• Official Black River Railroad Historic Trust Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by TM853

rwk wrote:If anybody from Black River Trust reads this, I see that I am now unable to comment on Facebook. I guess I was too quick to judge based on a photograph of a coach door. And I did have wild ideas for train excursions that would probably never happen mostly about the new Norfolk Southern steam program, like that guy commented about me on the Black River Facebook. I'm the same guy that wanted to ride your train last Saturday because of #60, and the longer ride, but I couldn't because my mom is in the hospital. I had preordered tickets in case it sold out, but then I had to request a refund at the last minute. I might try to go next year if #60 pulls a Three Bridges special or even just the normal ride to Ringoes only. I could probably care less abut being unable to comment on Facebook, because I can still read the page and ask questions about upcoming rides and such elsewhere, like on here. The same thing happened to me with other steam train Facebook pages, like Reading and Northern 425, Fort Wayne 765, Tennessee Valley 630 and 4501 where my ability to post/comment was removed. No biggie. I can still receive information from those organizations on the facebook pages and from other sources. I apologize for what I said about the peeling paint, etc. Not meant to be an offense, I was just pointing out how bad it looked. I guess I just have a big "mouth", er, hand when I type things that I shouldn't type. I did ride the BR&W once several years ago from Flemington to Ringoes and return when the red diesel was pulling the train.
Actually, I believe that you posted that the BRRHT brought "disgrace to the rail preservation community" because of a wooden door on one of the Canadian cars that you described as being in "depolrable" condition, which is beyond saying "hey, that vestibule door could use a coat of paint." Those comments coming from someone who has no involvement in the operation are offensive to all who are. Let's not forget every single individual at that railroad are volunteers, inclusive of the guys on steam crew who helped rebuild 60, which is no easy task by any stretch of the imagination. So keep that in mind before making disparaging comments like the one you did.

As I recall, too, someone from the BRRHT pointed out that they are always looking for volunteers to help with equipment maintenance and what not. Have you considered joining the organization to help fix the problems you seem so eager to point out?

Perhaps it's time to look in the mirror. Maybe you need to ask yourself why you have been kicked off what looks to be a laundry list of steam railroading Facebook pages...
  by RailsEast

Very nice shot, Ken.
I'm not a huge fan of winter, but the potential for steam & snow is an irresistible combination....... :)
Chris
  by OCtrainguy

A week late to the photo party for thee Welcome Back excursions, but it’s been a hectic week. I had purchased my ticket for the Saturday morning excursion. I couldn’t ride on Sunday due to my son’s soccer game. I started out early to catch the train in Ringoes before they left for Flemington and was rewarded with that decision. The crews were prepping the train at Ringoes

I thought about following it from Ringoes to Flemington, buy needed to beat the line at Flemington as I didn’t have my full ticket confirmation due to having the computer in for repair. By the time the train reached Flemington, the clouds had already moved in. After getting a few more photos at the station, I boarded the train.

Once in Ringoes, I got a photo of the engine heading to the runaround. It was very crowded here. Back in Flemington, after the train pulled in, I got a photo of the engine running around the train and then with the crew taking a look at the engine before the next trip.

The two o’clock excursion pushing out of Flemington station. I then was able to get a photo of the train crossing the Raritan River. Due to the clouds, I opted for a black & white look to this photo. I followed the train back to Ringoes and got a photo at Everitts Road and then letting off some steam as it accelerates out of Ringoes station to the runaround.

I enjoyed the ride and look forward to riding behind #60 again.
  by OCtrainguy

Ken W2KB wrote:Here's a photo taken today early evening of the WHOX about to deadhead back from Flemington to Ringoes:
Nicely done Ken. I hope #60 can work a few more trains before the year's end.
  by Jeff Smith

rwk wrote:If anybody from Black River Trust reads this, I see that I am now unable to comment on Facebook. I guess I was too quick to judge based on a photograph of a coach door. And I did have wild ideas for train excursions that would probably never happen mostly about the new Norfolk Southern steam program, like that guy commented about me on the Black River Facebook. I'm the same guy that wanted to ride your train last Saturday because of #60, and the longer ride, but I couldn't because my mom is in the hospital. I had preordered tickets in case it sold out, but then I had to request a refund at the last minute. I might try to go next year if #60 pulls a Three Bridges special or even just the normal ride to Ringoes only. I could probably care less abut being unable to comment on Facebook, because I can still read the page and ask questions about upcoming rides and such elsewhere, like on here. The same thing happened to me with other steam train Facebook pages, like Reading and Northern 425, Fort Wayne 765, Tennessee Valley 630 and 4501 where my ability to post/comment was removed. No biggie. I can still receive information from those organizations on the facebook pages and from other sources. I apologize for what I said about the peeling paint, etc. Not meant to be an offense, I was just pointing out how bad it looked. I guess I just have a big "mouth", er, hand when I type things that I shouldn't type. I did ride the BR&W once several years ago from Flemington to Ringoes and return when the red diesel was pulling the train.
Read this:
PVRX1 wrote:We would like to thank everyone who came out to ride 60 last weekend, came out to photograph 60 last weekend, and for the interest you showed in the operation and the locomotive. I believe everything went off well (I was not in NJ on Saturday).

