• photos:blue siren?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ctaman34

whats that blue siren?

by jfrey40535

Another useless SEPTA technological innovation? Looks something like the blue lights that indicate the trolleys in CC aren't running in the tunnels. Maybe to indicate that no trains are running on the lower level at Pattison? Who knows, SEPTA is great at cryptography. I'd love to see an out of towner at 13th Street try to figure out what the blue strobe light there signifies.

by glennk419

Blue lights / blue markers used to indicate that a train or track was out of service whether it be for inspection, maintenance or sometimes just for cleaning. The blue lights are still in place at Suburban, I remember blue flags placed on the rails or equipment at Reading terminal and blue flashers in the yard at Paoli. Not sure if they're still used today.

by ctaman34

jfrey40535 wrote:Another useless SEPTA technological innovation? Looks something like the blue lights that indicate the trolleys in CC aren't running in the tunnels. Maybe to indicate that no trains are running on the lower level at Pattison? Who knows, SEPTA is great at cryptography. I'd love to see an out of towner at 13th Street try to figure out what the blue strobe light there signifies.
is it something to indctae a train is departing or no

by Jersey_Mike

That blue light for maintainence is a railroad thing and might not apply to transit.
  by Matthew Mitchell

I vaguely recall there also being lights like that in the 8th Street subway station, and they lit when a train was arriving. There was never any sign indicating that was their purpose though.
  by ctaman34

Matthew Mitchell wrote:I vaguely recall there also being lights like that in the 8th Street subway station, and they lit when a train was arriving. There was never any sign indicating that was their purpose though.
it's like that in nyc but it's color is orange