• Haverhill Line Upgrades (Western Route)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by davesnothere

jbvb wrote:Dave, that has been said to be the plan, but it doesn't explain why there has been a rather sharp-angle turnout sitting assembled W of the RoW between AS and LA tower's foundation for over a year. But of course, the two turnouts they assembled at I-495 were taken away without being used, so who knows.

When I rode the rear end Friday, I had a camera. Through-two-windows pictures are documentary quality, not classic RR photos, but they might help readers understand what's going on: https://picasaweb.google.com/1158583232 ... tAndoverSt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right, so if the assumption I made might be wrong, and that remaining turnout may used to turn the existing main connection into a crossover (which would be in the opposite direction to the new one). If they have all the work done on that other outer main crossover, they should be able to cut in that turnout and finish the connection without resorting to more Track 17 use.

...and yes, then the crossovers will span over Andover St grade crossing.

Dave.
  by gunsanplanes

jbvb wrote:Dave, that has been said to be the plan, but it doesn't explain why there has been a rather sharp-angle turnout sitting assembled W of the RoW between AS and LA tower's foundation for over a year. But of course, the two turnouts they assembled at I-495 were taken away without being used, so who knows.

When I rode the rear end Friday, I had a camera. Through-two-windows pictures are documentary quality, not classic RR photos, but they might help readers understand what's going on: https://picasaweb.google.com/1158583232 ... tAndoverSt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Outstanding pictures.
You get a higher angle on the shot, get the length of the project over a short period of time, and don't have the need to drive to one area and walk out for a picture...repeating as needed to cover everything.
Thanks for taking those and making them available.
Last edited by gunsanplanes on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by eastwind

jbvb wrote:When I rode the rear end Friday, I had a camera. Through-two-windows pictures are documentary quality, not classic RR photos, but they might help readers understand what's going on: https://picasaweb.google.com/1158583232 ... tAndoverSt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both yesterday and today when I clicked on the above link, I got this:
Google Error

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR
Unable to process request.
Has anyone else had this problem?
  by eastwind

BigUglyCat wrote:No problem here, eastwind, as of 10:25 EDT. Sounds like your PC has a problem?
Doubtless. :-)
  by davesnothere

morgan28k wrote:The crossover at AS is in. As I left there about 12 PM, there was some activity in installing the switch machine at the easterly ending of the crossover.
I drove by today, the crossover (on the straight) is indeed complete, and looks like it might be functional.
I took a photo with my phone, let's see if this works....

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B ... gA-XEM&v=3
  by eastwind

eastwind wrote:
BigUglyCat wrote:No problem here, eastwind, as of 10:25 EDT. Sounds like your PC has a problem?
Doubtless. :-)
Had the same problem today with the newest link:
"SkyDrive — Microsoft services are designed for you, but maybe not for your browser"

Switched browsers from Firefox to Safari. Safari displayed both sets of pix without hesitation. Huh.
Browser wars? Such a commotion.

At any rate, thanks Dave and jbvb for the pix. Keep up the good work. It's nice to see all the progress being made on this line.

--eastwind
  by octr202

Noticed last night that track construction has begun on the new span of the eastern bridge (near Lupine Rd). Nothing yet on the Lowell Jct span - looks like stone masons are still working on finishing the exterior of the bridge.

Andover station still the site of a long trench where the new track will be some day. I'm curious to see what it'll look like in a heavy rain - might make for a nice lake as it stands now!
  by Trinnau

davesnothere wrote:

Right, so if the assumption I made might be wrong, and that remaining turnout may used to turn the existing main connection into a crossover (which would be in the opposite direction to the new one). If they have all the work done on that other outer main crossover, they should be able to cut in that turnout and finish the connection without resorting to more Track 17 use.

...and yes, then the crossovers will span over Andover St grade crossing.

Dave.
That switch is a new switch for the M&L from my understanding. They're engineering everything to take mainline switches out of curves, and a universal crossover is unnecessary there with universals at 495 and Frost. The only reason they need a crossover at Andover St is because Lawrence station is only accessible on the #2 side - gives them a place to schedule a commuter meet between Andover and Lawrence. Otherwise the only switch left at Andover St would be for the M&L.
  by jbvb

This morning, track workers were applying a rail drill to the sharp-angle turnout that's been waiting more than a year between Andover St. and the tower foundation. Signal people were working near the new crossover. No activity at I-495; it looks like the fancy #20 turnouts will either be a long time coming, or they're being assembled elsewhere. I will see what I see out the E side of the train on my way home.

It seems like they might be going to put AS - Macaulay into service first, but of course they'll have to complete the track across Andover St. and through Andover.
  by eastwind

I think this has already been discussed somewhere in the last 130 pages (!) but is my understanding correct that, when the second track is completed between AS and Macaulay, Frye interlocking will no longer be needed and will be removed? Does anybody have a guess as to when that might be?
  by Rockingham Racer

Yes, I believe Frye will fade into the sunset. You'll have a single crossover at MacAuley, universals at I-495 and AS. As to when this will be accomplished?
Your guess is as good as mine!
  by jbvb

As I understand it, AS will be a single crossover, facing point in the sense that Macaulay is trailing point.

At any rate, neither new Shawsheen bridge span is in use this morning, though they did connect up the track on the W end of Andover's and dump a little ballast. Signal people at AS. Track gang at the lurch (bad alignment that's been there for years) W. of Frye, somebody doing something we had to slow down for just E. of the I93 overbridge.
  by eastwind

jbvb wrote: somebody doing something we had to slow down for just E. of the I93 overbridge.
Something to do with the industrial spur retaining wall that was to be removed? Or is that all gone now?
  by gunsanplanes

eastwind wrote:
jbvb wrote: somebody doing something we had to slow down for just E. of the I93 overbridge.
Something to do with the industrial spur retaining wall that was to be removed? Or is that all gone now?

I believe it wasn't yet touched and is probably what the slowdown was for.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=51163