• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by StefanW

railfan1988 wrote:The Eastern Route is currently shut down between Boston and Lynn, due to a fire emergency. Does anyone know where exactly the fire is? My best guess is that it is in the marsh, near Wonderland, but if I am wrong, please correct me.
When we (#185) finally got up to Revere, all the fire department activity was around Oak Island. One fire engine was right at the crossing, and several others were in sight on the other streets in the Oak Island neighborhood. I saw on the WCVB 11PM news last night a short video clip from a helicopter that showed raging fire right along a double-track RoW so I'm assuming that was the same location - but the news coverage just referred to several brush fires around the region and didn't specifically mention the Revere fire nor the impact on the trains.

I was really surprised when we got to Lynn station. One inbound train (obviously also very delayed by the fire) was just departing the station, and right behind it was another one slowly pulling in! The tail end of the first train's locomotive hadn't yet cleared the platform when the second train's control cab was at the platform. They weren't dangerously close because the Lynn platforms are good for 11 cars I believe - so there was probably 10 cars' length between the two train - but still that's two trains in the same signal block which is unusual.
  by Komarovsky

The p523 was stuck at Framingham for 20 minutes waiting for what looked like a csx engine move. No T alert for the delay. Does anyone have any firmer info on the delay?
  by Komarovsky

Is that the CSX dispatch on the scanner? Also we're stuck in downtown ashland right before the main st grade crossing at another stop signal. T alert says its a switch problem.

Edit: the p530 is delayed 20 minutes due to "roadway" problems. Issues with a grade crossing maybe?
  by butts260

Riding on 116 today, noticed a medium approach aspect at the tunnel entrance; crossed over at Castle Hill to track 1; at Swampscott saw #1010 by its lonesome on track 2 at the platform. At the Wonderland crossover saw a loco waiting on track 1 outbound for us to clear.
  by Komarovsky

Just got a T-alert stating that inbound trains from Worcester will be delayed 10-15 minutes due to track work between Worcester and Westboro. Anyone know any more details about the work?
  by BostonUrbEx

I don't know if there were any alerts, but today the Eastern Route's crossing on 2nd St in Everett was closed, with a detour over the very rough 3rd St crossing. I couldn't tell what they were doing, but local traffic only was allowed, and only right up to the crossing. Were they doing a crossing replacement?
  by Komarovsky

Just got another T alert about 15-20 minute delays between Westboro and Worcester for all trains.
  by NaDspr

Komarovsky wrote:Just got another T alert about 15-20 minute delays between Westboro and Worcester for all trains.
Surfacing gang working. 25 mph by the equipment. Working their way west.
  by MBTA1016

Here's one alert Ive never seen. Farnklin/FrgPrk 737 04:45 PM OB will board passengers on the outbound track from Endicott to Norwood Central 4/11/2012 5:04 PM. I have an idea why, around 4pm today I heard a loud train horn from the certainteed plant in Norwood. I know this was csx switching the plant.
  by Komarovsky

While it hasn't caused any serious delays yet, the new Worcester line schedule has the P532 departing Worcester 5 minutes before the arrival of the P523. Usually the P523 has to slow/stop before entering the Worcester Yard for 5-10 minutes to allow the P532 to pass or switch to the other track. Whoever came up with that bit of scheduling needs a smack on the back of the head.
  by AEM7AC920

Mbta fan wrote:Here's one alert Ive never seen. Farnklin/FrgPrk 737 04:45 PM OB will board passengers on the outbound track from Endicott to Norwood Central 4/11/2012 5:04 PM. I have an idea why, around 4pm today I heard a loud train horn from the certainteed plant in Norwood. I know this was csx switching the plant.
Hmm I haven't worked that train in over a year but from what I remember we use to run on both the inbound and outbound tracks at times. Surprised they actually started telling the people.
  by ck4049

Tonight my train(Mass Bay #426) was delayed about 50 Minutes due to a mechanical failure. Im not positive on the details yet but when I find out I will update.
  by Komarovsky

Worcester line is delayed 15 minutes because of csx speed restrictions due to the heat until 7pm
  by railfan1988

This afternoon, Train #124, the 2:00 PM departure from Rockport, was delayed by about 30 minutes, due to a switch problem somewhere on the Gloucester Branch. And Train #176, the 2:45 PM departure from Newburyport, was delayed by about 35 minutes, due to a fire emergency in Newbury. Apparently, the fire was right near Hay Street crossing. No other trains were delayed due to the fire, or to the switch problem.