• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by fl9m2004

Wonder if the Mass Coastal did any track upgrades
Went on it last year and it was really bumpy from Hyannis to Sandwich
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

currently there are only a few crew members qualified to Hyannis, 3 IIRC. There were grade crossing upgrades and tie replacement over the past few years
  by CRail

Operating crews are required to have proficient knowledge of the territory they operate over. They must commit to memory every characteristic of that territory including locations of grade crossings, signals, interlockings, sidings, mileposts, speed limits, as well as who controls that territory and how to contact that person. If that territory is controlled by another railroad, the employee operating over that territory must be familiar with the set of rules the controlling railroad operates by. It's not as simple as pushing a lever and the choo choo moves, it's a very intricate operation.

Why hasn't it been decided yet? When multiple entities are involved in anything there's often a negotiation period, and sometimes that takes longer than expected.
  by sery2831

Since a poster has a short memory. A post from above has been deleted.
sery2831 wrote:Folks, this is a railfan forum. We are here to discuss trains, and not the financial reasoning in depth. I suggest that you click the user name above, click ADD FOE and all his posts will go away. Anyone discussing heated political discussion or financials, will be deleted beyond this point.
As far the operation. It has been all worked out. To the railfan it does not matter who is running the train, just as long as the train is coming.
  by fl9m2004

True
Too bad they don't have a dome car
When was last time a passenger train from Boston went to Hyannis
  by MaineCoonCat

fl9m2004 wrote:True
Too bad they don't have a dome car
When was last time a passenger train from Boston went to Hyannis
Anyone remember the dome car Cape Cod Scenic had back in the '90's? Anyone know where that ended up? Admittedly I haven't followed the Cape Cod's "evolution" too closely..
  by fl9m2004

I recently went on it there
Still looks in great shape
New carpeting and repainted
Rode it from North Conway to Fabyans
  by jonnhrr

fl9m2004 wrote:When was last time a passenger train from Boston went to Hyannis
Probably the Cape Cod and Hyannis RR operation which I believe ended in 1988, although that train only went as far as S. Braintree, since the Old Colony track across the Neponset River was not restored at that time (not until 1997). There was a wooden platform at Braintree with a walkway to allow transfer to the Red Line. I got to ride it once, they served refreshments, i twas very nice, although the train was 25 minutes late due to a slow order and I missed my connection at South Station :(

Jon
  by wicked

Last train that ran BOS-HYA was Amtrak in 1996, via Providence.

Last train that ran BOS-HYA via the Old Colony was 1959, before the bridge burned down.
  by BostonUrbEx

wicked wrote:Last train that ran BOS-HYA was Amtrak in 1996, via Providence.

Last train that ran BOS-HYA via the Old Colony was 1959, before the bridge burned down.
What bridge? The ones over Fort Point? Or one over the canal? I'm guessing the former, as I believe the latter has been in existence since they built the canal, right?
  by MBTA3247

BostonUrbEx wrote:
wicked wrote:Last train that ran BOS-HYA was Amtrak in 1996, via Providence.

What bridge? The ones over Fort Point? Or one over the canal? I'm guessing the former, as I believe the latter has been in existence since they built the canal, right?
Neither. It was the bridge over the Neponset River that burned down.
  by highgreen215

And the railroad bridge of today was the second one, completed around 1938, long after the canal was opened.