.
  by morris&essex4ever

How often did trains run back then compared to now? Could it be that more congestion now as well as stopping at more stations slows down trip times?
  by SecaucusJunction

NJT trains now are slower than their predecessors. No two ways about it. Doesn't matter which line or congestion level. Even 3.5 hours from Scranton is not attainable without huge investments. It's a moot point anyway because they aren't getting to Scranton in any of our lifetimes.
  by nyswfan

Fan Railer wrote:
nyswfan wrote:
There is 45min of "traffic cushion" in the AM timetable, 20 min in the PM time table, given Google maps quote of a 122 mile 2.0 hour trip traffic free...
  by nyswfan

SecaucusJunction wrote:NJT trains now are slower than their predecessors. No two ways about it. Doesn't matter which line or congestion level. Even 3.5 hours from Scranton is not attainable without huge investments. It's a moot point anyway because they aren't getting to Scranton in any of our lifetimes.
Sad when you think that we went from 1st space launch to the moon in less time than this thread has been alive!
  by ACeInTheHole

MidnightRider wrote:
beanbag wrote:
25Hz wrote:All of it was a joke. I don't see any 44's being preserved from NJT and if they really wanted one SEPTA has one that may be retired via possible incoming ACS-64 piggyback order.

I think what we need to focus on is getting PA and NJ to talk about funding and other details to get this line to a PA terminus. I cannot see NJT doing all this work just to build a line to Columbia......

What of hackettstown to phillipsburg? And the same for high bridge to phillipsburg?

The line needs a clear green light all the way to scranton or else there is little point in NJT to continue putting down tracks past andover.
The steamtown/scranton part was funny, the rest of it was not. Anyways.

The problem with the Scranton bit that I see is the travel time. Its a two hour trip from Hackettstown as it sits now. To get to Scranton from here (im aware the train would split onto the Cut Off before Hackettstown at Port Morris, but just to put in perspective) a car would have basically a straight shot down 80-380, and having done a friday evening trip from here to past Scranton, once you clear the Denville Dover area with traffic, youll basically be flying (relative to the train) the rest of the way there. On a clear of traffic run, you can easily be in Scranton before the train would hit the Cut-Off, forget about Scranton. To The trip would only really be viable in rush periods where alot of 80 is choked up in NJ, and also NJTs west of Dover service already sucks, they need to improve there long before they even think of trying the Scranton cut off. A last problem I see is comfort, I have issues with the NJT seats after sitting for more than two hours. If im taking a trip the length of the proposed Scranton Cut Off trip, It would take alot for me to leave the car at home knowing ill be numb in the legs by the time i get off the train. Im sure my view reflects alot of the casual commuters too. For it to be a viable alternative you would have to run alot of express trains to cut the travel time down, for this to work it would be actually prudent for NJT to run trains that do not make a single stop before the Cut off, kind of like some of the Port Jervis trains, otherwise the commuters will find the car to be way faster. If it takes 3 hours or so by train and two by car not including waiting for the train and delays, youre going to need a schedule with good travel time so the service doesnt get creamed in the long run by people who find the extra time not worth it.
FYI, 1) there are a lot of people that commute from Wilkes-Barre\Scranton area to NYC everyday for work (why I don’t know but they do.), from the Pocono many many more. Martz has there garage about 4 blocks behind my house in Wilkes-Barre. They alone run around 99 buses into the city every work day. Even with internet on the buses, I’d take a train seat over a bus seat any day!! So sorry I disagree with you on comfort. With all the stops with the bus, the train is projected only 15 mins longer from Scranton. The other problem is that some of the bus lines (I believe Martz is one) don’t stop in NJ or even the Train station on Rt.80. When I called Martz about getting off on RT 3 I was told they can’t do it for insurance reasons.

