Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirrmike

Hi gang!

I had a Hard Drive meltdown last night and lost all my pictures & web sites, plus alot of other things. I'm asking you all to please send me links for LIRR photo sites. There's one I'm looking for mainly, the opening page had the pictures listed by years ie 1960-1970 (?). You know what? Really any LIRR site that you think is cool. You can post here if you would like, but I would prefer you e-mail me off line. I should know better and back things up, but I haven't the time to sneeze! Well now I do, I got the flu so I can surf the net while I get better. Just need sites to surf! Thank you all very much!!!

Mike :wink:

[email protected]

Joe,

Please drop me a line, I lost all my contacts also.

by John 61

Here's the one that starts with 60's 70's

http://pasquale.dhs.org/lirr/
Last edited by John 61 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Paul

http://arrts-arrchives.com/
One of the best LIRR sites out there.
Dave Keller has a great one too. Just look for any of his postings.
Next time, get a Macintosh and you wont have these problems. :wink:

by lirrmike

Thanks all!

Now I have some surfing to do!
Paul, remember both Apple & Microsoft 'borrowed' the idea from Xerox.

Mike :wink: :wink:

by Lupo 10

Mike! I have posted an entire links page on our Twin Forks NRHS website. There are a lot there. I use it myself for an easy reference all the time.

P.S. if anyone see's a link that should be there that is pertinent to Long Island railroad history please let me know.

P.S. the link to the Twin Forks site is under my signature

Thanks

by scopelliti

Next time, get a Macintosh and you wont have these problems.
Huh? You mean Macintosh doesn't use a hard drive? Wow, learn something new every day!

Seriously, everything material eventually fails. Hard drives do not know whether they are running on a Mac, or a PC, or a Spart system, or an Alpha, or an IBM mainframe, or anything else. The better comment to make is "Next time, have some backup as failure insurance." CD writers are not that expensive, and the media certainly is cheap.

by Dave Keller

My son just bought a flash drive, on sale at a great price with rebates.

The gadget is the size of your middle finger (very appropriate for a Long Islander) and holds varying amounts of data. His holds 1 gigabyte and allows partitioning and even a password!

Some have an even larger capacity!

It plugs into your USB port and automatically assumes the next available drive (i.e. D:\ or E:\, etc.).

From what I can see from my limited computer knowledge, this will put CD burners (for data and photos) in the same class as the 8-track tape and Betamax!!! (or, in my case, vinyl records!)

You can literally back up your entire hard drive on something that hooks onto your key ring

I've got one on my "next thing to buy" list!

Dave Keller

by lirrmike

Gang, I have another request (don't say it!).

I had a web site that had great aerial photos of areas down to the street. It wasn't MapQuest or TerraServer. I thought I got the link from here, but I looked through most of the resent posts and couldn't find it. Best of all it was free! I was able to see my house on this site neat! Thanks once again.

Mike :wink:

PS: Looking into those flash drives.

by John 61

Mike,

Here it is, New York State Interactive Mapping Gateway

http://www1.nysgis.state.ny.us/MainMap.cfm

by lirrmike

That's it!! Thank you.

Mike