• Feb 8-9 nor'easter...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by 25Hz

So, it looks like that minor storm predicted a few days ago is now forecast to dump 15 inches plus in the NYC and immediate area, plus high winds, and possible sleet/freezing rain and 5-10 inches along eastern PA and central NJ, and out to long island

Any of you that have to go out in this please use caution. It isn't going to be a large amount of accumulation, but it will come down very quickly as it gets dark out.
  by airman00

This is going to be real bad. I would imagine NJT would cancel saturday weekend service tomorrow. And for that matter I feel real bad for any transit workers who are required to go to work when there's 18 inches+ of snow on the ground and roads are slippery. Be safe everyone!
  by 25Hz

Looks like they are predicting another storm surge of 3-4 feet with this one. I can imagine exchange place might need to be closed, as the grade level there is only 3-4 feet above mean high tide, and that is when the surge is supposed to be at its highest. I've been there during a minor storm during high tide few years go, and wow, not a place to be!

I hope this does not affect MMC or any other NJT facilities... :\
  by Jtgshu

airman00 wrote:This is going to be real bad. I would imagine NJT would cancel saturday weekend service tomorrow. And for that matter I feel real bad for any transit workers who are required to go to work when there's 18 inches+ of snow on the ground and roads are slippery. Be safe everyone!
Unlike LIRR, NJT doesn't generally shut down every time the wind blows :)

As far as I know, there are NO plans of any kind of shut down. The biggest problem NJT has in bad weather like this is crews getting to work to actually work and maintain the trains, not so much the actual operation of them in these conditions. There might be delays, but more there is a better chance of the trains running delayed than just being shut down. Schedule modifications, especially on the NEC are probably a given, as Amtrak likes to "straight rail" meaning not use the interlockings to switch trains to different tracks to prevent problems with switches, etc.
  by ACeInTheHole

Jtgshu wrote:
airman00 wrote:This is going to be real bad. I would imagine NJT would cancel saturday weekend service tomorrow. And for that matter I feel real bad for any transit workers who are required to go to work when there's 18 inches+ of snow on the ground and roads are slippery. Be safe everyone!
Unlike LIRR, NJT doesn't generally shut down every time the wind blows :)

As far as I know, there are NO plans of any kind of shut down. The biggest problem NJT has in bad weather like this is crews getting to work to actually work and maintain the trains, not so much the actual operation of them in these conditions. There might be delays, but more there is a better chance of the trains running delayed than just being shut down. Schedule modifications, especially on the NEC are probably a given, as Amtrak likes to "straight rail" meaning not use the interlockings to switch trains to different tracks to prevent problems with switches, etc.
Like a switch freezing up and a train picking it and derailing for example? Good luck to all in this storm by the way.
  by Amtrak7

M&E/Montclair-Boonton will shut down at 8pm.
  by Tommy Meehan

It looks like pending further developments everything else will be running. Or trying to. :)
  by SecaucusJunction

I'd assume this has more to do with Amtrak "straight railing" and the lack of power in Hoboken not allowing them to be diverted there...
  by 25Hz

SecaucusJunction wrote:I'd assume this has more to do with Amtrak "straight railing" and the lack of power in Hoboken not allowing them to be diverted there...
According to NJT customer notice, they are shutting lines that were affected by hurricane sandy. In addition, amtrak had canceled a bunch of service north of NYP, so there may not be enough spare tracks in sunnyside to store all those midtown direct trains. On top of that they have to start moving stuff where they can get to it in the morning to try and have some semblance of normal service if possible.

One thing i'll say about NJT and amtrak in this situation... They are making the right choice to suspend some service and such. Even if the railroad is fine as JT said, you still gotta get the employees to work from home, and that can be difficult if it's not safe to be out on the roads.
  by ThirdRail7

25Hz wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:I'd assume this has more to do with Amtrak "straight railing" and the lack of power in Hoboken not allowing them to be diverted there...
According to NJT customer notice, they are shutting lines that were affected by hurricane sandy. In addition, amtrak had canceled a bunch of service north of NYP, so there may not be enough spare tracks in sunnyside to store all those midtown direct trains. On top of that they have to start moving stuff where they can get to it in the morning to try and have some semblance of normal service if possible.

One thing i'll say about NJT and amtrak in this situation... They are making the right choice to suspend some service and such. Even if the railroad is fine as JT said, you still gotta get the employees to work from home, and that can be difficult if it's not safe to be out on the roads.
Amtrak had nothing to do with the cancellation of the Midtown Directs.
  by 25Hz

Looks like we dodged another bullet with this storm, most of the brunt is being felt in eastern long island and up into CT, RI, and MA.

Still no midtown direct today, no M&E, no MBL today.

PJ/ML and PVL look ok, all newark div lines seem ok as well. Light rail does not seem affected either.

The order of the day today is stay home, stay off the streets, let the road crews do their jobs, don't go out if you don't need to.
  by CNJGeep

As per NJT website, all Lackawanna service to be restored by noon.
  by roachcoach1186

So the pascack valley, Main, Bergen and Port Jervis get the most snow and don't lose service? Makes no sense.

NJ Tran$it is in Metro North's pocket with the fare hike and made sure those lines were clear.
  by 25Hz

roachcoach1186 wrote:So the pascack valley, Main, Bergen and Port Jervis get the most snow and don't lose service? Makes no sense.

NJ Tran$it is in Metro North's pocket with the fare hike and made sure those lines were clear.
Those lines run through areas that blocked the worst effects of the storms due to geology and the track/shape of the storm.