• Possible Intermodal Terminal for Binghamton!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by conrailsharedassets

Hi Everyone,

New York States most recent transportation funding Bill includes 40 million of funding to expand the Syracuse Intermodal Terminal, expand the Port of Albany container operations and to Construct a NEW intermodal terminal in Binghamton, NY.

My assumption is this is likely efforts that deal with the expansion of the Panama Canal and PANYNJ expansion to increase Intermodal capacity and oppurtunity across NYS.

Looking at the layout of things around Binghamton, my guess is the only feaseable place to build an Intermodal Terminal of any significant size would be on the old D&H Bevier Street Yard complex. With NS taking over 90% of the trackage through Binghamton (including Bevier Street) and shuffling operations around a bit, that space could easily be available for such development. There is excellent rail access with routes to the North,South, East and West all easily reached, as well as excellent road access with 3 major highways passing right by the area.

We shall see what the near future brings, but i figured it was worth mentioning!

Jim Cerulli
  by Flat-Wheeler

Lol. Today happens to be April Fool's day... jus' sayin. :P
  by conrailsharedassets

This has absolutely nothing to do with April Fool's Day. I don't take part in that mess...

This information is right from NYS DOT and the funding is already budgeted and secured for various Intermodal projects all over the state, including a new terminal that is planned in Binghamton, NY.

Jim Cerulli
  by Matt Langworthy

Can we see a link, Jim?
  by conrailsharedassets

Thank you for posting the link! You beat me to it!

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes down. Besides being an inland port type of operation with traffic out of PANYNJ, it could also be utilized for block swapping purposes as well for Intermodals Moving East/West and North/South. I think its a good move overall.

Jim Cerulli
  by johnpbarlow

Excerpt from 2015-16 NYS Budget agreement:
•$40 million for the Port of Oswego to link with the Port of New York and create additional intermodal rail yards in Syracuse and Binghamton. Such improvements will reduce truck traffic on downstate highways, increase existing export activity, build small and medium sized enterprise export capacity in upstate, and expand efforts of regional service providers.
Isn't this what NYO&W used to provide, except for the Syracuse part (where CSX already has a sizeable intermodal yard) and the Binghamton part?

http://1898revenues.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ilway.html

It's hard for me to understand how Oswego plays a role in intermodal shipping. IIRC, there was public $ invested a few years back to rehab Port of Oswego yard tracks for handling cement coming off lake shipping (?)
  by ccutler

Yes, service to Oswego is what NYO&W provided, no doubt that's part of the reason they went bankrupt. But maybe they are contemplating some sort of train-to-barge-on-the-Great-Lakes container service? I can see the merits of better transport from PANYNJ to upstate, but not sure how much benefit there is to adding several terminals [rather than just on in Binghamton and improving in Syracuse] when they are kind of close together.
  by Matt Langworthy

SecaucusJunction wrote:Via a google search...

http://news10.com/2015/03/31/highlights ... agreement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you! Adding intermodal yard to Binghamton makes sense give the D&H acquisition and the new bridge at Letchworth. My only concern regarding east-west traffic generated by the new intermodal yard is at CP Draw. That part of Buffalo tends to be a bottleneck (based on my visits to Tifft Street of late). I hope it is addressed, preferrably by using or replacing the NKP bridge.
  by lvrr325

Remember, adding the former D&H expands NS's I-81 corridor routing, up from Knoxville. A terminal there makes sense.

I actually think there's more room to put it on the south side of Conklin yard, and move some of the switching done there into Bevier St. Plus, no I-81/I-86/NY-17 overpass to contend with. But I guess we'll see what they do when they do it.

I've no idea what they think they can do with Oswego, but I wish them luck.