• Picture for identification (steam era photos of Ludlow, MA)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Leo Sullivan

Recently found the negative of the enclosed photo.
It was labelled "B&A locomotive near the station".
I'd like to know more.
Can anyone pin down the location?
I have an idea it is west of Palmer but am looking for real knowledge.
Leo S.
  by Leo Sullivan

Found another one, obviously part of the same series and, this time
labelled "Ludlow".
That answers the question and, here's the other one.
I've looked at the place where the track crossed Winsor street and
the change could not be more complete.
LS
  by toolmaker

Those "oldtimer" pictures are great. A brakeman is proudly standing on a boxcar in each one. Now that you know the location the topic title should be corrected to reflect the content.
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

Awesome pictures.They all look so proud to be there.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Wow! Link-and-pin couplers, diamond stack, oil headlight - is that wood in the tender? Gotta be 1870 - ish ?

PBM
  by dcm74

Ludlow was on the Athol Branch of the Boston & Albany. Boston & Albany purchased the line in 1880. The north end of the line from Athol to Bondsville was removed in 1935 with the construction of the Quabbin Reservoir. The Hurricane of 1938 knocked out the trackage between Ludlow and Bondsville.
Penn Central abandoned the segment between Indian Orchard (part of Springfield) in 1970. The track from Springfield to Indian Orchard leaves the CSX Boston Line at Athol Junction.
  by jaymac

U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 pm
Awesome pictures.They all look so proud to be there.
Given the lack of airbrakes and the lack of knuckle couplers, they were probably proud -- and happy -- to be anywhere.
  by Leo Sullivan

Here is another from that box of negatives. Even for an industrial locomotive it is
pretty crude. I don't know the owner (but I expect that the building in the background
would reveal that). I now know that all these pictures, most of which are mill pictures, are
taken in Ludlow, MA. or across the river in Indian Orchard. Comparing old Richards' atlases
with Google Maps shows very little exists today.
  by e7401

I think the first picture is on the Athol branch, in Ludlow. The next two are from the Ludlow Mill.
The B&A would drop and pick-up cars in Wilbraham at Ludlow Jct( on the Boston main line) The engine
in the third picture would come over the Chicopee river bridge and switch the Jct, The bridge is still there,
  by Leo Sullivan

Here is the map of Ludlow in 1912. All pictures posted here were taken in the
area of this map. Note that there are two ways out of the mill complex. I'm
guessing that the small locomotive served trains going out the bottom of the
map (B&A Main Line) leaving them on the interchange track.
Branch trains were probably made up on the siding going through the two
warehouses and were picked up there by B&A locomotives (picture 2)
LS
  by Leo Sullivan

For those who are following this, here is the last picture of trains at Ludlow.
I now know a lot more than I did about Ludlow and hope everyone else enjoyed it as much.
This picture is at the station (branch) from the other direction.
LS
  by CannaScrews

BandA wrote:Great pics; The river/stream marked waste (something) on the map is disturbing
Not that dumping of effluents into your local waterway was in practice at that time & up to the 1960s or so, but I think the "Waste Way" designation is the tailrace from the water powered mills IMHO.
  by BandA

CannaScrews wrote:
BandA wrote:Great pics; The river/stream marked waste (something) on the map is disturbing
Not that dumping of effluents into your local waterway was in practice at that time & up to the 1960s or so, but I think the "Waste Way" designation is the tailrace from the water powered mills IMHO.
As in dioxins and other chemicals used to break down the trees and bleach them into paper.
  by etna9726b

I love the clarity of the old black and white film/pictures.

Note the Waste Way Canal passed by buildings #1 and #2. Ironic.