• Pinelawn Trash Transfer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by mikey cruz

The west wye track RXR has been repaved within the last few years and there's a sign on Coastal's fence that says it's an active railroad crossing and not to block.
  by freightguy

They used to put empty C&D cars on the west leg, I believe to block the wind from all the dust around the structure.

The new stone costumer should have a few tracks within the facility. They're multiple switch stands waiting to be cut in once the actual track work begins. I'm assuming Picone(stone) will be serviced by the RS 80. With new stone costumer, Coastal, and Marjam that should keep them busy in the Farmingdale area. Not a single costumer left in the Price Industrial park, atleast some rail freight is returning to the area. Not to veer off course, but I beleive at one point PC Richards wanted to receive Plate F boxcars of appliances down there in Price.
  by tj48

Teutobergerwald wrote:So that west leg of the wye still exists? If so, is it usable if needed ?

The tracks were there just pretty much buried in dirt. The excavating/leveling they are doing has removed the track, ties and roadbed (what ever was left of it) of the west leg of the wye.
  by Sir Ray

freightguy wrote:Not a single costumer left in the Price Industrial park, at least some freight is returning to the area.
When did Strober Price move (from Price to a few blocks south of Conklin) - mid-90s? AFAIK they were the last customer in that park, always had a Boxcar at the concrete loading dock (the site became some sort of fashion discount outlet I think). Did Levitz (now the site of Lowes) ever take any rail freight deliveries? Actually that area at one point in the 1990s was almost all Furniture discount outlets (plus PC Richards, and maybe a graphic arts/display outlet?), not sure how many discounters still exist there.
Also, any else remember the 3 covered hoppers parked outside the gate to PC Richards, for what seemed like ages? What was the story with them?
  by freightguy

There was a bunch of them. My dad remembers Soo Line boxcars being on spot in there in early 90's. Sears warehouse was across from his building. They would take boxcars on 2 tracks with the doors lined up evenly to the loading dock(early 80s). I had an LIRR freight map with all the buildings and costumers in there probably from late 70's or early 80s from the PW trailer. I can't find what I did with it. Wagner Feeds and Gallo Wine was somewhere back in Price also. A retired LIRR freight conductor said it was a giant loop and in its heyday they would be back there all day.

Honestly with different industries in todays age it would be nice to see Calverton turn into something like that with 3x the land to expand on. The western frontier is all developed. Maybe a costumer or transload could go in near former Cerro Wire in Hicksville/Syosset.
  by emfinite

Went by PW other night and the west leg of the wye from New Highway up to the switch is completely removed. It still exists in the pavement but the rest is gone. Looks like they will cut in new switches from PW long siding to the wye and then from the wye to the new siding. Should be interesting when it's all done.
  by mikey cruz

If you look at Google maps of the PC richards area you can still see the outline of the loop because alot of track is still there. sad that whole park is all truck now. what is the deal with plate "F" cars on LIRR? I know weight is one issue but is it that much of an issue?
  by hrfcarl

mikey cruz wrote:If you look at Google maps of the PC richards area you can still see the outline of the loop because alot of track is still there. sad that whole park is all truck now. what is the deal with plate "F" cars on LIRR? I know weight is one issue but is it that much of an issue?
Think time is the bigger issue: Even thought rail cars can carry 3x the load of trucks, right now trucking is faster than current float or hell gate rail routes. With PA NY/NJ ownership of float operation and rail investments on both sides of harbor, maybe a chance for change in future? Any chance PA NY/NJ could get freight rights to LIRR tackage when NY&A lease up? Very least ownership of/rights to Bay Ridge branch for Fresh Pond access (direct connect with CSX & PW without using NY&A)?
  by Sir Ray

mikey cruz wrote:If you look at Google maps of the PC richards area you can still see the outline of the loop because alot of track is still there. sad that whole park is all truck now. what is the deal with plate "F" cars on LIRR? I know weight is one issue but is it that much of an issue?
Well, Price Parkway has been pretty much all trucks as long as I can remember, but looking at the Bird's eye view, there isn't all that much freight traffic to begin with nowaday - Lowes, OK, but that's a retail outlet and not a distribution center, P.C. Richards (former White Rose I think), a few other furniture outlets and clearance centers - not much really that can use rail-freight.
The loop actually continued a little north to Glove Circle, where it split, one branch turned West to several businesses along Glove Circle, and a branch straight north, looks like it ran to Daniel St., serving several businesses along the route - particuarly cool was a covered loading dock (still visible) right north of Glove. I mention this because IIRC where the Sleepy's is on the corner of Glove & 110 was a Roy Rogers, where every once in a while I used to have lunch and then walk around the area doing "ex-post facto" Railfanning, and I thought this was pretty cool.
Heh, historic aerials show the Price Parkway section as a sand pit of some sort in 1966, with the northern section of the loop trackage serving the Glove Circle businesses.
By 1980, looks like the major buildings (including White Rose & Levitts) were in place, although rail freight traffic doesn't seem overwhelming (the image is a bit cloudly)
  by jayrmli

>If you look at Google maps of the PC richards area you can still see the outline of the loop because alot of track is still there. sad that whole park is all truck now. what is the deal with plate "F" cars on LIRR? I know weight is one issue but is it that much of an issue?

