• Haverhill Line Upgrades (Western Route)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by roberttosh

So will they be tying in the new 2nd main at Andover St to the existing main anytime soon or is that a 2014 project? Will they use a switch at that location to keep a crossover in place or will they just cut the track and connect it to the new main and remove the existing switch on the current main track? I wonder if they'll now move to the Essex St crossing in Andover with this one out of the way?
  by jbvb

There are people watching who appear to know more, but I don't blame them for not posting the T's internal planning here.

AFAIK, the plan is to remove the switch (former crossover) east of AS where the two mains separate, and connect the easterly main to the new track across Andover St. However, this won't be done until the easterly main track & signals are complete to Frye or more likely Macaulay. Doing so right now would effectively make the single track segment longer, WJ to CP Frost instead of AS. Future AS will only have the new facing point crossover W of the street.

It's been said that I-495 will have two high-speed crossovers, but there's nothing on the site yet. Frye could be used as the end of double track, but I don't know if the T will bother to do the temporary signaling necessary to run passenger trains between AS and Frye. In the worst case, they connect the new track through Andover but still don't use it because they don't want to do temporary signaling at I-495. This could take till 2017 if they really milk it.
  by CPF363

Why is there a need for CPF-AS to exist after all of the 2nd track is completed? Is is so that trains can get on to the M&L and Lowell Hill track? There is universal crossover at CPF-FR, and there is going to be a new interlocking at CPF-JK. Will the MBTA install a half cross-over at CPF-JK? Also, when is said and done, will the CPF-FY be retired? When will the MBTA replace the gas plant welded rail on the #1 track east of Lawrence with the new 115lb welded rail that is laying next to main line. It looks like some of it has been installed up in the Rosement area but not down in Lawrence. See links below.

http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/project ... nt-project" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20131 ... 630632.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by jbvb

Trying to replicate the MBTA's thought process here: AS must remain an interlocking for the M&L and Lowell Hill tracks. So let's have a facing point crossover to reduce the length of the single track MBTA trains see through Lawrence station. But we don't want a curved crossover, so put it on the W side of Andover St. instead of near the Salem St. overpass. And there isn't much freight traffic using AS, so don't build access to the yard there - Frost will do.

The signals at I-495 are placed for a trailing point crossover W of the overpass and a facing point to the E. There is now a switch machine and a split-point derail on the W yard entrance there.

As I understand it, once I-495 is complete, Frye goes away.

That rail was dropped in 2009. Some was installed through Haverhill station earlier this year, but most of it just sits there. Guess those gas plant welds were not scary enough to get them priority.

The project page link is a fine bit of "how great it's going to be". But all that's actually happened at LJ and WJ is about a mile of track got assembled on the easterly RoW more than a year ago. The 2012 date makes me think the T might be able to sit on this bundle of money until 2020. It looks like the Wildcat will return to the original B&M alignment. Not clear where the 1000' of MoW track will go. Possibly a stub of the existing parallel Wildcat track.

In other news, the little track hoe is still working at Harding St. Rate of pipe placement is less than 1 piece per day so far. Nothing except bridge prettification going on between there and WJ.
  by gokeefe

jbvb wrote:The 2012 date makes me think the T might be able to sit on this bundle of money until 2020.
Pretty sure most of the projects have to be completed by 2017. As always its important to remember that sometimes the MBTA has to wait on other organizations before they can take the next step. I have no specific indications that is the case at present but in general that seems to happen a lot.
  by eastwind

jbvb wrote:As I understand it, once I-495 is complete, Frye goes away.
That's assuming the two miles of second track is finished through Andover between Frye and Macaulay, correct?
  by eastwind

CPF363 wrote:there is going to be a new interlocking at CPF-JK.
Where is CPF-JK, please?
  by davesnothere

eastwind wrote:
CPF363 wrote:there is going to be a new interlocking at CPF-JK.
Where is CPF-JK, please?
The JK Switch, was the entrance for the west end of the Lawrence yard off the old running track. It was located just north (RR east) of the Union Street overpass. This switch has been moved south, closer to I-495, taking out the old Market Basket siding, to give the yard some more lead, when the running track was relaid as the new main, and the expectation is that crossovers will be installed between the mains in this area.

Dave.
  by jbvb

"JK" was the pre-1960 South Lawrence interlocking tower, which handled the west entrance to the freight yard and the engine terminal whose remains were visible W of Union St. on the same side as the yard until fairly recently.

