Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

by 25Hz

It's a CGI overlay. In "sky captain and the wold of tomorrow" you see a GG1 on an elevated rail line in manhattan. Obviously this never took place.

Lot of ads now days use CGI or some other form of animation mixed with live action. Most of them aren't very good, this one in my personal opinion isn't very good either, but it is interesting that they'd kitbash a locomotive and a cab car like that for an automobile ad...
  by Gilbert B Norman

I have now learned that Metrolink has equipment of the design and livery shown:

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_15011142

So far as I'm concerned, the inquiry is off topic. Moderators, please handle accordingly.
  by MEC407

25Hz wrote:It's a CGI overlay. . . . this one in my personal opinion isn't very good either, but it is interesting that they'd kitbash a locomotive and a cab car like that for an automobile ad...
It's a Metrolink Hyundai-Rotem cab car. Those actually exist. Are you sure that was CGI? Looked pretty real to me.
  by kmillard

I think is was a Hyundai Rotem cab control car as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Tadman

I think that was real, too. It looked like SoCal and certainly was a real piece of equipment. You can see the east coast bias of this board, those strange-looking cab cars have been at LA Metrolink for a year or two now. They don't get much press here.

I'll pack this thread off to the California forum and leave a shadow in place. Thanks for sharing.
  by MEC407

I happen to think they're really neat looking, and I hope they make their way to the east coast commuter agencies soon.
  by electricron

MEC407 wrote:I happen to think they're really neat looking, and I hope they make their way to the east coast commuter agencies soon.
Isn't TriRail serving Southern Florida considered to be on the east coast?
These Rotem cab cars are in service there already.
  by MEC407

Yes, sorry, I forgot about Tri-Rail.
  by Backshophoss

The shot was done somewhere on Metrolink's Valley sub to Lancaster,possibly Soledad Pass area .