Where are your railroads of Interests?

North Jersey
55%
South Jersey
11%
Both
34%
  by David

OK--Let's see if we can put some fire into this forum---POLL TIME---Who do we have participating in the New Jersey Railfan Forum?------Also, leave a comment after voting to let us know your main railroad(s) of interest in your chosen area. Perhaps several can pool their information and group together with similar interests---Have Fun!---Thanks

Any other suggestions for polls?--E-mail me.

by David

Grew up in South Jersey so I used to favor South Jersey railroads, however on a camping trip to Stokes State Forest in Branchville North Jersey in Sussex County I came across the Lackawanna Cutoff in 1982. This "discovery" whetted my appetite to research the northern parts of the state. The Northern Railroads of interest on my list are:

1.) Delaware Lackawanna & Western Railroad
2.) Lehigh & Hudson River Railway
3.) Lehigh & New England Railroad
4.) New York Susquehanna & Western Railroad

The Southern Railroads of interest on my list are:

1.) Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines
2.) Central Railroad of New Jersey (North & South)

Of course, the new names too i.e Cape May Seashore Lines and New Jersey Transit etc.

by JJMDiMunno

Most of you could probably already tell the group where my interests lie, but I'll play along here anyway :)

Railroads of interest: Anything South Jersey related. Conrail (the chopped up remnants of it that are still in existance here in SJ), SRNJ, CMSL, Transit (even though they don't like me very much), W&W, and SMS. My favorite historical, fallen flag railroad is now and always will be the PRSL...and particularly, if you want to get down to a specific railroad line, my favorite line to research and even to photograph today is the Grenloch Branch.

I was exposed for the first time this summer to North Jersey stuff, and did enjoy my time up there, but my interests still primarily lie here in SJ...

Take care guys.

Mike DiMunno

by TAMR213

You should probably include central Jersey in that as well, so I'll just put both.

by OCtrainguy

I would agree with the central part of the state aspect, but given the two choices, I vote for both.

My favorite railroad is the CNJ, particularly their Southern Division Main Line, the NY&LB, and I'm learning more about their Central Division Main Line (Jersey City to Scranton). Gotta include the PRR on the NY&LB as well. I also enjoy the PRSL.

Currently, my favorite line is the Southern Secondary. I lost track of how many Saturday mornings I'd be out photographing the SA35. Unfortunately, the SA35 was abolished, and the SA31 works the line, but not on Saturdays. So I have spent a good deal of my Saturday mornings photographing the Shared Assets Lehigh Line.

Whenever I am in south Jersey, I do try to get photos of the SRNJ and have unsuccessfully tried to photograph a few coal trains. I stood out in the rain at Winslow back in April for the Circus Train interchange between CSX and the SRNJ.

by njt4172

Dave,

I actually have an interest in BOTH North Jersey and South Jersey railroading. I just dont have as much knowledge on the scheduling of the freight trains down there...I also need more pictures of trains in the southern portion of the state.

Steve

by Tom_E_Reynolds

I also have to add Central Jersey as an option.

My favorites include the long gone Raritan River Rail Road, and the current BRW in Lambertville-Flemmington-Ringos areas.

My all time "spent the most time researching" after finding it on only one map I had from 1878 was the old Somerset and Mercer. (or is it M&S? Its been a while)

The old PRR Bev-Del branch that ran along the Delaware River next to RT 29 has always been my most traveled scenic route.

-Tom

by Irish Chieftain

Hey...couldn't get from north to south and vice-versa with no rails, time was. It's all the same T-rail to me; and it ought to be a matter of pride that the C&A, itself a north-south as well as an east-west NJ railroad, was the first on the planet to use them...

by NJ Vike

David wrote:Grew up in South Jersey so I used to favor South Jersey railroads, however on a camping trip to Stokes State Forest in Branchville North Jersey in Sussex County I came across the Lackawanna Cutoff in 1982. This "discovery" whetted my appetite to research the northern parts of the state. The Northern Railroads of interest on my list are:

1.) Delaware Lackawanna & Western Railroad
2.) Lehigh & Hudson River Railway
3.) Lehigh & New England Railroad
4.) New York Susquehanna & Western Railroad

The Southern Railroads of interest on my list are:

1.) Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines
2.) Central Railroad of New Jersey (North & South)

Of course, the new names too i.e Cape May Seashore Lines and New Jersey Transit etc.
David,

I have live in Northern NJ all my life so the ones you selected are my favorites. However, the mystery of the Pines with the CNJ/Conrail and the PRSL makes South Jersey trains a tie.

Ken

p.s. I do have many pics to share of the abandoned trails throughout the state if you're interested. Just let me know

by JLo

You guys are all wrong. There is a third region, the Jersey Shore. Trains rocking to and fro across rickety draw bridges with rotted, wooden pilings while bays, rivers and streams ebb and flow beneath them. All we are left with are the remains of such ROWS disappearing into the scrub and sand. Now that is a legacy.

by BigDell

Do they have trains in South Jersey?

YES I'M JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!! OY! :-D

CNJ fan, all the way. But I like EVERYTHING that runs - or has ever run - through this state, from top to bottom.
BigDell

by njt4172

JLo wrote:You guys are all wrong. There is a third region, the Jersey Shore. Trains rocking to and fro across rickety draw bridges with rotted, wooden pilings while bays, rivers and streams ebb and flow beneath them. All we are left with are the remains of such ROWS disappearing into the scrub and sand. Now that is a legacy.
JLo,

You almost make it sound like you would like to experience taking a plunge into the Barneget Bay after tracks below you give way......You have a death wish???

Steve

by JLo

Nah, but I did almost meet my maker as a kid in Barnegat Bay in a boating accident. I'm sure you will be shocked to learn that the Rt 37 bridge doesn't really move when you hit with an 18-foot fiberglass boat. :-D

One of my favorite past times was to walk along the Manasquan Inlet during nor'easters. Often times, I would make my way to the NJCL bridge and watch it shake as it was being pounded by tidal surges. I am still shocked that it remains upright.

by SteelWheels21

I'm a NJ expatriate, recently relocated to..sigh...Portland, Oregon. However whatever homesickness I may have is tempered by the fact that I get to pursue my dream as a conductor trainee with Union Pacific. I love anything Rail-Wise in NJ, but being a South Jersey resident for a long time, I'll chose all the old PRSL lines, plus any modern-day stuff that survives. I'm also a big fan of Mike DiMunno's website, though I'm curious about why NJT doesn't like him.

Anyone that is curious about what goes into the making of a railroad man, feel free to drop a line in my PM box.

Stay safe,
SteelWheels

by trainfreak

Im into Northern NJ stuff just because ive grown up and lived in the northern most section of the state my whole life.