• Acela Speeds

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by afiggatt

Amtrak has made it official. Just in time to get this thread back on topic. The 165 mph test runs begin tonight on Sept 24 and will be performed on four segments on the NEC, including Perryville to Wilmington. Press release is at http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/623/361/Amt ... 12-084.pdf.
AMTRAK TO OPERATE TEST TRAINS AT 165 MPH
Four test areas cover more than 100 miles of the Northeast Corridor
WASHINGTON— Beginning tonight and continuing into next week, Amtrak plans to operate high-speed test trains at 165 mph in four areas covering more than 100 miles of the Northeast Corridor. The tests in Maryland / Delaware, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Massachusetts are locations that may at some future time experience regular 160 mph service.

The tests will utilize high-speed Acela Express equipment and will measure the interaction between the train and the track, rider quality and other safety factors. The test runs must be performed at 5 mph above the expected maximum operating speed of 160 mph.

The test areas between approximately Perryville, Md. – Wilmington, Del. (21.3 miles) and Trenton – New Brunswick, N.J. (22.9 miles) currently have a maximum speed limit of 135 mph. The test areas between approximately Westerly – Cranston, R.I. (29.2 miles) and South Attleboro – Readville, Mass. (27.8 miles) currently have a maximum speed limit of 150 mph. The same areas were used for similar high-speed tests before the introduction of Acela service.

The initial test run is in New Jersey where Amtrak is presently advancing design, engineering and other pre-construction activities for a $450 million project funded by the federal high-speed rail program. The project includes upgrading track, electrical power, signal systems and overhead catenary wires to improve reliability for Amtrak and commuter rail service, and is necessary to permit regular train operations at the faster speeds. Some construction activity is anticipated in 2013, but the project will ramp up dramatically thereafter to be completed in 2017.
  by Mike77E9

afiggatt wrote:Amtrak has made it official. Just in time to get this thread back on topic. The 165 mph test runs begin tonight on Sept 24 and will be performed on four segments on the NEC, including Perryville to Wilmington. Press release is at http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/623/361/Amt ... 12-084.pdf
Something tells me that the Kingston, RI and the Princeton Junction, NJ train stations will have railfans out in full force over the next week...
  by amtrakowitz

afiggatt wrote:Amtrak has made it official. Just in time to get this thread back on topic. The 165 mph test runs begin tonight on Sept 24 and will be performed on four segments on the NEC, including Perryville to Wilmington. Press release is at the Amtrak website here.
AMTRAK TO OPERATE TEST TRAINS AT 165 MPH
Four test areas cover more than 100 miles of the Northeast Corridor
WASHINGTON— Beginning tonight and continuing into next week, Amtrak plans to operate high-speed test trains at 165 mph in four areas covering more than 100 miles of the Northeast Corridor. The tests in Maryland / Delaware, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Massachusetts are locations that may at some future time experience regular 160 mph service.

The tests will utilize high-speed Acela Express equipment and will measure the interaction between the train and the track, rider quality and other safety factors. The test runs must be performed at 5 mph above the expected maximum operating speed of 160 mph.

The test areas between approximately Perryville, Md. – Wilmington, Del. (21.3 miles) and Trenton – New Brunswick, N.J. (22.9 miles) currently have a maximum speed limit of 135 mph. The test areas between approximately Westerly – Cranston, R.I. (29.2 miles) and South Attleboro – Readville, Mass. (27.8 miles) currently have a maximum speed limit of 150 mph. The same areas were used for similar high-speed tests before the introduction of Acela service.

The initial test run is in New Jersey where Amtrak is presently advancing design, engineering and other pre-construction activities for a $450 million project funded by the federal high-speed rail program. The project includes upgrading track, electrical power, signal systems and overhead catenary wires to improve reliability for Amtrak and commuter rail service, and is necessary to permit regular train operations at the faster speeds. Some construction activity is anticipated in 2013, but the project will ramp up dramatically thereafter to be completed in 2017.
Nothing about the Tier II limitations that still say "up to 150 mph", or about the FRA possibly altering them to permit their "expected" 160 mph MOS.
  by ThirdRail7

Mike77E9 wrote:
afiggatt wrote:Amtrak has made it official. Just in time to get this thread back on topic. The 165 mph test runs begin tonight on Sept 24 and will be performed on four segments on the NEC, including Perryville to Wilmington. Press release is at http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/623/361/Amt ... 12-084.pdf
Something tells me that the Kingston, RI and the Princeton Junction, NJ train stations will have railfans out in full force over the next week...

Before you report to your viewing locations, watch the weather. The tests will not occur in the rain. Be prepared to be out there for quite some time to enjoy the full benefits of the tests.

The Yard-Perryville tests kind of bothers me. In my (uninformed) opinion, Perryville should be the beginning. If the bridges over the Bush and Gunpowder rivers can handle it, I don't see why the speed can't increase to 150 from Perryville to MP 85. TYou could probably coax 135 for the curve between Oak and Grace, 130 for the curve north of Aberdeen on 2 track, most likely 135 on 4 track, 140 for the curve south of Aberdeen. If you can coax 130 on 4 track for the curve north of Bush, you can probably get 135-140 on 2 track. The next restriction would be the curve north of Gunpowderm ad to be honest, I don't think you can get more than the current 120mph out of it. The curve through Chase doesn't seem like it would present much of a problem.

Then again, I don't know anything about track geometry, which is why I said my opinion is uninformed. However, I think it is worth testing.
  by Mike77E9

Latest article from Boston.com is reporting 10:30 through NJ tonight: http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermon ... story.html
Amtrak is going to break the speed limit in the Northeast Corridor.

The rail service announced Monday it will operate test trains overnight at 165 mph in four stretches from Maryland to Massachusetts.

Acela Express equipment will be used for the tests, which were to start at about 10:30 p.m. Monday in New Jersey and will continue into next week, Amtrak spokesman Cliff Cole said.
I'm making my way to Princeton Junction tonight.
  by The EGE

It takes about 4 seconds for the 663-foot trainset to pass - that's about 150 feet per second or 100mph. Fast, but definitely not 165.
  by gregorygrice

It seems like everyone left Princeton JCT just before they did the last run doing 170MPH.
  by 25Hz

Man, i can't believe i missed it!!!!
  by 25Hz

The EGE wrote:It takes about 4 seconds for the 663-foot trainset to pass - that's about 150 feet per second or 100mph. Fast, but definitely not 165.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzN78VTL ... ature=plcp Taken by me at trenton. Takes 6 seconds to pass coming up on track workers (hence the horn)

Based on that footage and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oIlTin5 ... ature=plcp Taken by me at levittown. Likely a keystone with 4 cars, going 110-125. The whole video is 9 seconds and a big chunk of that is after the train is long gone down the rails!

I can say with some certainty that the video posted on youtube of the supposed test run was not even going 125 mph.
  by morris&essex4ever

gregorygrice wrote:It seems like everyone left Princeton JCT just before they did the last run doing 170MPH.
170 mph?!!
  by Mike77E9

morris&essex4ever wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:It seems like everyone left Princeton JCT just before they did the last run doing 170MPH.
170 mph?!!
Damnit! We all thought 165mph was going to be about it. Here's my video from last night, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWf-ipNl5fQ
  by Acela Express

Now that's what I'm talking about mike you got some great shots. That was without a doubt 165 m.p.h. It looks like we took a play from the TGV test runs and used only the rear pantograph. Nevertheless a good step towards raising the speed on the NEC.