• Owego & Harford in SAYRE - Lehigh Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by johnpbarlow

Re: O&H in Owego, I passed by last Sunday 12/18/11 and saw lots of covered hoppers in the yard stretching across Owego Creek toward Goodrich Settlement. Are these cars full of fracking sand or in storage or other? Is sand unloaded in Owego for trucking over the border to Pennsylvania (I think NYS is still hemming and hawing re: fracking).
  by Matt Langworthy

thannon wrote:Running regularly daily by the looks of it; usually into Sayre in the mid-afternoon.
Thanks for the update! :)
  by K4Pacific

Wait until you see what's coming for Sayre Yard!
  by thannon

Just to note that the mid-afternoon runs now seem more late mornings.
  by K4Pacific

Du to track work between Elmira and Waverly, H12 (Sayre turn from Elmira) hasn't left Elmira this week until 1500 after 38T goes through.
  by Matt Langworthy

What is the estimated date for completion of the track work on the Tier? I have a vacation day coming up and I'm trying to decide whether Sayre or Wellsboro is a better destination.
  by K4Pacific

Finished Wednesday. Work Train Crews abolished. Back to your regularly scheduled entertrainment .
  by sayreyard

Does the owego and harford and lehigh railway have a ett and do they operate under norac rules
  by Matt Langworthy

K4Pacific wrote:Finished Wednesday. Work Train Crews abolished. Back to your regularly scheduled entertrainment .
Excellent news! Thank you!
  by gearken

Hi Group, On Sunday ( 2/26/12) I plan to railfan the Lehigh Railway and I would like to update the information I have on train operations. Can anyone could help?
According to the July 2011 issue of RAILPACE, on Sundays a crew goes on duty at 8am at Mehoopany PA and heads north to Towanda (leaving some locos in Wyalusing to be used in switching the sand transload site). The train gets a new crew at Towanda (around noon) and then it makes a round trip to Sayre. The Mehoopany crew is taxied back to Wyalusing, and when switching is finished, they run the light power back to Mehoopany. Is this still accurate? Could someone please tell me if anything has changed?
Also, would the Reading & Northern have any trains around Mehoopany on a Sunday Morning?
Would Norfolk Southern have any trains up at Sayre?
Thanks for any info, it's very much appreciated.
Ken Gear
  by K4Pacific

Ken, no H12 runs out of Elmira to Sayre on Sunday. Today's H12 was huge and two golden oldie SD40-3s.
  by thannon

You might find an outlawed or parked local in Sayre, but NS seems much more efficient lately - odds are the yard will be empty or only have cars for interchange. More often than not on Sundays the LRWY will bring cars up during the late morning to mid-afternoon and just make a drop to run light back to Towanda and on since NS doesn't have anything waiting for them.
  by gearken

Hi Guys, Thanks for the NS information. Can anyone give me any help with the Lehigh Rwy. question posted above?
Thanks!
Ken Gear