I would like to personally remind everyone to respect your limitations and safety. Standing in the guage, climbing on equipment, and tresspassing on private property can get you in trouble, or it can get you asked in a polite or impolite manner to move or leave. We had one guy climb on the one of our transload operator's tractor trailers in an area clearly marked no trespassing and roped off. Other than being there, he climbed up on top of a truck which said fan is lucky the operator who leases that parcel of land does not charge him with tresspasing. This kind of stuf gives railfans a bad name.

Common sense, respect, and safety - please.

JH (President BRRHT)
Seconded, and I hope someday to be in your area. To visit what sounds like a great operation.

RWK, I'm going to make the assumption that you're relatively young. Maybe you're driving age, maybe you're a bit older. I make the assumption because you remarked about your mom being in the hospital. I hope she's okay.

I remember as a young railfan in the 70's doing all kinds of stuff that was frankly wrong. Honestly, I still get that "foamer" mentality once in a while, and go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to see the enthusiasm on both sides. It's a tough balance between railfan and railroader; read the NJT page, and see my creed. And the railroaders on here, and the preservationists, have a lot of good advice for everyone to take.

Anyway, just thought I'd check in here. Keep up the good work.
  by RailsEast

Stephen, great photos; the monochrome image over the Raritan is timeless, could very easily be a shot from 1952. Cloudy weather is not always bad for steam operations, as evident by your work.
Rwk, just think good thoughts, brother; if not for the many operators like the BR&W, much of this equipment would have met the scrappers torch decades ago, and we would never have had the oppurtunity to see it in person (no matter the condition), no less ride on it. These folks (mostly volunteer) work so friggin' hard, with limited funds, to maintain these pieces of history for us to enjoy. Positive comments will always yield goodwill, while excessive criticism will yield....well, you get the picture. And, as Jeff mentioned, all the best to mom, we hope things work out in her favor.
Chris
  by PVRX1

Hi All,

Our popular North Pole Express trains operate Saturdays through Christmas and on Black Friday. These trains are by reservation and are all just about sold out so go to www.flemingtontrain.org for tickets.

More family fun can be had on Sundays through Christmas with our Santa Claus Express trains. These trains are first come first serve. Details can also be found at www.flemingtontrain.org.

This week's Friday and Saturday power will be BDRV 1202. This Sunday power will be...........

JH
  by OCtrainguy

RailsEast wrote:Stephen, great photos; the monochrome image over the Raritan is timeless, could very easily be a shot from 1952. Cloudy weather is not always bad for steam operations, as evident by your work.

Chris
Thanks Chris. You did a great job with yours. I was hoping for the sun to be out when the train crossed the river, like in your photos. One of these days I will get a sunny day at that location.
  by NYSW2300

PVRX1 wrote:Hi All,

Our popular North Pole Express trains operate Saturdays through Christmas and on Black Friday. These trains are by reservation and are all just about sold out so go to http://www.flemingtontrain.org for tickets.

More family fun can be had on Sundays through Christmas with our Santa Claus Express trains. These trains are first come first serve. Details can also be found at http://www.flemingtontrain.org.

This week's Friday and Saturday power will be BDRV 1202. This Sunday power will be...........

JH

The engine that NJ.com calls "New Jersey's only operating ALCo Steam Locomotive........." ?
  by rwk

I'm 38 but live at home with my mom, brother, and mom's male friend of 19 years (my father passed away March 8, 1986). I love steam trains, but sometimes I get out of hand with comments not thinking how those comments affect others or the business because I have mild autism. I made a hasty comment without thinking, and I paid for it with the ability to comment removed from the BRRHT Facebook page.
  by PVRX1

Hmmmm. Have about another days worth of coal left in 60. Should we use it or save it for spring ?
  by PVRX1

We will likely put her out one more time before the season closes.

However, it will definately NOT be this weekend (December 1-2).

JH