Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Backshophoss

CSX and Waste Management will most likely get billed by MNR for the cleanup and track damage repairs.
Best example of Murphy's Law by CSX,wrong place....
Thankfully,no passenger trains in the area!
  by Clean Cab

What stinky, hot mess. I'll be very impressed if they get the tracks back by Monday AM.
  by Steamboat Willie

I just saw numerous pictures from my co-workers whom were/are at the scene and this ain't no small ordeal. One of the cars completely on its side obstructing track 1 inside the rock cut. They were at one point directing any passengers stuck in NY bound for Croton and or Poughkeepsie to take the Harlem line. Supposedly a bus would shuttle people over from White Plains to Croton and Pawling to Poughkeepsie. It was later changed to take the shuttle to Marble Hill.
  by Amtrak7

Clean Cab wrote:What stinky, hot mess. I'll be very impressed if they get the tracks back by Monday AM.
Do you think they'll be able to run single track service at some point, or is the nature of the damage such that its all or nothing?
  by RearOfSignal

It's amazing how this happens in the one spot on the line that would cripple it. It's been some year so far, 5 months still to go. Even in all the news reports I've never heard one mention of CSX, only a Metro-North freight train originating from Manhattan which this wasn't. With MNR being in the news so much lately you'd think the media would get at least some facts right.
  by RearOfSignal

Amtrak7 wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:What stinky, hot mess. I'll be very impressed if they get the tracks back by Monday AM.
Do you think they'll be able to run single track service at some point, or is the nature of the damage such that its all or nothing?
With derailed equipment on both tracks I doubt it. Even once the train and all cars are removed the tracks and third rail will have to be repaired, in such tight quarters it would probably be necessary to foul at least one track in order to do so.
  by 25Hz

The arcing from the 3rd rail must have been some spectacular show....
  by JimBoylan

The linked MTA video showed buses loading on the Broadway drawbridge at Marble Hill.
  by Tommy Meehan

RearOfSignal wrote:Even in all the news reports I've never heard one mention of CSX, only a Metro-North freight train originating from Manhattan which this wasn't...
I heard it identified as a "CSX garbage train," on Westchester Channel 12 and they had video from Thursday night of two CSX units stopped on Track 2 at the Spuyten Duyvil platform. (I think they were SD40-2s 8846 and 8833.) They also said -- several times -- it was ten cars of a twenty-four car train that derailed (reportedly CSX Q704).

Westchester-Rockland Journal-News also identified it as a CSX train. In fact Channel 7 Eyewitness news even correctly identified it as having originated at Oak Point yard.
  by Clean Cab

It was a CSX train, but all I heard on WCBS 880 AM was customers blaming Metro North. Go figure!!!
  by truck6018

Backshophoss wrote:CSX and Waste Management will most likely get billed by MNR for the cleanup and track damage repairs.
Best example of Murphy's Law by CSX,wrong place....
Thankfully,no passenger trains in the area!
Not placing blame as much as playing devil's advocate but what if there was no fault of CSX's equiptment or crew and there was an issue with the rail?
  by DutchRailnut

I believe it was not rail, but I could be wrong.
So far the locomotives are impounded at Croton East yard.
  by Backshophoss

If the CSX crew had known in advance of a (possible) slow order in the area,it could become a 50/50 split.
Granted the weather in the metro area is hot/humid and the rail retains some of heat from the sun,
it will be hard to tell due to the work needed to clean up the mess.
In some of the linked videos,MN is cutting rails to remove the wreckage,the entire roadbed is damaged.
This is just a thought,not a cause,possibily a top heavy or "shifted" load?
  by Freddy

There was probably a heat inspection done that day, probably sometime midday. But that's not to say the track didn't buck under the train even if an inspection was done. It's happened before. There's even been 1 case, that I know of, where, running on a slow order, the crew was able to get stopped after seeing the rail kinked up ahead of them.