Plate F cars with a maximum height of 17 feet can be moved on the Main Line as far as Brookhaven Rail Terminal in Yaphank. You used to need special clearance on each car of this type, although there may be a blanket clearance for these cars now. Not sure if that is the case.
  by railfan365

Sir Ray wrote:
Well, Price Parkway has been pretty much all trucks as long as I can remember, but looking at the Bird's eye view, there isn't all that much freight traffic to begin with nowaday - Lowes, OK, but that's a retail outlet and not a distribution center, P.C. Richards (former White Rose I think), a few other furniture outlets and clearance centers - not much really that can use rail-freight.
The loop actually continued a little north to Glove Circle, where it split, one branch turned West to several businesses along Glove Circle, and a branch straight north, looks like it ran to Daniel St., serving several businesses along the route - particuarly cool was a covered loading dock (still visible) right north of Glove. I mention this because IIRC where the Sleepy's is on the corner of Glove & 110 was a Roy Rogers, where every once in a while I used to have lunch and then walk around the area doing "ex-post facto" Railfanning, and I thought this was pretty cool.
Heh, historic aerials show the Price Parkway section as a sand pit of some sort in 1966, with the northern section of the loop trackage serving the Glove Circle businesses.
By 1980, looks like the major buildings (including White Rose & Levitts) were in place, although rail freight traffic doesn't seem overwhelming (the image is a bit cloudly)
It seems to me that being a retailer is not the determinative factor in whether merchandise is received b truck or train. These large places receive so much in that they can take it by carload. The question is whether they will choose to do so.
  by tahawus84

While some retailers do recive a lot of product they also recieve it from multiple suppliers
which does not always make rail a good choice for shipping. Also a reciever may have rail access but the shipper might not
  by Sir Ray

railfan365 wrote:It seems to me that being a retailer is not the determinative factor in whether merchandise is received b truck or train. These large places receive so much in that they can take it by carload. The question is whether they will choose to do so.
I'd say it is a big determinator. Look in a Home Depot or Lowes retail center - yes, they have racks of 4x8ft plywood and pallets of concrete blocks, but from the ones I've been in, all the material of any given type fully stocked would readily fit in, I guess, 1/2 a shipping container or a 1/3 of a 53ft dry van - to say nothing of a 72ft centerbeam. And unlike real Lumber Yards or Concrete Plants which do sell a lot of bulk to contractors, that stuff usually goes out in drips and drabs, a few sheets here, two dozen blocks there, so restocking of any given item may be done over the course of a week or more (under normal circumstances - if a big hurricane approaches then all bet are off on the 4x8 thin plywood sheets, let alone the D-cell batteries).
Here's something else to consider - here is a Google view of the Home Depot distribution center in Montgomery, NY (a little north of Campbell Hall Junction). It is located next to what Google & Bing both show as an active branch (two customers further up the line have freight cars on their sidings). This center services, maybe a dozen stores (the HD web site says there are 70+ distros for the 2000 retail outlets in North America - exact ratio and density per distro probably varies by region); it CAN make use of the bulk quantities needed to make efficent use of rail service, an active line is 20metres to the East, and by some rejiggering of the trailer storage lot layout a siding or two could readily be installed to hold a number of centerbeams, flats, boxcars, etc without traversing what seems like wetlands, so that forklifts could easily access them to unload bulk quantities and pallets of wood, pipe, beams, concrete blocks, etc.
And yet... (to be fair, apparently Home Depot has (or had) a rail served distribution center on the CNE in Bloomfield, CT - can't seem to find mention of others Stockon CA[?], though)
  by Backshophoss

In most cases,deliveries to the retail stores are done by truck,flatbed/dry van,unless the store is next to the DC.
Most of the Building Materials will be from the Supplier/Vendor's Facilty in the area,both Lowe's and Home Depot in the Los Angeles
Metro area,have Lumber delivered to their DC's due to a lack of Supplier DC's
All the other items other than building materials will go from Factory, to DC,to retail store
Most DC's support between 200 up to 500 stores depending on the area/region it covers
On average at the store level,2-3 full trailers a week,might be more due holiday time as needed.
At least 1 full/partial trailer load of lumber,1full/partial trailer load of windows,trim pieces,
and 1 full trailer load of Sheetrock in various types on as needed basis.
Both Lowe's and Home Depot have Specialty DC's that are geared to handle certain products,
or serve as local warehouse for a Major city to handle Major Appliance delivery to the final customer
  by DaveBarraza

How does Coastal push their cars? Do they just tug them around with a front end loader or something?