• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by cruiser939

JR4815D2 wrote:I am not sure if this video clip was posted on this thread. I don't recall seeing it, but sorry if the video has been posted.

http://www.deutschebahn.com/site/bahn/z ... n__GB.html
I think this get's more interesting every time it gets posted here.
  by cruiser939

ryanov wrote:Why use a Comet IV cab? Don't they have any working III cabs anymore?
Better question, why does it matter?
  by cruiser939

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:They will eventually be able to pass through the North River Tubes, but not yet.
They are already allowed through and have gone through the North River Tunnels as I mentioned back in December.
  by cruiser939

beanbag wrote:I was thinking that exact thing with the under wires west of Dover and Long Branch etc... they would most definitely benefit the Hackettstown trains because last I checked there is a 60 mph limit for diesels on the M@E, switch the 45 to electric and there goes the limit, those diesel powered Summit expresses from Broad Street are going to get a whole lot quicker.
Where do you come up with this fantastic BS? Diesels limited to 60? I mean come on... Even if they were, the Summit - Broad St. run wouldn't "get a whole lot quicker" as the MAS on tracks 1 and 2 is 70 btw MILLBURN and the curve over the I-280 bridge.
  by cruiser939

beanbag wrote:
Head-end View wrote:Yeah, (chuckle!) I did some research after my post. Again I say they are weird looking units. The body appears to sit very low over the trucks. I truly hope NJT has better luck with them than LIRR had with their dual-mode locos.
I noticed that too, the beltline on the 45s is so low, but the roofline is so high, they look taller than they are. (They are about the same height as a 42,but yet the 42s look much more porportional heightwise). I need to see one in person again, when are these things gonna go into revenue service already? Also how muc you guys wanna bet that when they do start with revenue service that the 42 assisting it will be the one that craps out (if an engine does break) and not the 45? Id love to see that.
Why would you love to see a locomotive, regardless of what model it is, crap out?
  by cruiser939

michaelk wrote:
ryanov wrote:
Sirsonic wrote:While I agree that they are certainly a waste of money if their not used for their designed purpose, you forgot about service from Raritan/High Bridge to New York (which would, of course, require taking the slot of an existing train to New York from another line) as well as west of Dover and the Montclair Line west of MSU to Mountain Lakes to New York. Also, although not their originally intended purpose, they could also run from those outlying points and complete their journey to Hoboken under wire.
Ideally IMO (but probably not practical due to the track limitations) a few NEC trains would run to Hoboken again and the transfer to NY on those trains could be a Raritan Valley train. But I guess there are issues with the number of seats and whatnot also.

I'd love that but someone (Cruiser i think) pointed out that a NEC train is pretty big (could be like 8-10 cars?) and a typical Raritan Valley Line train is relatively much smaller (more like 5?). So they couldn't likely be able to get everyone off a NEC train to transfer to a RVL train to make that work. I'm pretty sure those of us who use the RVL are hosed for the foreseeable future with the possible exception of a midday or weekend train here or there.
Correct.
  by cruiser939

Hawaiitiki wrote:Amtrak also has a "significant interest" in NJT building a flyover at Hunter before being more receptive to NJT routing rush-hour Raritan Valley trains into NYP.
Everyone has interest in a flyover being built at Hunter, not just Amtrak. Any such construction would not necessarily be NJT work since it is Amtrak property. Furthermore, the flyover has no bearing on where RVL trains are routed. They manage to work with the infrastructure the way it is now. If there were to be more trains added, then Amtrak would have grounds for requesting a flyover.
  by cruiser939

25Hz wrote:
michaelk wrote:I'd love that but someone (Cruiser i think) pointed out that a NEC train is pretty big (could be like 8-10 cars?) and a typical Raritan Valley Line train is relatively much smaller (more like 5?). So they couldn't likely be able to get everyone off a NEC train to transfer to a RVL train to make that work. I'm pretty sure those of us who use the RVL are hosed for the foreseeable future with the possible exception of a midday or weekend train here or there.
RVL trains are typically 6 and sometimes 5 or 7 cars. The dual modes and the alp46a have enough HEP for 12 multilevels, but i'm not sure if or when regular 12 car trains will run in service. Perhaps someone (cruiser?) could enlighten us.
Yeah, never. So don't get your hopes of for a return of your beloved "supercruiser".
  by cruiser939

ryanov wrote:
michaelk wrote:I'd love that but someone (Cruiser i think) pointed out that a NEC train is pretty big (could be like 8-10 cars?) and a typical Raritan Valley Line train is relatively much smaller (more like 5?). So they couldn't likely be able to get everyone off a NEC train to transfer to a RVL train to make that work. I'm pretty sure those of us who use the RVL are hosed for the foreseeable future with the possible exception of a midday or weekend train here or there.
A couple of thoughts there are that maybe some people would stay on to Hoboken (don't know) and that you might need a longer RVL train anyway if you're running that particular one into NY. Don't know.
Huh?
  by cruiser939

25Hz wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
25Hz wrote:
RVL trains are typically 6 and sometimes 5 or 7 cars. The dual modes and the alp46a have enough HEP for 12 multilevels, but i'm not sure if or when regular 12 car trains will run in service. Perhaps someone (cruiser?) could enlighten us.
You sure about that?
As i've been on a 12 car train hauled by a 46, yes. This was back when 44's were still in service - the train was broken in 2 at morrisville to give a 5 car train to a 44 and 7 cars stayed with the 46, this was confirmed by me noting the car numbers, had to wait at trenton for 3 hours and i saw both leave for nyp.

