• Platinum Service on The Ghan

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by PClark

In an effort to attract top-end tourists (no pun intended!) Great Southern Railway will introduce Platinum Service on the weekly Adelaide-Darwin Ghan from September 10.

Each Platinum service car will have only four cabins and up to 24 cabins will be offered on each service.

The cabins will have ensuite bathrooms with "full-sized" showers and seats that convert either to a double bed or two singles, both at lower level.

Apparently, the cars have been converted from economy ("Red Kangaroo") class sleepers that had 16 two berth compartments very similar to Amtrak Viewliner or Superliner roomettes that have not proved popular on what is essentially a "cruise" train.

Fares, including meals, are a pretty daunting $A2,975.00 (approx $US3,100) for the 52-54 hour journey.

by David Benton

Personally i would mourn the passing of roometees , or any cheaper accomadation . however , i guess most budget travellers are either flying or on the bus .

I think you may have your currencies around the wrong way , at least we still get more australian dollars than american dollars for our lowly dollar . for how much longer im not so sure .

by PClark

"Roomette" in Australia means a single berth, one seat, first class cabin similar to a traditional or "Heritage" American car but with a zig-zag central passageway to give more room to use the "facilities" when the berth is down. The slightly larger (16 cabins versus 18) economy version with two facing seats and upper and lower berths is known as an "economy bedroom."

This used to be the case in America but I understand that the term "roomette" is now used for the smaller cabins on Superliners and Viewliners (Heritage sleepers no longer being used)

Unlike in America, Australian trains do not sell the two berth economy cabins at a premium "sole use" rate for single travellers. (If you are travelling alone you may have to share with a same-sex stranger which might or might not be amusing) They were built as separate cars because first and economy class passengers have separate lounge and dining facilities so a "mixed class" car would be inappropriate.

Both first and economy "roomettes" are still available on the Ghan.

You are right, I did mix up the currency values (sorry) Current cost in $US would be about 2,825.

by David Benton

well , i geuss they would be silly to not tap the demand that is there . Do you know how freight traffic is going on the line ? is their a daily frieght train ? .