• D&O-era Central New York (CNYK) Richfield Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Cactus Jack

It was a washed area they did not see till too late.

And it was really, really cold. They hauled the consist to West Winfield with ex ADRC #29.
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

Russ,this bridge is still in use by the farmer to the east.The stone loader is an abandoned farm bridge between here and Babcock Hill Rd. If you pan south from here you will see the road that used to connect to it coming in from the west side.
  by Kuyahoora Valley

Yes Cactus Jack it was bitter cold that day...I remember that. My 65 Plymouth was struggling to put out the heat. Here's another pic of that derailment that shows the washout...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Cactus Jack

Kuyahoora Valley:

Indeed, bitter cold and I do remember your '65 Plymouth too, nice wheels !
Thanks for the pics. Durwood Carman was the engineer and it was, I think, about a week before NYSW took over the Utica - Binghamton line. The ex Adirondack #29 was serviced at Clayville Richers by DO crews and a Conrail crew was called extra to run the engine from Richers to Richfield Jct. and turn it over to the CNY. After the equipment from this wreck was rerailed the #29 came and pulled everything to West Winfield. Looked nice to see a doubleheader with 2 RS-3's come in ! I don't recall all that much equipment damage and the track was repaired rather quickly.

CJ