• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SecaucusJunction

I wonder if this is the longest time period that the Eastern Tier will see without a movement in a very very long time?
  by charlie6017

SecaucusJunction wrote:I wonder if this is the longest time period that the Eastern Tier will see without a movement in a very very long time?
Hope you're correct sir!
  by northjerseybuff

scary how quiet the east end is, even the rumors have died. Not good.
  by SecaucusJunction

You might want to head over to the River Line for the foreseeable future...
  by northjerseybuff

I do SJ, lots of trains many with foreign power. Tis the place to be
  by northjerseybuff

Any work going on east of Binghamton lately?
  by SecaucusJunction

From what people say, they still have a long way to go in order for this to be brought up to standards. Still takes 6+ hours for NYSW to traverse the line to Port Jervis. I believe Conrail used to do it in about 5.
  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:From what people say, they still have a long way to go in order for this to be brought up to standards. Still takes 6+ hours for NYSW to traverse the line to Port Jervis. I believe Conrail used to do it in about 5.
Yeah, I mean you really need to get the line in good order with increased speeds so those precious SU100/SU99's can make the trip in 4-5 hours rather then the current 6-7!!!! :P
  by charlie6017

blockline4180 wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:From what people say, they still have a long way to go in order for this to be brought up to standards. Still takes 6+ hours for NYSW to traverse the line to Port Jervis. I believe Conrail used to do it in about 5.
Yeah, I mean you really need to get the line in good order with increased speeds so those precious SU100/SU99's can make the trip in 4-5 hours rather then the current 6-7!!!! :P
Keep in mind though that those 2 hours can be the difference maker to ensure that a run from NJ to
Binghamton is done in the 12 hours and save the cost of an extra crew taking over from an outlawed crew.

That would actually be a substantial savings. ;-)

Charlie
  by northjerseybuff

NYSW routing is different from Conrails though..the extra time is going via Sparta
  by charlie6017

northjerseybuff wrote:NYSW routing is different from Conrails though..the extra time is going via Sparta
I understand that, but if the work being done between Campbell Hall and Bingo raises the speeds a
bit, that will still save some significant time.

Charlie
  by SecaucusJunction

Conrail and NYSW use the same route to Port Jervis, which is what I was speaking of. East of there, of course going the old Erie is going to be faster.

What was said is there is a lot of slow orders, bad tracks, and no working signals that would allow faster times if they ever really wanted to use it for more than SU99 and SU100.

Maybe the Canadians will know how to fix tracks better?
  by Autoblock

Where are there no working signals to my knowledge it is all signaled
  by L&HR C&S

>>>Where are there no working signals to my knowledge it is all signaled

Yes, Port to Binghamton is signaled.
And contrary to what some of people believe, the trackage is in decent shape, and only getting better.