• Acela Speeds

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Mcoov

I don't think the Erie had rails in Indiana by the time the gauge was standardized at 4ft 8.5in. My guess for the huge separation is drainage.
  by 25Hz

Any word on dates yet?????
  by ThirdRail7

25Hz wrote:Any word on dates yet?????
You guys have been talking so much, you might have missed them!
  by morris&essex4ever

This Saturday and Sunday from 3 am to 6 am.
  by hi55us

morris&essex4ever wrote:
I believe you meant to write 3 pm to 6 pm...
  by Tadman

I wouldn't bet against 3a-6a. There's few people out, almost no trains out, cheaper electricity... 3a is a reasonable bet from an objective standpoint.
  by ThirdRail7

hi55us wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
Don't get too excited. I would be extremely surprised if you saw the train this Saturday during either time period. I also doubt you'll see testing this Sunday. Before you head out there, check your sources, M&E.
  by morris&essex4ever

ThirdRail7 wrote:
hi55us wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
Don't get too excited. I would be extremely surprised if you saw the train this Saturday during either time period. I also doubt you'll see testing this Sunday. Before you head out there, check your sources, M&E.
Lol, I was kidding. I apologize for not making it obvious.

But seriously, wouldn't the early morning hours be ideal for the testing?
  by Hawaiitiki

amtrakowitz wrote:
Hawaiitiki wrote:"For the "standard railroad of the world", the PRR sure got showed up by the Erie when it came to overbuilding infrastructure. Linked below is a pic of the Erie main in Indiana, where the mains were something like 25' apart."

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 719&nseq=4"

Perhaps Erie took such ambitious measures expecting the Axis Powers to win WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

"the Breitspurbahn was developed with a track width of 3,000 mm (9 ft 10 1⁄8 in), over double the width of the common standard gauge track, and three times the width of the common semi-narrow "metre gauge" track. Planning called for a ballastless track (much as was developed 30 years later for San Francisco BART and 40 years later for German high speed lines) which consisted of two parallel pre-stressed concrete "walls" sunk into the ground, joined at the top by a flat tranverse slab."
No. The Erie's original track gauge was 6 feet.
No In regards to what? You mean the Erie Railroad really didnt think Heinrich Himmler would be riding the rails between Jersey City and Buffalo?
  by amtrakowitz

Mcoov wrote:I don't think the Erie had rails in Indiana by the time the gauge was standardized at 4ft 8.5in. My guess for the huge separation is drainage.
The Erie changed gauges in 1880. They finally got a route open through Indiana six years later, but it isn't necessarily fair to think that their future planning at one point did not account for a possible 6'-gauge running track; they were partners with many other railroads west of NY state long before 1880.
Hawai'itiki wrote:You mean the Erie Railroad really didnt think Heinrich Himmler would be riding the rails between Jersey City and Buffalo?
I see no need to Godwinize the thread.
  by Arlington

morris&essex4ever wrote:
Did Saturday's test happen this morning?
  by morris&essex4ever

Arlington wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
Probably not. I was kidding when I gave those days as the test dates.
  by Arlington

morris&essex4ever wrote:
Arlington wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
Probably not. I was kidding when I gave those days as the test dates.
We're going to need to find a new outlet for your creative writing. Also the emoticon celebrated its 30th anniversary Friday as a marker of attempted humor.
  by Tadman

MOD NOTE

"Godwinize", had to look that up... from the wiki page: "Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler and the Nazis."

I think we've hit the "Godwin" point... Maybe a first for RR.net. Anywho, we've had our fun yukking about the Erie (started by yours truly) and the less-than-friendly German gov't of the prior mid-century, (and learned some new stuff in the process) but maybe we keep this thread to when the Acela starts testing at 165?

THANKS
  by 25Hz

Tadman wrote:THANKS