Next, your comment on traffic. Traffic now backs up before Exit 25 on occasion. Not to mention that driving into NYC from Pa in the morning you driving into the sun. Then doing it again in the afternoon you hit the setting sun for part of the year. Let me tell you 80 is lined up perfect with sun as you crest a few of the hills! Next is the first 4 miles from the Water Gap in NJ till you get past Tannersville in Pa. This section can get halted for hours, at any point of the day or night, for accidents, road work, snow. You just sit there, there is no where to go. It’s 2 skinny lanes of traffic in each direction. Trucks are constantly getting into accidents shutting down the Highway. Rt 611(your only local road around Rt 80) if you get on it is normally a parking lot though out the day. Forget it when there is an accident.
Wow, seems its gotten worse since I last used 80 for a long trip. I drove the entire length of 80 from the 287 interchange to 380 for trips to Binghamton to see a friend from high school and a now ex girlfriend. I dont remember it being that bad. The first trip up I started onto 80 way late at about 4:30 or so, I do not remember what time I hit the gap, but the gap area was backed up pretty bad. the entire shebang all the way to Binghamton took 4 hours. The last time I did it was just under two years ago, I left at about 3:30 PM, got onto 280-80 at about 3:50, and hit some bad traffic around the Denville/Dover area, but after that it cleared up and I had a great run, I was in Binghamton just after 6:15. Admittedly this year, I have stopped using 280 in the mornings to get to school, because of that sun issue backing everything up (I can leave my house and be in my classroom at Rutgers Newark using 78 before I would even get through the jam on 280 its that hideous). I just didnt realize that the rest of 80 was such a complete and total disaster in much the similar way. Unfortunate really, it seems like it would be a nice relaxing drive when you do it on a day with no traffic. Admittedly Im a car guy and love to drive so my perspective on that last bit is tainted, do not read into that as influencing the rest of my statement, as I only like to drive if theres no traffic, bad traffic drives me insane. Seems the clock change drops the sun right smack into the worst possible spot it could be in for the morning rush, as it was fine before the time change.
  by NJTRailfan

As I mentioned a few months ago According the the collection of railroad scedules I have, the fastest the Phoebe Snow did from Hoboken to Scanton was 3 hours and 15 minutes with stops in Newark, Dover, Blairstown and a few others. A very long ride indeed. But then again not everyone will be traveling Hoboken to Scranton. Theres other stops as well. I would hope that there will be expresses and trains for this run will have individual Amtrak Seats that can recline rather then the current NJT Seats on the bilevels or even the bench type seating you see on the single level Comet Cars. Plus hopefully a Cafe Type Car like what Amtrak has will be available to make the journey more pleasant and attract ridership.

Welded rail, concrete ties and extra ballast can certainly increase the speeds and offer a comfier ride like Amtrak's NEC currently does.
  by 25Hz

I think what needs to be addressed is the stops in NJ, as those will add a lot more time to the end to end schedule than anything added or dropped in PA.
  by JoeG

NJTRailfan,

Your are right and I made mistakes in my earlier posted times of Phoebe. 3 hr 15 min from Scranton, and 1 hr 3 min from Dover to Hoboken--I understated. So the commute is worse even than I thought, even if they could match Phoebe.
Of course, NJT has no interest whatever in running fast trains. They keep slowing them up and having needlessly long dwell times.
A few years ago I discovered that Gladstone Branch trains were slower now than before electrification--and they had about the same number of stops.
I take the Port Jervis expresses from Suffern to Hoboken. This is one of the fastest NJT commutes but its times have crept up by about 4 minutes (10%) since I started riding this line 14 years ago.
If times increase by 1% a year, and Pocono service is 20 years away, what does that tell you?
Yes, congestion is part of the problem but I believe we need a change in NJT management. It has been stated on this forum that managers get bonuses for ontime performance so they slow the schedules to make sure of getting their bonuses. If this is true, it has to be changed to get any hope of faster schedules. There has to be some kind of recognition for speeding up service.
  by morris&essex4ever

Since politics controls who's in charge, NJT management will stay intact till at least 2017. I doubt management change will magically speed up trip times.