Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Tommy Meehan

Looks like outbound at least, still nothing running from Grand Central. The on-line GCT departure board shows service resumption with the 11 44 AM train to Poughkeepsie. Edited - Since I posted that the 11:44 was removed from the board. :(

MNR posted this video on line. Video link.
  by Tommy Meehan

On the MNR home page, no Hudson Line service between Grand Central and Yonkers. Hudson Line riders headed to/from Yonkers-Poughkeepsie advised to take NYCT No. 1 train to Van Cortlandt Park-W. 242 Street in the Bronx. From there bus service will operate to Yonkers Station and connect with reduced train service to Poughkeepsie. Inbound the procedure is reversed. There's a special schedule up (link) showing one Yonkers-CH local and one Poughkeepsie semi express each hour, both directions.

There is special Hudson Rail Link bus service to/from Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil to the No. 1 subway on Broadway.
  by lirr42

For those not wanting to deal with the buses, Amtrak still has seats available on Empire trains between NYP and YNY in the $16-$31 range.
  by Clean Cab

I can't believe all the bad luck MN is having recently. Thankfully no one was hurt in this incident.
  by Tommy Meehan

Clean Cab wrote:I can't believe all the bad luck MN is having recently. Thankfully no one was hurt in this incident.
Roger that! And I hope no one does get hurt. The way those cars are piled up and the lack of room looks very dangerous. I give the clean up crews a lot of respect -- the heat, the smell -- and hope none of them get hurt.

Stay safe guys!
  by SwingMan

Can't even imagine how bad this could have been if a MN train had been running next to this when it derailed. Nasty day to have to clean garbage up, too.
  by DogBert

Better a freight train than a passenger train. Rescuing people from that area in this heat wouldn't have been good for anyone.
  by 25Hz

Tommy Meehan wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:I can't believe all the bad luck MN is having recently. Thankfully no one was hurt in this incident.
Roger that! And I hope no one does get hurt. The way those cars are piled up and the lack of room looks very dangerous. I give the clean up crews a lot of respect -- the heat, the smell -- and hope none of them get hurt.

Stay safe guys!
At least they are by water, which will cut the heat a little bit but not help with the smell or the humidity.
  by 25Hz

DutchRailnut wrote:pictures at http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1235692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Holy crap. I don't even want to think about what could have happened if a passenger train was traveling next to this when it happened.
  by freightguy

Yes luckily no passenger trains were passing through the rock cut between at that time. The railroad infrastructure has improved greatly since Metro North's inception. An employee at the scene last night commented " we used to 2 of these a week in 1985." What makes it more difficult as stated by the MTA is getting equipment to the actual derailment site.
  by Tommy Meehan

freightguy wrote:....What makes it more difficult as stated by the MTA is getting equipment to the actual derailment site.
I guess it depends on the agreements in force, but who IS cleaning this up? MNR or CSX?
  by DogBert

I'd imagine MN will haul any cars that need to be rerailed. Looks like one of their gp35's in that overhead video from this morning. The upright ones on the head end must have gone north overnight with the csx locos. If there was anything at the rear not derailed it probably got unhitched and towed back to harlem river.

It is MN's tracks afterall. I assume they still have at least one hi rail crane and others to clear the containers - amazingly it looks like only one opened.
  by Terrapin Station

I know someone who was on Hudson Line train #792 last night. After a delayed arrival at Riverdale, he boarded a shuttle bus. I'm not sure but it may have been a Hudson Rail Link bus. Even though the passengers were told that they would be bused to Marble Hill to meet a shuttle train to GCT, the bus driver was not aware of this and did not know where to go. The bus driver was on the phone with his boss who was supposed to meet them somewhere. The passengers were telling the bus driver that he needs to take them to Marble Hill but he didn't do that. The driver was saying that he thought he was supposed to drop them off at a NYCT Bus stop. I'm not sure what ultimately happened with the shuttle bus, but my friend and possibly others as well got off the shuttle bus somewhere along Riverdale Avenue. My friend then took a Bx7 bus to Inwood-207 St to catch the A subway train. I shudder to think of what may have happened to the people who didn't know the area at all.
  by Amtrak7

MNR estimate for service restoration: Monday AM rush hour.