Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Train2009

I just got home from Railfanning at the Mamaroneck Station this evening I saw Amtrak Trains and alots of Metro North Trains going thru the station. I took pictures and videos of one of the trains both on the CT bound and NY Bound Platforms. BTW I saw train raceing like when a Northbound Acela Express bound for Boston went by first and then Metro North Train from GCT second and then later I saw a other race two southbound trains going thru the station.
  by Travelsonic

Otto Vondrak wrote:Mamaroneck has a nice straightaway, so you can see trains coming from a long ways off.
Indeed, I've been railfanning there for the last 2 + weeks, and enjoy this particular quality. How far southwest can you actually see down the tracks out of curiosity?
  by Jeff Smith

This is what I was getting at about Mamaroneck in one of my other posts (Meadowlands service) before I was smacked down by the "experts" with "it's not level!" and "it's not straight!"!

Yes, it's a great station; I grew up in Mamaroneck and always enjoyed watching the trains there, especially when it was low-level platforms. I would imagine you could probably see as far as the Rockland Av bridge, the nearest obstruction (overpass), maybe with a good set of binoculars. As the crow flies that's less than a mile.
  by RDL 879

Sarge wrote:This is what I was getting at about Mamaroneck in one of my other posts (Meadowlands service) before I was smacked down by the "experts" with "it's not level!" and "it's not straight!"!

Who cares what the "experts" say ? :-D Back in 1979 Mamaroneck was where I saw a GG-1 for the first time and where I made it a point to be on time for the Danbury thru trains with their FL-9s and wretched 8600 series ex New Haven cars (some marked for Penn Central, others still for the New Haven!) Not to mention the E-60s, which I saw as modern versions of the New Haven's great electrics....And it was exciting to be able to see the trains approach from a distance, however you want to describe the profile of the main.
  by Travelsonic

Sarge wrote:. I would imagine you could probably see as far as the Rockland Av bridge, the nearest obstruction (overpass), maybe with a good set of binoculars. As the crow flies that's less than a mile.
Rockland Av. is the overpass right by the Mamaroneck Freight lead, right?

I swear I can see just a little bit further than that on a good day, but maybe I am mistaken.
  by Jeff Smith

Well, I usually like what the experts have to say, although there is the occasional hair-splitting (OMG! There's a 1 degree up-slope! That's not level!) when the point was that it was "relatively" straight and level. But I appreciate what they have to say, and my comments are just meant as good-natured ribbing.

Interesting story about the E-60s, FL-9s and 8600s. Were those the green or black heavyweights? I think I've seen them in some of the DVD's I've picked up.

Back on topic: Rockland is by the Marval freight lead. You may well be able to see past that based on the afore-mentioned and in-exact 1 degree up-slope towards Larchmont. I seem to recall that there was a gentle climb from Mam'k to L'Mont. I'm sure someone will correct me on the slope, of course! :wink:
  by RDL 879

Sarge wrote:Interesting story about the E-60s, FL-9s and 8600s. Were those the green or black heavyweights? I think I've seen them in some of the DVD's I've picked up.
These were ex-New Haven cars, purchased I believe in 1948, with fluted sides, built by Pullman, and when I saw them, they were in quite decrepit conditon. They had a dark green window band applied by Penn Central (it was originally orange.)

One day, when I move into the 21 century, I'll scan my slides of this era, and share some here...
  by Travelsonic

Speaking of Mamaroneck railfanning, I was there the other day when an Acela flew by on track 4. Nothing out of the ordinary I think - but when each end passed by, I heard a loud bang, and saw the canopy over the platform shaking a bit, which lead me to believe that something on the locomotive ends of the train was hitting the canopy, but I could be wrong. Could somebody please give me some possibilities as to what I observed?
  by Train2009

This Evening I was at the Mamaroneck Station for a little bit I saw three Amtrak Trains and alots of Metro North Trains from Mus and Diesel Trains. Amtrak Northeast Regional Train #94 from Newport News, VA give two sounds of the horns one it was to warn it was coming thru and the second horn it was to me!!! While I was there I saw many train raceing north and south. And a guy came up to me to ask when is the next train for New Haven CT and I told him no trains stop here for
New Haven and he had to go to stamford, CT for service to New Haven and then he asked me when is the next train to
Stamford and Itold him 7:24 PM (From GCT). So the guy had to wait for a hour for service to Stamford and I also told me many trains yes and no stop here in Mamaroneck.

I have a question:
Today's 6:29 PM Train to Harrison had a Diesel set and the last time I was there it was a mu set
and my question does one day have diesel set and the other day Mus?