• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA1070

Mbta fan wrote:I jinxed it way before I said it here. My teacher had her computer freeze while we were watching a YouTube video and i told someone it happed because its Friday the 13th. No I don't believe in superstitions, but the explanation makes sense. Sorry to anyone on the affected trains. (Not really sorry :) )
I was kidding, I don't believe in them either :-D
  by BostonUrbEx

Speed restrictions related to the double tracking project on the Fitchburg Line today.

But, oddly enough, Train 220 on the Haverhill had "speed restriction" delays as well. Could be related to the Western Route double tracking, or some sort of mix up. Maybe it was supposed to be a Train 420 or something?
  by BostonUrbEx

There's a car on the Old Colony Line in Quincy. All lines to expect delays. Red Line is/was also effected.
  by MBTA1016

BostonUrbEx wrote:There's a car on the Old Colony Line in Quincy. All lines to expect delays. Red Line is/was also effected.

2 questions.
1. How did a car get on it? It's in a trench right.
2. How is the redline affected? Car recovery?
  by wyeknot108

Mbta fan wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:There's a car on the Old Colony Line in Quincy. All lines to expect delays. Red Line is/was also effected.
2 questions.
1. How did a car get on it? It's in a trench right.
2. How is the redline affected? Car recovery?
A car broke through the fence between North Quincy and Wollaston where the CR and R/L both are on a berm or sorts, and landed across the single-track CR. R/L was slowed just through that block. A heavy-duty wrecker was just arriving around 4PM.
  by BostonUrbEx

Newport Ave is at grade where the Old Colony goes from 2 tracks down to 1. The car went through the fence and is on the switch. I don't know if there was any damage to the rails or switching mechanism. The Red Line has resumed and everyone is being directed to take the Red Line to catch Old Colony trains at Quincy Center or Braintree.
  by MBTA1016

Ok, thanx. I haven't looked at any info on it since I'm watching coverage on what happened in Washington D.C.
  by BostonUrbEx

A crane was brought in to remove the car. It is now off. Service set to resume (no damage, I guess).
  by mdamico23

Rather rough ride on the Fitchburg Route the last couple of mornings due to signal issues and speed restrictions. Train 408 was about :15 minutes late yesterday into North Station 9/16.

Today (9/17), Train 408 was about :30 mins late into North Station. The first delay it hit was near the Willows- we ran at restricted speed from CPF-WL all the way to Littleton-495 station using the "original" track (Track 1). Boarded on the "inbound" side at Littleton. From there, normal speed through S Acton and into Concord. Once we hit Concord, we got stabbed for what appeared to be a 20-25 mph speed restriction through Concord Station and well into Lincoln. Lots of MBCR and JF White construction vehicles around the Great Road grade crossing. We picked up the pace through Weston, but then ended up stopped east of Brandeis/Roberts on account of Train 453 occupying the single track through Waltham. Once 453 was in the clear, normal track speed to Boston. Train 408 arrived at North Station at approximately 8:15. The conductor said that the speed restrictions might be in place for the foreseeable future and to plan accordingly.

-Mike
  by MBTA1016

I don't think this mornings temps helped either. It's suppose to be colder tomorrow morning.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

BostonUrbEx wrote:Newport Ave is at grade where the Old Colony goes from 2 tracks down to 1. The car went through the fence and is on the switch. I don't know if there was any damage to the rails or switching mechanism. The Red Line has resumed and everyone is being directed to take the Red Line to catch Old Colony trains at Quincy Center or Braintree.
The accident occurred at SQUANT interlocking, as stated, where the double trk goes down to the single track. Made for an interesting rush hour that afternoon
  by octr202

Fitchburg line is breaking the relative quiet so far this week (north, at least). Trains 423 out and 424 inbound seem to have gotten stuck in a Pan Am-related mess. Looks like they were bused inbound from Fitchburg to Ayer from the looks of the 6 or 8 T alerts I have now.