• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by poppyl

I wish that I could give you a good, definitive answer to your question.

If (this is an uncertain "if" at this time) the WG traffic pattern has changed so that FGLK can handle WG business in a morning, they may be able to run straight from Geneva to WG and back in one shift. So I'd look for them on the Secondary on M-W-F. If, however, the old pattern of switching WG traffic (including the roundtrip from Himrod) requiring almost a full shift still holds true, you can look for FGLK to run the previous day's WG traffic up to Geneva in the AM (I caught them a little before 10 AM this week) with new traffic back in the PM on T-Th.

Of course, some of this scheduling depends upon when the Class I's deliver their interchange traffic to FGLK.

As my time and schedule permits, I'll nose around Himrod to see what's going on.

Poppyl
  by Matt Langworthy

Thanks. I appreciate the information.
  by bwparker1

Poppyl has given the best advice. When I was renting a cottage on Keuka Lake in 2002, I called the FGLK office and they were kind enough to let us know that they were running train to Himrod from Geneva. We caught the train, and chased it, and then the conductor told us they we going to work north to Penn Yan. They spotted a car of plastics that day. If you can catch them at Himrod, they'll probably let you know if they are running to Penn Yan.

Also, does anyone know where the stone comes from that gets dumped at the Himrod yard?

BWP
  by poppyl

Oaks Corners. The crusher run is shipped entirely on FGLK. Customer at Himrod is RK Howell Gravel Products of Dundee.

FYI -- the Geneva run left Himrod at a little past 7:30 this morning.

Poppyl
  by bwparker1

FYI, just checked out the FGLK website for the first time in a while, and noticed these two informative maps. The FGLK map almost seems designed for railfans, with the job numbers and days of the week included!

http://www.fglkrail.com/files/FGLK_Serv ... 10_Jan.pdf

http://www.fglkrail.com/files/final_Empire%20Link_2.pdf

BWP
  by gearken

Hi Group, A friend and I are planning on making a first time railfan trip to the Finger Lake RR on Sunday, we hope to chase train GS2 to Solvay. Could someone please answer a few questions.

We plan to sign a release at the Geneva office so we can take photos at the engine house and perhaps get some train info. Will there be office staff working on a Sunday that can help us?

Does GS2 reliably run on a Sunday, I mean is there a good chance the train will actually operate?

What time should we expect the crew to come on duty?

Last question, we want to photograph the train at the station on State Street in Seneca Falls and on the causeway at Cayuga. Can we beat the train to Cayuga using US20/NY5 and NY 90? Mapquest says this would take 12 minutes.

All information and advice will be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Ken Gear
  by poppyl

Long, long overdue but it looks like FGLK will be replacing quite a number of ties and some rail between Himrod and Penn Yan. Some of that rail may go back to the Northern Railroad days.

Poppyl
  by scharnhorst

gearken wrote:Hi Group, A friend and I are planning on making a first time railfan trip to the Finger Lake RR on Sunday, we hope to chase train GS2 to Solvay. Could someone please answer a few questions.

We plan to sign a release at the Geneva office so we can take photos at the engine house and perhaps get some train info. Will there be office staff working on a Sunday that can help us?

Does GS2 reliably run on a Sunday, I mean is there a good chance the train will actually operate?

What time should we expect the crew to come on duty?

Last question, we want to photograph the train at the station on State Street in Seneca Falls and on the causeway at Cayuga. Can we beat the train to Cayuga using US20/NY5 and NY 90? Mapquest says this would take 12 minutes.

All information and advice will be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Ken Gear
It is possible to get ahead of the Geneva-Solvay Train and get to Seneca Falls it takes Finger Lakes about 45 minuets to get from Geneva to Seneca Falls. As for getting to the Station in Cayuga, NY on RT90 it will not be possible to get head of them. Best bet would be to tun on to West Genesee, St in Cayuga and take it into Auburn go to your 3ed traffic Light make a Left on to Columbus St there is a small Yard there where the FGLK keeps a loco parked. When departing the Yard make a Left go to the traffic light make a Right and you'll be back on RT5. Go down 2 traffic lights and make a left onto State Street. Pass the Hilton Garden Hotel and you'll see a parking lot kiddy corner there by the RR Bridge pull in the lot and wait for the train The Trip for FGLK from Seneca Falls to Auburn is approx an Hour to hour and half wait depending on the number of cars they are pulling up grade. If you stay on RT 5 you'll stray away from the tracks a lot but if your fast enough you can make it to Skaneatlas Jct to catch the FGLK before they pass by the area.

In Solvay the Solvay job works 7 days a week you'll want to jump on 690 and follow the State Fail exit signs one you get off 690 stay to the Far Left Lane and make a Left go up the road and make your first and only Right onto Willis Ave go over the bridge and make a Right and you'll catch the Solvay job switching out Rock Tenn.
  by scharnhorst

Finger Lakes cleared out a large area in preparation for there 2ed transfer site in Auburn a few days ago. The area highlighted in Red was cleared out last October of all the trees that had been there and was left alone most of the year. With in the last few days Finger Lakes brush hogged the area and has a Bulldozer breaking ground. This New Transfer sight will alone Car Loads of Scrap to be brought in by Rail where it will then be transferred to semi trucks and then transported to Nucor. The Yellow is the current FGLK Track in the Auburn area the Red is the old NYC Yard that has been uncovered for the new Transfer terminal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by scharnhorst

area that has been cleared out with in the last few days approx 100 feet wide by 100 yards long give or take
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by scharnhorst

area that has been cleared out with in the last few days
  by scharnhorst

area that has been cleared out with in the last few days
  by scharnhorst

Also on a side note Cab 202 was tagged by 5M from what I have heard it's a Gang of Kids / Teens that has formed in the former West Side Posse stomping grounds on the West end of Auburn.
  by Awol

As I was driving down Rt 5 & 20 in Geneva today, I saw what I thought was the 2308 (Camas Parairie unit) hooked to the blue caboose... I thought that unit was up in Glen's Falls?
  by Aji-tater

That's the OTHER 2308! :wink:

Maybe you should call the FGLK dispatcher and see if there's any way to access the GPS tracking for their units, like you can do for Strates Shows and other stuff! :P

(This site needs better smilies! Only 5 to choose from and they're lame! :( )