• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by railwatcher

K4 and group,
Now that WNYP is proposing closing the Hornell Interchange this alone will kill the reroutes over the WNYP and any future through traffic East/West. Should there be another bridge failure as in the past, the bypass though Olean will be gone.
  by scottychaos

railwatcher wrote:K4 and group,
Now that WNYP is proposing closing the Hornell Interchange this alone will kill the reroutes over the WNYP and any future through traffic East/West. Should there be another bridge failure as in the past, the bypass though Olean will be gone.
well, just because WNYP is dropping the Hornell Interchange, that doesn't mean future bypass access will cease to exist..
I don't think there have been any rumblings about formally abandoning the line and tearing up the tracks..(have there? if so, I haven't heard)
So the fact that WNYP wont be interchanging at Hornell is irrelevant to the route as a possible bypass, for now, for the short term..

Scot
  by railwatcher

If the tracks from Cuba to Hornell go out of service, who will assure there condition should an immediate need arise? They are not foolish enough to spend dollars to maintain an unused line. Funny thing is they haven't pulled much revenue off of the Machias to Olean branch yet it was chosen to keep open.
  by K4Pacific

The potential release of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) should be released this week or early next week.
  by K4Pacific

Hi Jim,

As usual I have the wrong position in life. My sig has 38 days off available to her and my friend at NYSDOT on the project has a full two weeks 20 - 9/4. So I have no official what next. However, he said construction may begin sometime in the later part of 2013. And so it goes - an integral part of rail infrastructure system progresses s-l-o-w-l-y.
  by K4Pacific

I just got confirmed that the DEIS will be released after Labor Day. A Public Hearing on those recommendations will be scheduled near the Portageville community (Canisteo?). Construction is still slated for late 2013. No detours are expected. NS has it's 50% ready to go now.
  by scottychaos

K4Pacific wrote:I just got confirmed that the DEIS will be released after Labor Day. A Public Hearing on those recommendations will be scheduled near the Portageville community (Canisteo?). Construction is still slated for late 2013. No detours are expected. NS has it's 50% ready to go now.
Canisteo is quite a long way away..(36 miles)
the closest town to the Portageville bridge is..Portageville! ;)

although Portageville is very small..
the nearest towns of decent size, that might have facilities for such a meeting would be Mount Morris or Dansville..
each less than 20 miles away..

although they could probably arrange it in Portageville if they wanted to make it *really* local..
there must be some kind of town hall or similar public building nearby..
Houghton College would also make sense..13 miles to the south.

Scot
  by sd80mac

scottychaos wrote:
K4Pacific wrote:I just got confirmed that the DEIS will be released after Labor Day. A Public Hearing on those recommendations will be scheduled near the Portageville community (Canisteo?). Construction is still slated for late 2013. No detours are expected. NS has it's 50% ready to go now.
Canisteo is quite a long way away..(36 miles)
the closest town to the Portageville bridge is..Portageville! ;)

although Portageville is very small..
the nearest towns of decent size, that might have facilities for such a meeting would be Mount Morris or Dansville..
each less than 20 miles away..

although they could probably arrange it in Portageville if they wanted to make it *really* local..
there must be some kind of town hall or similar public building nearby..
Houghton College would also make sense..13 miles to the south.
Wouldnt Nunda school able to handle the crowd in meeting? or Letchworth school, which is pretty large school to me. These 2 places are closer...
  by K4Pacific

Why not Letchworth Park? Public Hearing BBQ and Dance. Mac and Potato Salad. Steaks. Burgers. Dogs. MMMMMnnnnn.
  by sd80mac

K4Pacific wrote:Why not Letchworth Park? Public Hearing BBQ and Dance. Mac and Potato Salad. Steaks. Burgers. Dogs. MMMMMnnnnn.
second to that!!!