• NJT to Flemington?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by TAMR213

First I've heard of this. Interesting, but I can't see NS ever going for it, its not like the West Trenton project has been going anywhere eaither... But then again I have no better idea then the next idiot :P
  by 25Hz

My late grandfather used to take the train from flemington to bicycle races way long ago. Would be brilliant if they had service again!
  by yoman82

I strongly support this proposal. I live in Whitehouse, and it doesn't seem as if the restoration of service would take too much effort, an active freight/ tourist line runs to Flemington, the Black River and Western, I think.
  by 25Hz

Also- WOW can you imagine rail service out of lambertville again?!? If they make it to flemington very little aside from track rehab stands in the way... That would be so amazing...
  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:Also- WOW can you imagine rail service out of lambertville again?!? If they make it to flemington very little aside from track rehab stands in the way... That would be so amazing...
Considering the political and economic environment we're in, I'd say there's a lot that stands in the way.
  by RWERN

I hate to say this, but despite the added expense, NJT should go by the ex-CNJ branch to Flemington, with stops Somerville-Flagtown/Hillsborough-Neshanic-Three Bridges-Flemington. The distinct advantage here is that you avoid mingling with NS entirely and the ROW is almost completely unobstructed. The biggest challenges are tying it in at Somerville and getting across US 202.

Of course, and I say this often, any service that extends or branches from the RVL will be severely limited unless the RVL sees some key infrastructure improvements.
  by OportRailfan

RWERN wrote:I hate to say this, but despite the added expense, NJT should go by the ex-CNJ branch to Flemington, with stops Somerville-Flagtown/Hillsborough-Neshanic-Three Bridges-Flemington. The distinct advantage here is that you avoid mingling with NS entirely and the ROW is almost completely unobstructed. The biggest challenges are tying it in at Somerville and getting across US 202.

Of course, and I say this often, any service that extends or branches from the RVL will be severely limited unless the RVL sees some key infrastructure improvements.
Isn't it single tracked from Raritan to High Bridge? (I haven't been out there in years)
  by R36 Combine Coach

OportRailfan wrote:
RWERN wrote:I hate to say this, but despite the added expense, NJT should go by the ex-CNJ branch to Flemington, with stops Somerville-Flagtown/Hillsborough-Neshanic-Three Bridges-Flemington. The distinct advantage here is that you avoid mingling with NS entirely and the ROW is almost completely unobstructed. The biggest challenges are tying it in at Somerville and getting across US 202.

Isn't it single tracked from Raritan to High Bridge? (I haven't been out there in years)
Yes, west of the Raritan Yard.

But the simplest form of mass rail transit to Flemington is to have BR&W run a RDC shuttle (or fire up Doodlebug 4666) between Liberty Village and Somerville. No new track or equipment upgrades need, and run 4-8 shuttle round trips a day. (Remember Trans-Bridge already serves Liberty Village)
  by Sid Farkus

Didn't NJT run a train to Flemington in the '80s on some sort of excursion? I know I have a picture of a F40 at Liberty Village.
  by R36 Combine Coach

That was a 1989 charter.
  by 25Hz

morris&essex4ever wrote:
25Hz wrote:Also- WOW can you imagine rail service out of lambertville again?!? If they make it to flemington very little aside from track rehab stands in the way... That would be so amazing...
Considering the political and economic environment we're in, I'd say there's a lot that stands in the way.
As someone who spent considerable time in hunterdon county growing up, i feel such a service would be appreciated by locals.
  by Jtgshu

R36 Combine Coach wrote: But the simplest form of mass rail transit to Flemington is to have BR&W run a RDC shuttle (or fire up Doodlebug 4666) between Liberty Village and Somerville. No new track or equipment upgrades need, and run 4-8 shuttle round trips a day. (Remember Trans-Bridge already serves Liberty Village)
No new track needed?

As far as I can tell, there sure looks like houses built on the ROW in Neshanic, and wasn't the bridge in Neshanic the reason the CNJ stopped using the line towards Somerville? I don't believe there is even any track in place east of Neshanic as well as several bridges taken out, i know the one over River Road ? in Neshanic is gone, but i think thats sitting on the ROW, and i believe the bridge in Dukes estate is also removed.

The route from Somerville would be the best, but there are a LOT of issues to deal with inbetween Somerville and Three Bridges. However, it does look like NJT was smart when rebuilding Somerville station as they left the tunnel in under where the tracks used to run, so it wouldn't be real hard to build an additional platform there for the Flemington Branch, so thats a positive!
  by R36 Combine Coach

I assumed no new construction assuming the BR&W used its connection to the Lehigh Valley line and ran to Bound Brook or Bridgewater.
  by Jtgshu

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I assumed no new construction assuming the BR&W used its connection to the Lehigh Valley line and ran to Bound Brook or Bridgewater.
Ohhh well thats different - and wouldn't go to Somerville then :)

Before we get too excited about any of this, remember one of the big stumbling blocks with West Trenton restoration is what to do at Port Reading Junction. Sure, going west on the Lehigh Line towards BRW would be easier than crossing over and going down CSX's West Trenton Line, but i wouldn't expect either NS or CSX to be too thrilled with any of these ideas....