Also in various njt pdf's it is noted that the newer locomotives (45 & 46a) had the head end power for 12 multilevels. If this was changed i wasn't aware.
Because there's no better tracking system then a foamer trying to remember all the car numbers he sees at Trenton over the course of 3 hours. You really are crazy.
  by cruiser939

beanbag wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:well look at that, they weren't the 451X and 451X - i read that as if they were being delivered on center street.....my bad :)

I wonder if they are testing them MU'ed now. That could be interesting. One go into diesel mode, the other go into electric mode hahaha
Its okay JT, they were most definitely not on Center Street.. that I know is up much higher in the yard
Well obviously you don't know since the Center Street Branch is not in the yard at all.
  by cruiser939

Jishnu wrote:Yesterday at TransAction 2012 in Atlantic City, there was a session on the ALP45-DP in which a gentleman from Foley presented on the Caterpillar prime mover and a gentleman from Bombardier presented on the locomotive. Both were very good presentations full of very useful and detailed facts about the units. A few interesting tidbits that I learned are:

i. The Montreal derailment was not caused by the locomotive but by a track defect. The report is to be released officially within the next couple of days.

ii. NJT has 8 ALP45-DPs on property.

iii. The Pueblo tests have been completed successfully. In those tests the units were tested in e-Mode at upto 125mph.

iv. NJT is likely to introduce them in commercial service in late summer, most likely on the Montclair-Boonton Line. This last piece of information from an NJT gentleman in the session on "How does NJT Compare with other Transit Agencies" which was moderated by the Editor in Chief of Railway Age.
TransAction is a fun dog and pony show for those who are not intricately involved with the railroad industry, but for those of us who are, there is really nothing to learn from what goes on there. Nothing you posted is really news that you couldn't have already found out from reading my posts here. It's nice of you to report on what happened though for those here who aren't so much in "the know" and also just to make sure that I'm not completely off my rocker.

1. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 0#p1019918

2. well that's just wrong info. NJT has much more than 8 ALP-45's on property.

3. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 25#p994902

4. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 0#p1019943

So you see, you could have saved all that money and just read my posts for better info than you picked up at TransAction. Actually, that gives me an idea... I'm going to hold a rival event called CruiserCon. You can pay me your money and I'll just answer some questions that you might have about NJT and maybe charge a little extra for fields trips to places on the property. Included in the registration fee will be rental of a sleeping bag or aero-mattress so you can have a Cruiser Camp-out and also signature Cruiser blend coffee in the mornings. You can even purchase some coffee, which I'll trademark "Cruiser Grind", to bring home to your loved ones as you recount tales from you amazing CruiserCon experience! :P
  by alewifebp

cruiser939 wrote:So you see, you could have saved all that money and just read my posts for better info than you picked up at TransAction. Actually, that gives me an idea... I'm going to hold a rival event called CruiserCon. You can pay me your money and I'll just answer some questions that you might have about NJT and maybe charge a little extra for fields trips to places on the property. Included in the registration fee will be rental of a sleeping bag or aero-mattress so you can have a Cruiser Camp-out and also signature Cruiser blend coffee in the mornings. You can even purchase some coffee, which I'll trademark "Cruiser Grind", to bring home to your loved ones as you recount tales from you amazing CruiserCon experience! :P
Sign me up! I'd personally love to see the interaction between Cruiser and TRE/HBLR/25Hz. It would be well worth the admission price.
  by mtuandrew

alewifebp wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:So you see, you could have saved all that money and just read my posts for better info than you picked up at TransAction. Actually, that gives me an idea... I'm going to hold a rival event called CruiserCon. You can pay me your money and I'll just answer some questions that you might have about NJT and maybe charge a little extra for fields trips to places on the property. Included in the registration fee will be rental of a sleeping bag or aero-mattress so you can have a Cruiser Camp-out and also signature Cruiser blend coffee in the mornings. You can even purchase some coffee, which I'll trademark "Cruiser Grind", to bring home to your loved ones as you recount tales from you amazing CruiserCon experience! :P
Sign me up! I'd personally love to see the interaction between Cruiser and TRE/HBLR/25Hz. It would be well worth the admission price.
I want Sully to do the posters and promotional artwork.
  by ns3010

There are currently two units (one NJT and one AMT) sitting in the port. Couldn't see numbers from the bus, but I would guess that the Transit one was 4512.