Yes, they can't use any of the new double track, or even connect the track they put across Andover St., until they a) do the temporary signal work necessary to use Frye as the beginning of double track or b) complete at least the trailing point (right hand) crossover at I-495 (?JK?), or c) connect the various odd bits of track through Andover to Macaulay.
  by gokeefe

jbvb wrote:That rail was dropped in 2009. Some was installed through Haverhill station earlier this year, but most of it just sits there. Guess those gas plant welds were not scary enough to get them priority.
I have wondered about this project as well. I would imagine when it does get underway it will go much faster than the current work on and around the Wildcat Branch as it is a simple case of replacing one rail for another.
  by 130MM

gokeefe wrote:
jbvb wrote:That rail was dropped in 2009. Some was installed through Haverhill station earlier this year, but most of it just sits there. Guess those gas plant welds were not scary enough to get them priority.
I have wondered about this project as well. I would imagine when it does get underway it will go much faster than the current work on and around the Wildcat Branch as it is a simple case of replacing one rail for another.
That project has been ongoing for some time now. Almost 40,000 ft. of rail has been installed.

DAW
  by jbvb

Pretty quiet on the Western Route this morning. No people, vehicles or activity at AS, I-495 or Frye. The little track hoe was parked at Andover station, having apparently gotten the drainage pipe installed nearly to the E end of the platform. The backhoe (which has presumably earned someone rent for the past two months) is still parked by Essex St. So I'll voice a guess that we'll reach next May's 4th anniversary of the Tsongas/Mullan/Baddour "sectional track by the cemetery" groundbreaking with no new double track in service.

At least speed limits are back up between Andover and LJ. But AFAIK the bridge work wasn't a "stimulus project", at least not under the original grant.
  by jbvb

Tuesday a signal crew was at I-495. The track hoe and backhoe remain parked at Andover. The only continuing activity on this project is prettification of the two Shawsheen bridges. Outside the project area, a convoy of track machines has been working between Bradford and North Andover, clearing for passenger trains in the plastic company's now-inactive siding west of Ward Hill.
  by jbvb

Today, a track gang was working on a rail joint in the easterly track between Shawsheen and I-495. The little track hoe was at Andover yesterday. Today, parts and a hole east of the Rt. 28 overpass make me think they are addressing the final manhole cover, but no workers or machines were present. The Shawsheen River bridge near Central St. in Andover may be finished. Snow had been cleared after the most recent storm, but no vehicles, workers or equipment were visible. The contractors are still working on the bridge by Lowell Jct.

From disturbed snow, it looks like a gang visited I-495 interlocking briefly, but there's no evidence that any work will take place over the winter there or at Andover St. I am thinking my "no double track in service 4 years after the ground-breaking" prediction is safe.
  by BostonUrbEx

Project Name Repair/Rehabilitation of Merrimack and Washington Street Bridges
Project Location Haverhill, MA
Contract Number B64CN01
Class 1 - GENERAL TRANSIT CONSTRUCTION
Project Value $28,707,000.00
DBE Goal 16%

Scope of Work

Work consists of repair/rehabilitation of the Merrimack River Bridge (BR. No. H-12-061(A1F)), the North Approach Bridge (BR. No. H-12-061(749)) and the Washington Street Bridge (BR. No. H-12-029(857)). The superstructure work consists of, but not limited to, partial demolition, repair of deteriorated steel structural members, strengthening the existing structural members, replacing portions of existing superstructure, replacing existing bearings, replacing the deteriorated rivets, and painting of the superstructure. The substructure work consists of, but not limited to, substructure repair/strengthening and repointing/grouting the mortar joints. Trackwork consists of, but not limited to, removal and reinstallation of existing bridge ties and replacing the existing jointed rail with continuous welded rail. Pavement milling and overlay and replacement of lighting fixtures at Washington Street Bridge area.
Send Sealed Bids to:

Director of Contract Adminstration
Transportation Building
10 Park Plaza
Contract Administration Office, 6th Floor, Room 6720
Boston, Massachusetts 02116-3975

Bids Must Be Received By: January 09, 2014 At 2:00 PM

Immediately thereafter, in a designated room, the Bids will be opened and read publicly.

Authorization for the Bidders to view the site of work on the MBTA's property shall be obtained by:
Project Manager Elizabeth Ozhathil
500 Arborway, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
Telephone Number 617-222-5112
Site Tour Date & Time* November 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Site Tour Location MBTA Haverhill Station, off of Washington Street, Haverhill, Massachusetts
Pre-Bid Meeting Date & Time ** November 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Pre-Bid Meeting Location 500 Arborway Jamaica Plain, MA
Documents Available November 06, 2013

*. Bidders are advised that they should have representation at this tour as no extra visits are planned.
**. Any request for interpretation of the Plans and Specifications should be submitted in writing at the same time.

By:

Beverly Scott
General Manager

Richard A. Davey
MassDOT Secretary & CEO