• Portland Waterfront Rail Ops (Yard 8, Intermodal, etc)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by bostontrainguy

Whatever happened to all that talk about Torrefied wood? I believe there is a market in Europe for it.
  by BandA

newpylong wrote:...The obvious question is - why is an owner who is already so wealthy keeping something that contributes very little to their bottom line, especially if they are not willing to run it like a real railroad? There are scores of similar size operations throughout the country that are run smoother, have a better physical plant, and are financially viable. They saw their bread and butter traffic of the past 100 years drying up ahead of the implosion and were able to adapt and grow new traffic. ...
My guess is estate planning. Isn't Mr Mellon rather elderly? If he sold PAR he'd have to pay capital gains tax (presumably), then turn around within a few years and his heirs would have to pay inheritance tax. Better to pay just one tax?
  by b&m 1566

30% voter turn out!!! That tells me the rest of the voters didn't give a rats *** one way or the other.
  by MEC407

That's extremely high for a local election in an off-year, and phenomenally high for a special election taking place on a day other than the official Election Day in November. Fryeburg should be proud of having such a high turnout. There are many cities and towns around the country that don't reach 30% voter turnout even during big elections.
  by gokeefe

b&m 1566 wrote:30% voter turn out!!! That tells me the rest of the voters didn't give a rats *** one way or the other.
The article as written actually spent quite a few paragraphs addressing exactly this issue. They were able to conclusively prove in my eyes at least that the interest from voters was unusually high for a special election.
  by Hux

Nestle's tapping aquifers in Ontario and Quebec raised quite a fuss with locals and generated a lot of negative press. Probably a safe bet that the Fryeburgites became well aware of the sentiments of our northern neighbors and were stirred into action.
  by MEC407

Maine had a very severe drought this summer. We had one last summer, too. Lots of homeowners with private wells have had to have new wells drilled, or have had to spend big bucks on bottled water. That's just one of several compelling reasons why the folks in Fryeburg might've voted against the proposal.