• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ryanov

603 was back in Yard E when I passed yesterday evening.
  by ThirdRail7

Tadman wrote:Why are the ACS's in the middle of the engines every time? Doesn't that make for more work at Sacramento and Chicago to fish them out? IE you have to uncouple the power from itself as an extra step? And isn't there some type of FRA reg that mandates that dead-in-tow locomotives go immediately behind the live power? I'm no expert here, just trying to understand. Obviously I see that they're not going to flagrantly violate the rules.
Tadman, during the tests the ACS worked better if they were coupled to the "B" end on the P-42s since it eliminated the need for adapter cables. As such, they decided to sandwich the moves, even though it can go without being sandwiched.
train2 wrote:I am only qualified on diesels, but I would guess this works the same on an electric: The unit would be set to isolate, which in theory still allows fault circuits to communicate with the head end to indicate things like locked axles, etc. to the engineer via he MU cable. The only thing I don't know is how power, not traction, but electrical (not talking catnery either) is handled. Can a loco make a cross country trip and have things powered like the computer on battery power only? I can't quite remember if battery's are charged thru the MU cable? Again this in rare territory have an electric stay off power for so long.
They are D.I.T. and the ACS-64s, HHP-8s and Acela power cars do not have an isolation feature.

I seroiously doubt you'll see any of these in revenue service before the end of the month, although one is completing shakedown runs.
  by ApproachMedium

There is no battery charging via MU cables it happens via HEP cables. The battery is cut off for the locomotives trip across country. Because they are AC traction locked axle alarms dont need to be monitored. They have truck mounted traction motors like the AEM-7s so theres no support bearings to overheat and cause a locked axle either. I would imagine that they also put them in the middle because you cant operate from the electric if its dead (crews are also not qualified on these things) so if its sandwiched they can move the power set with the diesel cabs should they have to cut away from the train or spin the power should there be any failures en route.

Trucks stay cut in, hand brake is air released spring applied parking brake and works fundamentally the same as the one on the P40/P42 locomotive. With electronics powered down there is a manifold in the engine room that will allow them to apply and release it without the battery being powered on. HHP8/Acela uses the exact same parking brake system by KNORR.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

600 came up to Boston last night, 11/15 before 6pm, and followed Train #161 out of Boston, today 11/16. Had 4 Amfleets with her
  by emd645e3

Don't quote me on this, but I heard, from a source, that the first revenue run of the ACS-64 will be on train 171 out of Boston on Monday, December 2nd. I'll be patiently awaiting its arrival at Yard interlocking around 2:34pm since I'll be at the Amtrak training center.
  by Fan Railer

emd645e3 wrote:Don't quote me on this, but I heard, from a source, that the first revenue run of the ACS-64 will be on train 171 out of Boston on Monday, December 2nd. I'll be patiently awaiting its arrival at Yard interlocking around 2:34pm since I'll be at the Amtrak training center.
It's a shame if they don't get one into service for the Thanksgiving rush, but I suppose this way, they'd avoid an embarrassment if the unit failed.
  by AEM7AC920

How is it a shame? It takes time to properly test a new loco, we don't even know if it has been fully cleared by pueblo.
  by 25Hz

It would be great to get one on one of those extras from a railfan perspective, not only first revenue, but it being a one a year train.

I'm sure if they are available to use they will be used.
  by DutchRailnut

Don't forget its not only engine that has to be accepted, but engineers need to get qualified, so no they do not just dump it in service.
  by fl9m2004

I wonder if for first time a backup engine will be on train with the new engine providing all the power and the pantagraph will be down on rear engine
  by DutchRailnut

probably not, it was done on first few test trains, but it does not give confidence if Amtrak put spare engines behind their 7 million $$ toy.
  by ApproachMedium

AEM7AC920 wrote:How is it a shame? It takes time to properly test a new loco, we don't even know if it has been fully cleared by pueblo.

Yea it has, the 600 is back here on home rails and was going back and fourth to boston as posted earlier.
  by Nasadowsk

DutchRailnut wrote:probably not, it was done on first few test trains, but it does not give confidence if Amtrak put spare engines behind their 7 million $$ toy.
You can bet Siemens is going to do WHATEVER it takes to make sure that thing doesn't need an angstlok on its first run.....They know the REAL prize is the Acela replacements in a few years, and a 'home run' with the ACS-64 puts them in the #1 spot for that contract...
  by AEM7AC920

ApproachMedium wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:How is it a shame? It takes time to properly test a new loco, we don't even know if it has been fully cleared by pueblo.

Yea it has, the 600 is back here on home rails and was going back and fourth to boston as posted earlier.
Thanks, I must have missed that.
  by ThirdRail7

AEM7AC920 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:

Thanks, I must have missed that.
The acceptance runs aren't actually completed.