Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Literalman

I rode Metro-North to Poughkeepsie and back on Monday. My ticket says, "Pokipse." Where did that come from? Do M-N tickets not have enough room for the actual name? I searched this forum and didn't see the answer, and a Google search turned up mostly a book called Train to Pokipse, and I'd bet that the author got the spelling from an M-N ticket.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Re-titled
  by runningwithscalpels

Pretty sure it's a space constraint. Naugatuck shows up as Nagatck on the tickets I buy.
  by pumpers

Yes, but you can get from Naugatuck to Nagatck by just taking out letters to shorten it, but to get to Pokipse you have to rearrange them. JS
  by runningwithscalpels

But does anyone else have a better answer? ;)
  by RearOfSignal

The station names are phonetic abbreviations of the actual names. Nothing more.
  by Tommy Meehan

Back in the early days of Metro-North when I was still commuting on the Harlem Line I knew an A/C who had his own phonetic versions of many of the station names. None of which are repeatable here. He used to mutter them as he strode up the aisle and on one trip I caught on. None of the other passengers seemed to. As he passed my seat, I said very seriously, "Oh conductor, what stop did you say this is?" He laughed. He was a nice guy though, with a great sense of humor.
  by glennk419

At my job, we just used to call it "POK".
  by mainetrain

New Brufus