• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA3247

fl9m2004 wrote:Will Amtrak trains be able to connect with the Hyannis trains at South Station
Of course. Just make sure to catch one that's scheduled to arrive at SS before the Hyannis train leaves. ;-)
  by fl9m2004

Thanks I live in Connecticut
I wonder if the MBTA train to Hyannis will be operating under the Cape Cod Central Frequency from Buzzards Bay to Hyannis or MBTA with a Cape Cod Central pilot
  by BandM4266

MBTA3247 wrote:
fl9m2004 wrote:Will Amtrak trains be able to connect with the Hyannis trains at South Station
Of course. Just make sure to catch one that's scheduled to arrive at SS before the Hyannis train leaves. ;-)
Well train #66 arrives at south station at 8am but that is not including if there are any delays ( so it maybe very hard to catch the cape flyer),and that last train arrives around 1 in the morning. Not very connection friendly at all unless you plan on getting a nights sleep at a hotel or hanging around south station for 7 hours.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

As of 4/13, It is still unknown if our MBCR crews will be operating the trains all the way to Hyannis or if a Mass Coastal will crew change in Middleboro station and take the train South.
  by theseaandalifesaver

Does anyone have the timetables yet for the service? How many trains a day? How long is the ride, generally?

I assume they'll be going all the way to Hyannis?
  by sery2831

There is a link in this discussion to the web site. They have the schedule and fare info posted.
  by KEN PATRICK

why would mass coastal crews be involved? shouldn't this be resolved before commiting to starting this? since the state owns the track and mass coastal has an operating deal, would not the operating deal include the right for anyone to operate on those tracks? and who is paying for all those new ties? i'll bet it's not mass coastal. and please don't use the term 'pilot' in referring to someone who drives a train. pilots are used where significant flexibilities exist. never the case with railroads. ken patrick
  by MBTA3247

Pilot is a legitimate railroading term. It refers to someone who is familiar with a given route assisting a crew which isn't. As MBTA crews are not familiar with the track south of Middleboro, they would require a CCC/MC pilot if they were to operate the train all the way to the Cape without a crew change at Middleboro.
  by fl9m2004

I think it depends on which crew is familar with certain districts
For example how many MBTA employees used to be certified to Hyannis while Amtrak ran cape coder from Boston
  by CRail

KEN PATRICK wrote:... and please don't use the term 'pilot' in referring to someone who drives a train.
Please don't use the term 'drives' in referring to the operation of a train.
  by CRail

Engineers and road foremen serve as pilots, like Derek said it's a legitimate term. Don't take to heart anything the troll here has to say.